What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
For an interesting comparison to I HUNT KILLERS, I read COUNTERFEIT SON by Elaine Marie Alphin. Both have MMCs who are sons of serial killers, and both were handled so differently - in CS, Cameron is only fourteen, and he impersonates one of his father's victims because the family have sail boats and he just wants to sail, and be safe. The characters of Jazz (IHK) and Cameron are so different, and my heart just broke for all Cameron went through, and the ending. THE ENDING. This is an old one (2000, but read more like the '80s) but so good.
Definitely read it if you've just read I HUNT KILLERS!

Now onto THE RAVEN BOYS by Maggie Stiefvater, because I found it in WHSmith totally unexpectedly (I assumed us Brits would have to wait at least a year) and put it right at the top of my TBR pile :)

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Bewitching. It was just as good as Beastly. I'll admit that I didn't connect to the characters on quite the same level (which is odd, because the MC reminded me a lot of myself) but I loved getting to know the witch better and read from her POV occasionally. Oh, it was also nice that the MC didn't end up with the guy she spent most of the book interested in/dating. Nice change of pace there.

I just read the first chapter of Long Lankin by Lindsey Barraclough. Not sure how I feel about it yet, but it was only one chapter.

SillyMom25

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Such a Rush by Jennifer Echols. Love it. Damn, that woman can do sexual tension.

rynthewin

Plotting Princess
Registered
Reaction score
I'm behind the times, but I'm currently reading Insurgent. It's fairly good, but it isn't blowing me away (though I like it better than the first book).

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
I'm behind the times, but I'm currently reading Insurgent. It's fairly good, but it isn't blowing me away (though I like it better than the first book).
You're ahead of me. I still haven't picked up Divergent.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Reading ADAPTATION. I loved the first part, but then it suddenly switched into an understated sort of contemporary romance... waiting to see what will come next, because the beginning was wow.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm reading Stealing Parker by Miranda Kenneally. It released today. Loving it. (-:

JustJess

Registered
Reaction score
4 of my library holds came in at once and now I'm trying to choose between:
-The Diviners
-The Raven Boys
-The Unnaturalists
-Touched

Any recommendations?

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Finishing up The Girl of Fire and Thorns. Interesting how it's like almost a crusade against the Rule of Cool trope.
4 of my library holds came in at once and now I'm trying to choose between:
-The Diviners
-The Raven Boys
-The Unnaturalists
-Touched

Any recommendations?
I haven't read the other three, but The Raven Boys was interesting and unusual. It's not precisely magical realism but in the vein of it.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Reading POISON PRINCESS.
I was completely taken by the logline/teaser thing for it, but the book itself seems to go in a pretty different direction. The teaser says: 22 Arcana cards. 22 young assassins. May the best hand live. So I expected a Highlander/Battle Royale/Hunger Games type of plot.

Chanelley

Registered
Reaction score
I ended up LOVING The Raven Boys.

Now reading Crown of Embers and loving this too.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Last edited:

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Currently reading: ASHFALL by Mike Mullin. >> WOW. I thought I was done w/YA Dystopia and then I cracked open this. One of the most realistic dystopians I've read (like plausibility wise).

Just got out of the library: our very own Bethany Griffin's MASQUE of the RED DEATH. :)

MargoWest

the chart is not the sea
Registered
Reaction score
I just started reading Throne of Glass. Liking it so far!

Ellielle

needs something clever to put here
Registered
Reaction score
For an interesting comparison to I HUNT KILLERS, I read COUNTERFEIT SON by Elaine Marie Alphin. Both have MMCs who are sons of serial killers, and both were handled so differently - in CS, Cameron is only fourteen, and he impersonates one of his father's victims because the family have sail boats and he just wants to sail, and be safe. The characters of Jazz (IHK) and Cameron are so different, and my heart just broke for all Cameron went through, and the ending. THE ENDING. This is an old one (2000, but read more like the '80s) but so good.
Definitely read it if you've just read I HUNT KILLERS!
Took this advice last night and read COUNTERFEIT SON (I was looking for a short read to be able to finish in one night, and it was perfect). It was very different from my usual fare, but still engaging. Quite sad, though. I was thankful it ended as it did.

Next up, I have THE DIVINERS (by Libba Bray), which I originally bought to read last night then realized how long it was. I've spoiled myself recently with books I can read in one sitting (and discovered I rather like this). But that one would be a heck of a long sitting to finish.

LadyA

Registered
Reaction score
Took this advice last night and read COUNTERFEIT SON (I was looking for a short read to be able to finish in one night, and it was perfect). It was very different from my usual fare, but still engaging. Quite sad, though. I was thankful it ended as it did.

COUNTERFEIT SON was great, and a really interesting contrast to I HUNT KILLERS. I really liked Cameron and felt so SO sorry for him all the way through. I think I would've liked the ending even more, and been drawn into Cameron's struggle more, if I'd hadn't sort of guessed the BIG THING at the end fromn a review I read :( . But it was done well, and I'm so pleased someone tried one of my morbid, dark book recommendations ;)

Just finished a bit of Brit lit - SILENCED by Simon Packham. The concept of a mute MC was really interesting to read, and Packham absolutely nailed the voice - it read just like a sixteen year old boy, you could almost hear him in your head. And the characters - even the minor characters - were very well-drawn and three dimensional (except for perhaps Will).
Only disappointment was the way the whole novel was leading up to why the MC felt so crazily guilty about his best friend's death - I was expecting a bit more of a WOW revelation. Also the MC says early on about how he did some really regrettable, criminal things with Will, and they were pretty tame ;)

Now onto AU REVOIR, CRAZY EUROPEAN CHICK by Joe Schreiber.

LadyA

Registered
Reaction score
I ended up LOVING The Raven Boys.

Now reading Crown of Embers and loving this too.

I started reading TRB, but have temporarily given up - I really wanted to love it, but although MS is still amazing with setting and characterisation, the whole thing with the ley lines and dead Welsh kings is a bit tedious for me (hey, what can I say, I'm a contemporary YA kinda girl!).

I'm at the bit where the three raven boys get their fortunes told, but after that - does it get better?

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Amy I felt like TRB was complete set up for Book 2. People will obviously disagree with me :) and lol I'm sure they have as it's a NYTbestseller, but I just liked it didn't love it. Basically I need Book 2 to get into Book 1. :Shrug:

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Finally finished Long Lankin a moment ago. It wasn't bad, but it was pretty tedious to read. I got really fed up early on with all the slang. Yes, the author is British so I'm sure it was all accurate, but there was so much of it, the same words over and over.

Next up is Sweetly by Jackson Pearce.

Katallina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathyanncoleman.blogspot.com
I'm reading Throne of Glass and totally loving it. Definitely getting passed along to my brother and my boyfriend when I'm finished.

Up next is either:
-- Defiance
-- Dearly, Beloved
-- Alice in Zombieland

Thoughts?

Yeasayer

see you on a dark night
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Stealing Parker by Miranda Kenneally. It released today. Loving it. (-:

Different strokes. I had to put this down after two chapters. To be fair, it was a longshot because it features two of my least favorite topics: baseball and religion. Still, the writing didn't do it for me. Some of the pop culture references were laughably dated, too.

Working through WHERE THINGS COME BACK, but also re-reading HOW TO SAY GOODBYE IN ROBOT by Natalie Standiford, which is one of my favorites. (It holds up well.)

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Amy I felt like TRB was complete set up for Book 2. People will obviously disagree with me :) and lol I'm sure they have as it's a NYTbestseller, but I just liked it didn't love it. Basically I need Book 2 to get into Book 1. :Shrug:
I hoped it would have an ending. I mean, it has such a slow build-up--we deserve some pay-off. xd
Still, I like it. There's something about it... tangible. Like you are right there with them.
It's interesting that it's a NYTbestseller--I wouldn't have thought so, because it struck me as very "indie". Not to everyone's taste.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished with Sweetly. It was okay, I guess. I kind of feel like Pearce needs to move beyond the werewolves (werewolves, in a Hansel & Gretel retelling? what?) so I'm hoping there's no trace of them in her third fairy tale book, Fathomless, whenever I pick that up.

For right now I'm moving on to something called Above, by Leah Bobet. Never heard of it before I found it on the library shelf, but it sounds interesting enough.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Reading Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake. Only a chapter in so far, but it's giving my great hope that I'll actually be spooked :)

Status
Not open for further replies.