Learn Writing with Uncle Jim, Volume 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
One circumstance where I've seen second person work well is when it's clear that "you" is not actually the reader, but a distinct character the narrator is addressing. An example being John Scalzi's THE SAGAN DIARY, in which the narrator is speaking addressing her husband for most of the story. I'm not sure that cases like that really count as second-person, though, as they feel more like either first (the narrator) or third-person detached (as with epistolary novels, in which readers might see letters that address the intended recipient in the second person, but we're not actually inside the head of the person who wrote the letter--we're observing externally). UJ, am I on crack about those being second person?

I don't want to say you're on crack, but that's not second person. ;) In the Scalzi example you give since there is a narrator, even if most of the book is in "you" form, it is third or first person depending on how the narrator refers to herself, I or she. epistolary novels, also, are not second person.

Second person is a weird POV. It's even hard to explain because most people, when they think of second person, end up putting a narrator behind "you". (as in the Scalzi example) That there is some unseen person telling you what you are doing. But if there is an unseen narrator then it's not second person. It is closer in form to first person than 3rd person. In first person, the narrator is clear, it is the "I" character. In 2nd person, the narrator is the "you" character. I've written in 2nd person, and I think everyone should try it. It can be fun.

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
What planet are you from? The bible is NOT a piece of american literature. :)

I kind of is... Don't we own the world? Doesn't that make all literature American?

I know I saw the deed around here somewhere. Somebody go ask Bush where he put all the deeds when he left...

<returns tongue to the center of mouth>

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
I'm beginning to understand why they are having trouble with the Middle East peace talks. You folks are hyper-sensitive about what tense a novel is written in. Please remember, everyone has an opinion. Your opinion is just as valid to you, as mine is to me. I don't think the literary world will come to an end if your opinion isn't shared by everyone else.

Last edited:

MiltonPope

Registered
Reaction score
I should check in more often. I find myself involved in a brouhaha/rhubarb/dustup.

Maestro thought my statement was too sweeping. It probably was. If his response seemed curt, well, Maestro's one of the reasons I hang around here, and I'm always glad to hear from him. Also, Empress's mention of Damon Runyon reminds me that the annoyance isn't universal even for me. I like Damon Runyon.

--Milton

Perle_Rare

Dragon rider
Registered
Reaction score
Uncle Jim,

I was wondering when we could have fun disecting another first page? I'd recommend Twilight (which I haven't read yet) in honor of the day but anything else would do too.

Calliopenjo

Esteemed thinker
Registered
Reaction score
In a townhouse over looking the tumble weed fields
I'm just going to say this. I went to Amazon.com and looked up Twilight. I read the first two pages of the "Look Inside" feature they have. Two things I pick out that are obvious. First is Bella Swan. If anyone is aware of the name Bella, it means beautiful. So the meaning of the name is beautiful swan. I don't know about anybody else, but I pick out my names carefully giving thought to their meanings and origins. She complains about everything starting with the first page. Okay maybe not everything since I only read the first two pages, but she complained about her father, leaving Phoenix, living in Washington where it rained constantly. That about encompassed the first two pages.

I wondered about this book, only because my oldest niece "loved loved loved" this book. After everything I heard about it, both good and bad, I was intrigued to find out about before spending what $15 (I haven't looked at the price in a bookstore so I could be wrong. Amazon.com has over eighty used books for sale under $10) for this book. Now I know not to.

Neversage

Part of the Scenery
Registered
Reaction score
I read the first page, and only continued to the second because I'm familiar with the Pacific Northwest, and felt some connection. I read the second page, and turned only to find out why all of this information was important. I didn't find enough on page three to make me care.

I'll inevitably end up reading this book due to the demands of friends and family members, but I'm finishing the Grisham I'm on on first; and a few other books I haven't started yet.

smsarber

Coming soon to a nightmare near you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Sleep... Those little slices of Death. How I loath
Makes sense. Swans are notoriously mean-spirited. ;)
Anybody read The Trumpet of the Swan? I was in maybe fourth grade, but I remember loving that book. It was about a swan who couldn't honk(trumpet) so a boy helped him, and cut the webbing in one of his feet so he could work the keys on a trumpet.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program...

Krintar

Registered
Reaction score
I was planning to avoid posting until I finished the first draft of my novel, but damn - the retitling of this thread took me from 'quietly amused' to 'cackling aloud'...
Also: hi!
//back to work

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
Jim,

I've noticed that many books can be bought from Amazon for crazy knockdown prices. "New and Used from $2.95" or "Used - in good condition for $0.01" Even some recent books can be bought in this way.

How does this benefit the author? How much royalty would he/she get from a 1 cent sale?

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
Aw man, I missed the title of this thread yesterday. What was it?

Also, I don't know if this has been covered before, but: Pen Names. How do they work, and who decides them--you, the publisher, the agent?

Perle_Rare

Dragon rider
Registered
Reaction score
Aw man, I missed the title of this thread yesterday. What was it?

Reading Twilight with Uncle Jim.

The AW site became a kind of Twilight "zone". All sorts of threads were renamed with Twilight references and many people had Twilight avatars. Even Uncle Jim sparkled! ;)

Also, I don't know if this has been covered before, but: Pen Names. How do they work, and who decides them--you, the publisher, the agent?

Do a search through the threads. There's a slew of them on pen names. I don't have time right now or I'd dig you up a few. Sorry.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jim,

I've noticed that many books can be bought from Amazon for crazy knockdown prices. "New and Used from $2.95" or "Used - in good condition for $0.01" Even some recent books can be bought in this way.

How does this benefit the author? How much royalty would he/she get from a 1 cent sale?

I'm not Uncle Jim, but...an author doesn't make any money from the sale of a used book! :)

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com

There aren't any additional royalties. The author already got paid for that physical copy.

Remember that the number one reason anyone buys and reads a book is because the reader already read and enjoyed another book by that same author. So the author benefits that way -- the creation of another loyal fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.