Indulging Our Health Care Fantasies

Are YOU willing to pay more to provide universal health care?

• Total voters

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What percentage of your gross income do you pay for healthcare?

I'd say it's closing in on thirty percent, only I don't get to trust my doctors and I have a big fat deductable, and let's not forget the ol' CAP. A million or two doesn't go very far when it comes to sick people, but who the fuck cares?? They SHOULD worry about losing their homes because they're sick. After all, it's not the insurance company's fault that the misfortunate got sick. . . . And btw, why should the young and strong have to pay for anybody else anyway? Why should they have to pay for you?

Robert Toy

FOB and Slayer of windmills
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say it's closing in on thirty percent, only I don't get to trust my doctors and I have a big fat deductable, and let's not forget the ol' CAP. A million or two doesn't go very far when it comes to sick people, but who the fuck cares?? They SHOULD worry about losing their homes because they're sick. After all, it's not the insurance company's fault that the misfortunate got sick. . . . And btw, why should the young and strong have to pay for anybody else anyway? Why should they have to pay for you?
you're ranting

I'm sorry you have such a fucked up insurance system and that you feel that you dislike the "young and strong" having to pay for everyone else.

NOT MY FAULT, NOT THE FAULT OF THE FRENCH SYSTEM AND IF EVEN IT WAS...TOUGH SHIT.

you need to take a nap

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu

*bolding mine*

Just because you're young and strong doesn't mean you can't get sick, does it? You'd probably be able to scrape up a modicum of credibility when you rant about things you don't understand if you'd attempt even feebly to avoid using broad generalizations and unsubstantiated opinions in place of fact.

Last edited:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I heard this interview earlier this evening:
http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2009/06/15/pm_health_care_q/
Here's what I think is the most pertinent exchange:
Ryssdal: Well, let me make sure I understand that. If doctors and hospitals are making less money, what is that do for the quality of care? I'm just trying to think about the argument that's going to come up on Capitol Hill on this one.

MELNICK: Quality will have to suffer in some way. Whether it's through reduced access, whether it's through slower development of new technology. There are a number of economists who feel that health-care is expensive for good reason. And the reason is that it's valuable. That new innovation and new technology, while it may add to the cost of the health-care system, also brings with it tremendous benefits. The real challenge is can we develop a system to do the research to identify those things that are going to be high value in the first place, and to screen out those things that are low value and not adopt them as quickly as we have in the past. And that will be a challenge, but I think there's potential savings there. I don't know any country that has done it very well so far, because new innovation is just so complex and hard to predict.
I hope SOME country is willing to pay more, so medical research will continue at the pace it has been in recent decades, so as I get older and get some of those ailments older people are supposed to get, there will be ways of treating them, at least somewhere in the world, so I can go there and get treated.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
There are rights, and there are privileges. Health care is a privilege. Greedy people, needy people, and the people who want the greedy and needy to be beholden to them are all for changing our perception of it.

There is no human right to quality health care. The universe will not provide for you if you do not provide for yourself. That's called a responsibility.

The needies, greedies, and their handlers are just trying to be clever about it, and seeing what they can do about getting someone else to foot the bill.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Just because you're young and strong doesn't mean you can't get sick, does it?
Well, there's a fine point here - I'm not sure how health insurance is priced (if or how much of it is age-based), but car insurance discriminates by age - those under 25 pay more because of the extra risks of that age group.

Then again, a lot of under-25's would rather pay for a fast car and the high cost of insurance for it than for health insurance, and that's what they do. Of course, they would NEVER get in a bad wreck that requires hospitalization...

aquacat

Registered
Reaction score
Bottom Line: Are YOU willing to pay more to provide universal health care?

I'm willing to pay whatever it takes to live in a civilized country which recognizes that we all do better when we ALL do better.

So yes.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Health care is a "privilege"?

What about those laws that say hospitals can't turn patients away?

If you had continued reading you'd have answered this question all by yourself.

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Health care is a "privilege"?

What about those laws that say hospitals can't turn patients away?

I believe--and I could be wrong, but I believe--that the way that worked out legally was that any hospital that receives federal money is obligated by the government to treat any individual that presents in an emergency. When I was a kid in Tennessee in the early eighties, Vanderbilt University Hospital turned away a gentleman brought in by ambulance to their emergency room because he didn't have insurance. he died en route to another hospital in the city, and the resulting lawsuit's decision was based on the above statement. I'll try to dig up the citation for you later. Vanderbilt tried to get out of legal responsibility by stating that they were a private hospital, but lost the case because it is an adjunct of a university that receives federal money.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
I did continue reading. I was even nice enough to read it again, just for you.

There are rights, and there are privileges. Health care is a privilege. Greedy people, needy people, and the people who want the greedy and needy to be beholden to them are all for changing our perception of it.

There is no human right to quality health care. The universe will not provide for you if you do not provide for yourself. That's called a responsibility.

The needies, greedies, and their handlers are just trying to be clever about it, and seeing what they can do about getting someone else to foot the bill.

Was there a secret code?

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I always knew there was something secret painted on the Mona Lisa. I just
expected it to be: "For a good time, call..."

"...Francois, King of France and Burgundy. Do not bother if your last name is Boleyn or if you have syphilis."

heh. I've been reading too much fifteenth century history lately.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*bolding mine*

Just because you're young and strong doesn't mean you can't get sick, does it? You'd probably be able to scrape up a modicum of credibility when you rant about things you don't understand if you'd attempt even feebly to avoid using broad generalizations and unsubstantiated opinions in place of fact.

You simply have no idea what I was saying. Absolutely none. You're so anxious to be hostile that you don't even attempt to understand my position and refute the actual position. Do you ever read my posts in context? I suppose it doesn't matter. A conversation with you is impossible for me.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
I already pay for medicare and medicaid. It's taken out of my check. Here's a real world example.

My friend who was 20 at the time lost her job and of course her insurance. She tried to get onto medicare/medicaid but was told that she was not eligible. Because she had no children, was not an immigrant, and was not a minority. She had some pressing medical needs that she could not get done because she had no insurance. She also wasn't eligible for food stamps either.

She found a job that hired her for 8 hours a week. The job market was not and is still not huge here. The whole time she was working where she had benefits and the job she had where she was only hired for 8 hours a week they took money out of her check for medicare/medicaid. She now has a new job and is waiting for benefits to kick in.

So, yeah I would pay for universal health care because I'm already paying for healthcare for other people. Why can't I be eligible for it as well?

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

And which category do people who are born with chronic diseases or children whose parents can't afford healthcare or older people who have worked all their lives but can't pay for their prescription medicines fall into?

The needies or the greedies?

The United States spends a higher portion of it's GDP (15.3%) than Japan, Germany, Switzerland or the United Kingdom yet still lags in both infant mortality rates and life expectancy. We pay more, get sicker and die sooner. Best healthcare in the world? Hardly.

Were you aware there is universal health care in both Afghanistan and Iraq? You should be. You're paying for it with funding for the wars.

Thanks for proving yet again that John Kenneth Galbraith knew what he was talking about when he said, "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."