Time passed in a post apocalyptic setting

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanMorrison

Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a fantasy story with a bit of a post apocalyptic vibe. Up until now, I've been saying that it's set six centuries after the cataclysm that ended civilisation, but it occurs to me that I can no longer remember the rationale for that decision, and the more I think about it the more that time scale seems problematic for elements of the story I want to use. So I figured I'd revisit it here and see what you brilliant folk have to say. :)

The basic setting is this: a set of nations with 1940-50s level technology are hit by a massive cataclysm. It's not a destructive cataclysm like a nuclear holocaust, but more of a corruption of the environment that makes even short term exposure fatal to human beings. The only safe areas are relatively small pieces of land the size of large towns or cities, referred to as havens, that people desperately tried to get to when the corruption (the blight) started to appear. Needless to say, the loss of life was catastrophic, along with the loss of knowledge and infrastructure. After everything settled down, ways to travel the blight and salvage vital supplies from it (some of which were necessary to maintain the protective qualities of the havens), but the world hasn't gotten any more hospitable in the meantime. If anything, it's been getting worse.

The story I want to tell is well after all this went down, however. What I can't decide on is how long afterwards it should be. These are my requirements:
  • Societies need to have acclimated to the changes
  • There absolutely cannot be anyone who remembers how it was before... it's best if it's ancient history to them.
  • There's a prophecy with obscure origins that predicts the eventual end of the blight. It needs to have had time to disseminate to all the havens and gain a foothold in local folklore and religious practises.
  • They shouldn't have run out of bullets yet, despite not having the capacity to make them. I want them still able to use their pre-cataclysm rifles, even if they have to carefully manage ammo and use more primitive weapons like swords, spears, or bow and arrow if the situation doesn't warrant the heavy firepower. Ammunition needs to be augmented by salvage. The maintainence of weapons can be ignored to an extent... they've got some magic that helps keep them in working over for longer periods of time, along with some of their other machinery.
  • The salvage of materials can't have run out yet. This is in an area about the size of modern day France, with a dozen havens or so with less than 50K people between them picking away at the carcass of their old society. It's great if the supplies are running low.
  • A primitive group of nomads who were relegated to reserves pre-cataclysm need to have had the time to swell their population so that they outnumber humanity by a significant margin. They aren't human, so it's okay if they've got much higher fertility. Likewise, the buffalo-like herd animals they rely on for food need to have had time to create the massive herds that pre-European North America was known for.
Given those parameters, what would be a believable time frame to set my story in? My gut feeling is that 600 years is much too long, and they'd have long since run out of salvage opportunities, been overrun by the natives, or simply overwhelmed by the corruption outside their havens. At the very least, they'd be out of ammunition! I recognize that these are rather fuzzy requirements to work from, but I'd really appreciate some help with this.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
600 years is too long, for two reasons.

First, is rust. Most of the things they would be wanting to salvage would have rusted into nothingness by that time.

And second, gun powder. The stuff doesn't like to be stored. After a short amount of time it begins to crystallize and cause lag fuse, slow burn, and many other problems. This can happen in as little as (I think) 30 years.

Humans are very adaptive species, look at how quickly we adapted to things like modern medicine and computers. The only thing we seem to ever lag behind on is war strategies.

Also the simple methods for making gun powder and bullets is very easy. The casting of lead shot has been around since the early greeks. Granted, they were used in slings instead of guns but eh. And gun powder is coal/charcoal which can be made from coal or half burnt wood, and salt peter. Salt peter can be extracted from many sources, limestone, urine, and guano.

Likely the technology for making bullets would be kept around, especially since it is so easy and not an unknown thing (A lot of people in the 40's were still making their own.) However, due to the large areas that would become inaccessible to people, getting things like lead and magnesium for starters might limit shots.

About 100 to 150 years ago should do the trick. No one today remembers what life was like in the post civil war us, or the great depression times (nearly, just a few more years.) and our society is substantially different now.

IanMorrison

Registered
Reaction score
150 sounds believable to me. That's a good point about the ammunition... I hadn't realized that smokeless powder munitions were only good for a couple decades. Apparently black powder keeps, though, which is interesting enough.

Black powder does seem ridiculously practical in this instance, so I'm going to have to revise my armanents to have black powder weaponry involved to a large extent. Those can be made into cartidges, but the byproducts of the reaction make automatic or semi-automatic weapons impossible. Bullets and casings aren't too much of an issue either. Casings are no trouble materials wise, and bullets could probably be worked around even if lead wasn't available.

Now, I'm trying to figure out if the production of smokeless powder is believable. I've given at least one of the Havens access to cotton crops, so the real question here is would they be able to make the nitric acid required to turn it into guncotton. Following wikipedia links tells me that the process required is oxidizing ammonia at 850 C in the presence of platinum for a catalyst, producing nitric oxide. After that, it's just exposing that to oxygen to create nitrogen dioxide, and mixing that with water to make the acid. So... the question becomes ammonia and platinum.

If we assume platinum will be easily salvaged from their factories one way or another, I think that it becomes fairly easy to deal with. The only thing I can't figure out is if the Haber process would remain viable. Certainly, there's a lot of impetus to keep it so... the same ammonia that would be useful for creating munitions would be able to fertilize crops.

Would they still be able to make percussion caps, or would they need to find a new kind of primer for their cartidges, or move to old fashioned front loaded weaponry?

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
If they have an outlet to the ocean then they could make percussion caps for their guns. Otherwise, they would have to find a new way to prime their bullets. I think that once we developed cartridges, the idea of a muzzle loading gun like that became so ludicrous that we wouldn't do it again. If they couldn't get any percussion ignited material, such as magnesium then they might make cartridges that had a hole in the base for a fuse, and a flammable material such as paper to cover it.

Guncotton, from what I saw of it, was very unstable unless you could treat it with alcohol or ether. If they have a source of those then it could believably be treated to make smokeless powder.

Are your sure your not over thinking how to acquire the ammonia? There is a very easy source of that stuff, pretty close to every one of us, in us actually. Ah shoot, I'll just cut to the chase. Distill it out of urine. Platinum might be a problem, but if they know about factories then they could gather it.

One thought, why not disassemble the factory and reassemble it in the haven?

Having them reduced to semi-automatic black powder guns would be interesting, and provide you with your reason to resort to swords, bows and spears. If you can only fire a clip before your gun has to be disassembled and cleaned, it is unlikely you'll fight a whole battle with that one clip.

I'll be back in a bit, I'm going to go make some soda bread. :) ETA AWww, we're out of flour. :(

Last edited:

IanMorrison

Registered
Reaction score
If they have an outlet to the ocean then they could make percussion caps for their guns. Otherwise, they would have to find a new way to prime their bullets. I think that once we developed cartridges, the idea of a muzzle loading gun like that became so ludicrous that we wouldn't do it again. If they couldn't get any percussion ignited material, such as magnesium then they might make cartridges that had a hole in the base for a fuse, and a flammable material such as paper to cover it.

The Haven in question is on a river that leads out to the ocean, though I'm not sure that's sufficient. However, there are other havens on the coast, and they could trade with them.

Guncotton, from what I saw of it, was very unstable unless you could treat it with alcohol or ether. If they have a source of those then it could believably be treated to make smokeless powder.

It would be a crazy world indeed if there wasn't booze available. :)

One thought, why not disassemble the factory and reassemble it in the haven?

Main reason is the aforementioned blight. It can be traveled safely if you pack the right equipment, but it's very, very expensive to stay out there a prolonged period of time. The number of people you'd need to involve to dissassemble a factory in the blight then haul it back would be impossible... you simply can't shield that many people at one time economically.

Fortunately, the haven in question was a trade hub pre-cataclysm, so I would not be surprised if many of the relevant factories were within city limits.

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
The Haven in question is on a river that leads out to the ocean, though I'm not sure that's sufficient. However, there are other havens on the coast, and they could trade with them.

Trade would be possible, especially if they were trading the finished smokeless bullets/guns for the materials.

It would be a crazy world indeed if there wasn't booze available. :)
I'm thinking that it would need a much higher.. er proof than what you could brew naturally. I may be wrong though, so don't quote me on that.
I'm an absolute teetotaller so I wouldn't know. Also, since I'm a 19 year old American who actually follows the law unlike most of my friends. Eh. However, If your world is in any state that I think it is, Booze would be a requirement to human life. Its original purpose outside of partying was that it killed all of the nasty bacteria in the water so that you could safely have a drink
Main reason is the aforementioned blight. It can be traveled safely if you pack the right equipment, but it's very, very expensive to stay out there a prolonged period of time. The number of people you'd need to involve to dissassemble a factory in the blight then haul it back would be impossible... you simply can't shield that many people at one time economically.
My thought countering this is that if you could have an arms and weaponry factory inside your haven then the profit you could make would be quite great in a world of limited resources. And the protection factor.. It might well be worth a few human losses. It would be in the world I'm writing anyway, but that world is extremely cruel.
Fortunately, the haven in question was a trade hub pre-cataclysm, so I would not be surprised if many of the relevant factories were within city limits.

It would be a very very powerful city if it was. Especially if it was the only one with the facilities to make weapons on a large scale. When food, water and shelter are in high demand, the only thing that out scales them is weapons. Sad as it is.

I think my spell checker in this firefox is English instead of American. Color, Colour. Sure is.

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
I'm confused as to why they're still using and maintaining guns when they live in pocket-square land and can't travel?

Last edited:

IanMorrison

Registered
Reaction score
There are things out there with sufficient motivation to kill them. Including their haven-mates, on occasion. Interhaven war doesn't happen just because the logistics of it are beyond any of them, but there are other threats (for instance, the aforementioned nomads) for which the additional firepower is always appeciated.

Unfortunately, the same reason that war isn't viable rules out the kind of large scale salvage operation you're talking about, Nivarion. It's not just a matter of losing a lot of lives, they simply can't protect that many people at once. And anyone without protect will be dead in minutes, not the days or months required for ripping down and moving a factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.