Principles of War for Military SciFi/Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
Breaking off from the original thread which was so neatly derailed, this is a discussion on the use of the Principles of War for writing military-themed science fiction and fantasy.

The particular Principles under discussion are those employed by the modern United States military. Why? Because those are the ones I learned first, and I'm starting the thread. :)

Links:
Principles of War
United States Principles of War

In brief, as a reminder to everyone what the original discussion was about, here are the principles as quoted from Wikipedia citing the US Army Field Manual:

Objective - Direct every military operation toward a clearly defined, decisive, and attainable objective.

Offensive - Seize, retain, and exploit the initiative.

Mass - Mass the effects of overwhelming combat power at the decisive place and time.

Economy of Force - Employ all combat power available in the most effective way possible; allocate minimum essential combat power to secondary efforts.

Maneuver - Place the enemy in a position of disadvantage through the flexible application of combat power.

Unity of Command - For every objective, seek unity of command and unity of effort.

Security - Never permit the enemy to acquire an unexpected advantage.

Surprise - Strike the enemy at a time or place or in a manner for which he is unprepared.

Simplicity - Prepare clear, uncomplicated plans and concise orders to ensure thorough understanding.

Every operation from taking a hill to invading a country to blockading a port can be analyzed using these principles. This is not to say that every principle is vital to every operation. In a purely defensive action, for instance, Offensive isn't high on the priority, but a wise commander would allow for the possibility to exploit an enemy's weakness and turn a defensive action into an offensive one. That's a bit of an aside. Apologies.

Now, how do you use this stuff in your writing? That's the rub, and the valid criticism is here:

I just think the topic diverges too much into higher level issues that would have very minimal value in the story as presented.

For instance, when I play Squad Leader, a squad-based tactical WWII boardgame, I only need to know how to deploy my squads based on their abilities and my tasks in-scenario. I don't need to know how the entire army is organized, the types of tasks the army might need, or any of that. I need to know that HMG unit should be in cover with long lines of sight, and infantry units need to either dig in or get their asses moving.

Dclary's statement is a perfect example of scope. In Squad Leader you take on the role of a force commander (lieutenant, usually). Now, I know it's a game and not a book, but in our writing, don't we do much the same? Some books are written about generals others about privates. A general needs to know how to effectively employ his tanks and aircraft, and a private doesn't. So if my story is about a private surviving in the trenches, sure, the private doesn't need to know what the general would do. But as the writer, I should have some notion of what's available for me to use as I build my scenes. In that regard, you should look on force composition and employment as tools in the worldbuilding toolbox for composing scenes and adding character conflict.

Now, for our example of using the Principles in worldbuilding for a scifi/fantasy novel with a distinctly military flavor, let's use purely classic elements for The Invading Legions of Darkness. This is the prophesied apocalypse wherein the Evil races conquer the Good races. Our Strategic Objective (as determined by the Dark God as the ultimate political authority) is to invade the Great and Bountiful Empire and occupy its lands.

Objective - Seize the Shining Capital thereby shattering the enemy's command structure.
Very straightforward. The enemy's opposing force will be the Imperial Legions. They're tough, disciplined, and mildly fanatical (especially in a religious conflict as this surely is). Getting them out of the way would be beneficial, so a distraction is called for. In this case the objective defines a secondary objective.

Offensive - A lightning thrust to the heart of the Empire.
Resistance throughout the Empire will utterly collapse with the seizure of the Imperial City. To that end, the Imperial City is the only important goal. Supply lines will not be possible, and secondary objectives will be kept to a minimum. This is a high-risk offensive, but will end the conflict decisively and rapidly. The risk is considered worth the reward.

Mass - In this case, we're bringing everyone. Every One. This particular strategy leaves no room for error.
The Hinterlands, while a harsh and unforgiving territory where the Evil races were banished so long ago, has bred entire generations of tough, resolute people willing to give their lives in service to the Dark God. So, giants, goblins, orcs, dark elves, centaurs, and barbarians. Each troop type adds another tool to the box.

Economy of Force - Keep secondary objectives to a minimum, but be generous for the initial Feint.
We're bringing every last possible fighting creature, so Economy is kind of going by the wayside for the primary force. The Legions may end up being pushovers, or they may exceed their reputations. Hard to say. Individual fighting actions and secondary objectives will absolutely require that only the necessary forces are expended to accomplish those so that every available fighting arm is saved for the siege of the Imperial City. For the story, this could be a blind spot for the invading commanders, and a definite advantage for the Good Guys.

Maneuver - Keep the Legions off-balance through wide-ranging raids of important enemy positions.
The Legions tend to rely on foot infantry. We've got a lot of centaurs and barbarian cavalry at our command. We'll menace enemy cities, burn vulnerable townships, and sack relatively undefended monasteries. The cumulative effect will be to have the regional rulers hoarding their dedicated defenders and keeping them from massing for a counterattack on the primary invading force.

Unity of Command - The Dark Lord is in charge.
Straightforward, but not as simple as first glance may make it. The dark elves, centaurs, and barbarians all have their own sub-commanders dealing with the battlefield strengths they excel at. The orcs, goblins, and giants have their own leaders, but they're stupid, belligerent, greedy, and relatively undisciplined. Fortunately, unlike the 'good guys' our commander can enforce a very heavy-handed manner of discipline through simple execution.

Security - Scout. Scout. Scout. And Scout some more!
Keeping the general location of the invading horde a secret is going to be next to impossible. Keeping the specific location a secret should be a known goal. The absolute last thing they need is the opposing Legions massing up on terrain of their choosing, or attacking the (very) long column unannounced. To that end, the very troops that participate in raids and sackings should report in every last shred of intelligence they find. Additionally, let the Dark Elves fight their shadow wars with the Light Elves, and support the Dark Elves everywhere they require it.

Surprise - Let no knowledge of the impending invasion escape the Hinterlands before the horde actually gets underway.
The first sign of attacks from the Hinterlands should be the Feinting force making their noise a few hundred leagues away from the planned invasion route. Beyond that, strategic surprise is going to be nearly impossible to maintain. We're relying on our offensive initiative and overwhelming mass to see us through.

Simplicity - Invade the enemy city.
Everyone in the force from the top down knows the ultimate goal. An isolated element, like a raiding party that gets cut off, knows what's up. In that way, they can head that direction themselves. Additionally, each element knows its own role, raiding, scouting, main force, etc... When in doubt, look to the simplest immediate goal.

So that's our scenario. From this we can build many many possible stories. The Dark Lord's contention with his suboordinates. A raiding party cut off from the main force. A goblin in love with a dark elf. The little giant that could. At this point we narrow (or broaden) the scope. The military action sets the stage, and we have a somewhat solid idea of what the backdrop is.

Now, are these terms (Mass, Economy of Force, etc) going to be bandied about? In Fantasy writing, I'd tend to think not. This is rather distilled thinking, and, yes, on a very macro level. But, as you can see, working it all out gives us a few potential sources of conflict for the entire operation. Economy is a problem. They're not establishing a supply line in the hopes of destroying the empire inside of a month rather than in several years worth of campaigning. A breakdown of security could lead to a stall in the column and a halt to the entire offensive. Potentially disastrous, but can the Dark Lord's strategic prowess pull them out? So on, etc...

Now, working things out this way is clearly not the only way to do this. Many authors write quite successful scifi/fantasy without going into all of this detail. My assertion is that in works that have a solid basis in military actions, considering these principles will greatly assist in that writing. So, my question would be, what do other folks use to aid their worldbuilding in military scifi/fantasy?

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I use a shorter checklist, but again, I'm not looking at it from a purely organizational role, but in how do I want to create a victory for my protagonist (or loss, as the case may be).

Tactics, Troops, Terrain, Technology -- generally speaking, the force with the better 4 of these 4 elements will always win. 3 of 4 will usually win. 2 of 4 and a smaller force can outlast a larger one. 1 of four and you're in trouble. If you're beaten in all four categories, you're beaten before the battle ever begins.

As a quick example: Wallace had tactics, terrain and technology on his side at Stirling Bridge. At Falkirk, however, He was evenly matched in technology (beat, some would say), had lost the terrain advantage, and was outnumbered and tactically outplayed by Edward. Clearly he should have lost the battle no matter what. Thus Randall Wallace added the fiction of the Irish joining him and turned the terrain advantage to wallace, to make for better drama and allow the conceit of the Bruce's treachery to be the deciding factor of the battle.

Straka

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
danstraka.blogspot.com
I'd be one of the first in line to get all nerdy about TO&E's but realistically, that's largely academic. When is a division ever truly at full strength? Especially one that has been in a combat zone for any period of time.

What I found helpful was recreating scenarios in my WIP in a computer game. I had a world with WWII era tech and used Combat Mission to create the battles and play them out to determine how plausible they were. It help somewhat, but it was more fun playing out part of the book.

dclary: If you like squad leader you'll like this. Bit bigger scale but fun. I highly just for the gaming experience alone.

www.battlefront.com

zornhau

Swordsman
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
A useful post, but there's more to war than this, I think. For example, from Sun Tzu, Vegetius, Napoleon and general history...
  • Divide the enemy forces and defeat them in detail
  • Morale is a great multiplier of numbers
  • Win a war without striking a blow by destroying the enemy's ability to fight.
  • The best place to fight a battle is where your men have nowhere to run to.
  • Give your army small victories to show them that the enemy can be defeated
  • If you have to retreat, spring an ambush or two to slow the enemy up and boost morale.
So my first response has to be that to write strategy and army tactics well, there's no substitute for studying real campaigns and for reading the people who actually led armies.

Which ones to study, I think, depends on your tech and magic. An army in a magical world will behave differently from a historical medieval army. Conversely, I don't think you can just borrow modern doctrine using magic to supply airstrikes.

That said, handling the armies properly can illuminate a SF/F world. I need to think that one through before responding.

Vomaxx

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andiriel.blogspot.com
So my first response has to be that to write strategy and army tactics well, there's no substitute for studying real campaigns and for reading the people who actually led armies.

That is the truth. Good for you, for reminding us.

And while the theories and principles are important, we must not forget Clausewitz: "War is the realm of uncertainty; three-quarters of the factors on which action in war is based are wrapped in a fog of greater or lesser uncertainty.... War is the realm of chance. No other human activity gives it greater scope... Chance makes everything more uncertain and interferes with the whole course of events" (Bk. I, Ch. 3)

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
The point to the thread, Zornhau, is that unless you know what you're looking for, studying military campaigns, individual battles, or ancient manuscripts isn't going to help the average military writer.

It's not enough to know *that* someone did something. That simply makes you a student of history, and a copy cat as a writer.

You need to know *why* he did it. That makes you a historian and creator of armies.

My take on ancient manuscripts: http://xkcd.com/593/

zornhau

Swordsman
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
The point to the thread, Zornhau, is that unless you know what you're looking for, studying military campaigns, individual battles, or ancient manuscripts isn't going to help the average military writer.

It's not enough to know *that* someone did something. That simply makes you a student of history, and a copy cat as a writer.

You need to know *why* he did it. That makes you a historian and creator of armies.
http://xkcd.com/593/

Transplanting historical* action is obviously going to be a bad idea if the magic and tech have any impact on the military field.

*However, many modern books recount campaigns while explaining the ideas behind them, e.g. the Osprey books, or the Complete Book of the Roman Army, or anything by Paddy Griffith.

Also, historical military manuals in translation such as Vegetius are surprisingly easy to follow, a good read even.

But really my point was that the listing of principles at the start of this thread is incomplete and that if you want to play imaginatively with war, you need to dip into real wars and real experiences.

I didn't mean to derail this thread! I'm interested in people's thoughts about using any sort of systematic thinking about war when writing about it in an SF/F setting.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
The principles are a good starting place for sure, to understand the mechanics.

I also see it as an opportunity to show an inept commander/army with some specific flaws if they do not grasp one or more principles. Too often in fantasy, the only flaw a commander has is arrogance that frontal assaults are the only way. I'd like to see a semi-competent commander in over his head, promoted above his quality, and flounder along. Obviously on the protagonists side to create tension.

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
The principles are a good starting place for sure, to understand the mechanics.

I also see it as an opportunity to show an inept commander/army with some specific flaws if they do not grasp one or more principles. Too often in fantasy, the only flaw a commander has is arrogance that frontal assaults are the only way. I'd like to see a semi-competent commander in over his head, promoted above his quality, and flounder along. Obviously on the protagonists side to create tension.

The thing about fantasy worlds (for example, Middle Earth) is that they are imagined in such a way that no logistic support for armies is even thinkable. You can do all the military principles you want, but if you are sitting in an economically impossible world where no armies could actually ever be assembled or survive, then all the principles of war cannot begin to apply.
So the first thing to consider is the social infrastructure that can (or cannot) support wars of the type you want to write about. I think this is one reason people resort to swords and sorcery: swords have been around in relatively simple societies for thousands of years and as for sorcery, well any infrastructure seems equally likely or unlikely to support it. And yet, are there any convincing narratives of wars using bronze swords? As a war, the Iliad doesn't give a very clear or convincing picture and no others spring to mind.

zornhau

Swordsman
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
The thing about fantasy worlds (for example, Middle Earth) is that they are imagined in such a way that no logistic support for armies is even thinkable. You can do all the military principles you want, but if you are sitting in an economically impossible world where no armies could actually ever be assembled or survive, then all the principles of war cannot begin to apply.
So the first thing to consider is the social infrastructure that can (or cannot) support wars of the type you want to write about. I think this is one reason people resort to swords and sorcery: swords have been around in relatively simple societies for thousands of years and as for sorcery, well any infrastructure seems equally likely or unlikely to support it. And yet, are there any convincing narratives of wars using bronze swords? As a war, the Iliad doesn't give a very clear or convincing picture and no others spring to mind.

The flipside of this is that war can illuminate a well worked out Fantasy world.

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
The flipside of this is that war can illuminate a well worked out Fantasy world.

Very true. I think only Diana Wynn Jones has really gone into all the problems of assembling evil armies and what not. On the other hand if there is an epic fantasy out there where the fleet commander ignores the behavior of the sacred chickens and the whole mobilization scheme for building fleets has to be revised (See Livy on the First Punic War...very instructive for fantasy universes) or the whole fleet gets the flu so they have to fight very quick actions before the rowers poop out (Livy again with the Rhodian Fleet)...then fantasy would be getting somewhere with its relation of imagined world and imagined battles.

Pooped fleet here:

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/txt/ah/Livy/Livy37.html#livy.hist.37.22

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
Very true. I think only Diana Wynn Jones has really gone into all the problems of assembling evil armies and what not. On the other hand if there is an epic fantasy out there where the fleet commander ignores the behavior of the sacred chickens and the whole mobilization scheme for building fleets has to be revised (See Livy on the First Punic War...very instructive for fantasy universes) or the whole fleet gets the flu so they have to fight very quick actions before the rowers poop out (Livy again with the Rhodian Fleet)...then fantasy would be getting somewhere with its relation of imagined world and imagined battles.

Pooped fleet here:

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/txt/ah/Livy/Livy37.html#livy.hist.37.22

Not many texts are as instructive as Livy when it comes to constructing fantasy worlds. for example (at the above link):

Before the consuls left for their provinces it was resolved that various portents should be expiated according to the directions of the pontiffs. The temple of Juno-Lucina in Rome was struck so seriously by lightning that the pediment and great doors were much damaged. At Puteoli, one of the gates and numerous portions of the wall were similarly struck and two men killed. At Nursea it was definitely reported that a thunderstorm suddenly burst out of a cloudless sky; there also two men were killed, both freemen. The people of Tusculum announced that a shower of earth had fallen in their district, and at Reate a mule was said to have had a foal. These portents were duly expiated and the Latin Festival was celebrated a second time owing to the Laurentians not having received their due portion of the sacrifice. To allay the religious fears which these various incidents aroused, a solemn intercession was offered, as directed by the Keepers of the Sacred Books, to those deities which, after consulting the rolls, they named. Ten free-born boys and ten maidens, all of whose fathers and mothers were alive, were employed about that sacrifice, and the Keepers of the Sacred Books offered up sacrifices of sucklings in the night.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score

I somewhat disagree here.

Authors who bring the 'realism' of logistics and socio-political-economics into their world and worldbuilding have better and realer stories.

John Ringo does this, David Drake does this, Chris Webber does this and I'm sure there are others.

Now I will admit, there are plenty of authors who don't do this, and in my opinion, their stories suffer and aren't what they 'could' be.

And incidentally, just because an author doesn't spend an entire chapter on logistics doesn't mean that logistics aren't factored in into the background.

OVerall, my take in all of this is that it relates to the worldbuilding and story integrity.

If you take all these factors into account and apply the Principles of War, then your battles, war, and story will feel 'right'. The reader will be drawn in and 'feel' what is happening.

Conversely, i've read plenty of books upon which the battles and war campaigns were absolute rubbish band-aided with piss poor plot and 'magic' as the fix all. Wreaked of laziness IMHO.

Mel...

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com

I disagree about the middle earth rip.

The forces mankind were able to muster show very clearly how difficult it was to field an army -- at the penultimate battle of the war, the big brouhaha on the Pelennor fields, the total number of allied forces numbered somewhere at 10,000 -- and that's including the 6000 riders from Rohan. This is not an enormous number, and most companies from various fiefs sending troops did so in small groups of hundreds (the largest contingent, from Gondor's richest region, was a meager 700 men).

The very reason no one had ever laid siege to mordor before to stop Sauron's amassing of troops was because there was neither the manpower nor wealth to do so.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
Now, to continue my conversation with Lhun in the other thread:

Oh, plenty. Mostly wars fought for ideological reasons, or for political control (most civil wars). Sure, you could frame "resource control" in a way to encompass political issues, which would indeed just leave a few cases out, but the broader you use a term the less useful it is. Using resource control so all encompassing that it covers a war fought over oil (or "lebensraum" if you want a slightly older example) as well as a civil war where two faction vie for control over their nation, then it has for all practical purposes become useless. Then, "resource control" is just different name for "reason for war", without having actual content.

Okay, I see what you mean now. Yes, you're right. Maybe we go to war because their religion is different. Maybe because they're practicing slavery. Maybe because they're not blond with blue eyes.

In that regard, adding that context is important to any story. A simple land grab (Kuwait/Bosnia) definitely puts the aggressors in the 'bad guy' light according to our modern mindset. Of course, an ancient Roman mindset would put the aggressors in the 'conquering hero' light.

I've been trying to find a quote for the last hour off and on, and just can't locate it. Basically it says 'Older men must find ideological reasons for younger men to go to war'. I agree in large part, but I also believe that resource control is at the actual center of every war. The North railed against slavery, but when did they fight? When the South wanted to secede and for their own nation. The Muslim faith had persisted in the Middle East for several centuries before the Crusades, but when did they fight? When the little ice age had made living in Europe a lot more difficult.

I think that when Resources are at stake, we'll find reasons to fight, but your point is taken.

Yes, we're definitly having vocabulary issues here. Maybe it's the language barrier.

Okay, then let's try to sharpen that image.

Principle
Doctrine

What I take these Principles to be match most closely to number 3 in the definition: 3 a : an underlying faculty or endowment <such principles of human nature as greed and curiosity>. They're broad in scope and definition. They're the starting place for the way we think about military endeavors.

For Doctrine I'd go with 2e: a military principle or set of strategies. The strategies fall below the principles. They're the 'how to', in a way. How do I provide Security? How am I Economizing my Force? And so on.

So, you are correct that the viking would have to deal with exactly the same issues as the romans, as you outlined in a previous post. But that does not mean they follow similar military doctrines, far from it.

I think the misperception is that you believe I'm trying to say that Vikings and Romans make war in exactly the same way. Not at all. Citing the definitions I'd like to employ from above, Vikings and Romans employed widely different strategies in their conquests. My contention is that the Principles remained the same, even though they could never have considered them in the same way.

Obviously, all conflicts will have commanders who dealt with questions such as where to mass how many troops to break the enemy while not overexerting their forces. But that is neither a principle, nor a doctrine, just a very general idea. Similar in scope to the general idea for the individual soldier to kill the other guy and don't get killed yourself.

There we disagree. Just because a particular principle is obvious doesn't mean it's not a Principle. Similarly, just because a principle has a very broad scope doesn't mean it's not a principle. We can agree that some principles are more important than others for certain types of objectives, but good principles are made to be broad in scope and relatively easy to understand.

But then again, we're on a writers forum, imo a rich background world needs at least ten times as much worldbuilding done as will actually make it into the final novel. Not to mention that constistency really benefits from that.

Absolutely. Consistency is key. In all truth, building ten times as much world as actually appeared in any work proved to be a problem for me in that it simply took a lot of time. The thread on Consistency in Tech and Magic has yielded what was a significant revelation to me personally when Kitty Pryde linked Mister Scalzi's 'Two-Questions Deep' method. Maybe the sky didn't open up, but there was definitely a brightening up near the clouds there. :)

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
A useful post, but there's more to war than this, I think. For example, from Sun Tzu, Vegetius, Napoleon and general history...
  • Divide the enemy forces and defeat them in detail
  • Morale is a great multiplier of numbers
  • Win a war without striking a blow by destroying the enemy's ability to fight.
  • The best place to fight a battle is where your men have nowhere to run to.
  • Give your army small victories to show them that the enemy can be defeated
  • If you have to retreat, spring an ambush or two to slow the enemy up and boost morale.

Ah, but most of what you're describing are strategies that fall under the Principles. The only thing the Principles don't cover is Morale. The US Principles don't specifically mention Morale since it's considered vital to all the Principles. An army without Morale has no will to fight, and is therefore not an army.

Actually, the Principles don't cover Flexibility either, but that's for much the same reason.

You bet. What I like to do is to find one that mimics what I want to accomplish and go from there. Obviously, that gets tricky with science fiction, but most ground battles are going to be conducted with guns and tanks and planes or their scifi equivalents. The fun part there is figuring out how new tech alters the battlefield and applying it accordingly. The Principles will remain much the same though.

Very true. I think only Diana Wynn Jones has really gone into all the problems of assembling evil armies and what not.

I don't believe I'm familiar with her work. Now that I browse Amazon and see the many books she's written, I have to wonder why. Do you recommend anywhere to start reading her stuff? Particularly in the Military Fantasy department?

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if this point was made.

The US, along with every modern military in the world, derive their Principles of War (or equivalent) FROM Sun Tzu, Jomini, & Clausewitz to name a few.

As for the Principles of War, there are other equivalent 'principles' used by the US military that encompass morale and flexibilty.

Mel...

zornhau

Swordsman
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com

The US, along with every modern military in the world, derive their Principles of War (or equivalent) FROM Sun Tzu, Jomini, & Clausewitz to name a few.

As for the Principles of War, there are other equivalent 'principles' used by the US military that encompass morale and flexibilty.

Mel...

And reading historical manuals will give you a sense of different possible ways of viewing war.

I take efkelly's point about strategies deriving from principles.

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
I disagree about the middle earth rip.

The forces mankind were able to muster show very clearly how difficult it was to field an army -- at the penultimate battle of the war, the big brouhaha on the Pelennor fields, the total number of allied forces numbered somewhere at 10,000 -- and that's including the 6000 riders from Rohan. This is not an enormous number, and most companies from various fiefs sending troops did so in small groups of hundreds (the largest contingent, from Gondor's richest region, was a meager 700 men).

The very reason no one had ever laid siege to mordor before to stop Sauron's amassing of troops was because there was neither the manpower nor wealth to do so.

And yet Sauron amasses troops from all over in a devastated area and faces a guerilla war (Faramir in command there) in an uninhabitted area (how does that work?)...If the good guys with barely functioning societies and fantastically low population densities can barely assemble an army (note that luckily it comes together somehow just in time and accidently has incredible command control)...how is the evil army even remotely plausible?
All of Middle Earth would barely support some secondary Mongol Horde at best "in reality". There's just no productive economy at all except for grazing.

Straka

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
danstraka.blogspot.com
Anyway from tactics or even logistics, what needs to be mentioned is the effect of political forces.

Concerning modern war, I recommend General Wesley Clark's Waging Modern War. It's a dry read that I had to take on in bursts, but it opened my eyes to the political complexities of war. Much of that book is him debating with Washington and NATO allies. Getting approval for air strikes and apologizing for blowing up a tracker. Very different from the war in Iraq.

Certainly in the best stratagems are often distorted and ruined by changes demanded by those on the political side of the conflict. Look at Italy in WWII.

In once piece I developed the ideal battle plan, then have the political injection their desires (pushing up the time table) which complicates and increases the risk for success. It made the piece more realistic feeling and gave the characters even more to complain about.

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
I
And incidentally, just because an author doesn't spend an entire chapter on logistics doesn't mean that logistics aren't factored in into the background.

Naturally I'm not expecting a chapter on logistics or planning, which is why I'd usually rather read about real wars than fictive ones, or about fictional wars used for planning rather than fictional wars used as fiction.

For example, War Plan orange was all about fictional wars:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0870217593/?tag=absolutewritedm-20

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
Anyway from tactics or even logistics, what needs to be mentioned is the effect of political forces.

Concerning modern war, I recommend General Wesley Clark's Waging Modern War. It's a dry read that I had to take on in bursts, but it opened my eyes to the political complexities of war. Much of that book is him debating with Washington and NATO allies. Getting approval for air strikes and apologizing for blowing up a tracker. Very different from the war in Iraq.

That's a great book. I especially liked the scenes where Clark and the head of NATO try to see what exactly Milosovich is lying about. They know he is, but they have a face-to-face meeting to get a feel for what is really going on. Basically they just read him despite his best efforts at lying.

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score

Just for Fun suppose Good was not so Good and strikes first:

Now, for our example of using the Principles in worldbuilding for a scifi/fantasy novel with a distinctly military flavor, let's use purely classic elements for Preempting The Invading Legions of Darkness. Hummm...invading is in their name, but is invading in their game? This is the prophesied apocalypse wherein the Evil races conquer the Good races. Or is it? Are we "races" or are we the Imperial General Staff? Our Strategic Objective is to smash the Legions of Darkness before they can mobilize.

Objective - Isolate and destroy the Invading Legions of Darkness before they can assemble. Our troops are the Imperial Legions plus Cataphracts and Mercenary cavalry. They're tough, disciplined, and mildly fanatical (especially in a religious conflict as this surely is) and this time they are using that discipline to get rolling early.

Offensive - An actual BLITZKRIEG to isolate and destroy the enemies field armies in detail using indirect approaches, ambush, misdirection and confusion where applicable.

Mass - Is the enemy's problem. We have speed and flexibility.

Economy of Force - While the enemy Keeps secondary objectives to a minimum we isolate and obliterate the initial Feint and keep going, defeating the enemy in detail. They are bringing every last possible fighting creature, so they are completely dispersed initially.

Maneuver - The enemy expects us to be slow moving and vulnerable to raids. We have purchased the services of the Centaurs and Barbarian Cavalry and our own Cataphracts will strike hard and fast to isolate and destroy in detail all mobilizing forces of the enemy.
Regional rulers who hold back from the offensive will be relieved of their duties and sent to monasteries.

Unity of Command - The Imperial General Staff is in command. Regional rulers are not. Fortunately, unlike the 'bad guys', the Imperial General Staff can enforce a very heavy-handed manner of discipline on all command levels through monastic noviates. After some cooling off in a monastery, lots of men will be ready to do some more out-doorsy activities deep in Evil Land.

Security - Scout. Scout. Scout. And Scout some more!
Chopping up the invading horde before it can assemble is the plan. Any secrets about the horde's assembly routes are going to be next to impossible. Attacking the (very) long columns of miscellanecous what-not as they assemble is the whole mission in a nutshell.

Surprise - Will be total. Who expects Good to get rolling and hit and hit first and hit hard and keep on hitting?

Simplicity - One big rolling ambush of every last rag-tag bit of evil as it moves to assemble and before command control is established.
So that's our scenario. From this we can build many many possible stories. The Imperial General Staff's contention with its suboordinates. a few hundred raiding parties wiped out. A goblin in love with a dark elf. The little giant that could. At this point we narrow (or broaden) the scope. The military action sets the stage, and we have a somewhat solid idea of what the backdrop is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.