promoting transsexual erotica!

LucyPR

Registered
Reaction score
I just put my first ebook on Amazon. I've ghostwritten erotica for a while, but it's time to step out of the shadows and write for myself :)

However, self-promotion is a worry when your niche (for now, at least) is transsexual erotica. Does anyone have any idea about how to go about doing so? It's not like I can ask family and friends to buy it (though my mum has... haha- she's promised not to read it ;) )

I've started a FB and Twitter page for my penname but I feel like I'm talking to myself.

Any tips would be highly appreciated.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Before I offer any suggestions, I'm curious what type of "transsexual erotica" you're referring to. Especially since the word "transsexual" is quite outdated, and when I've encountered erotica that uses it, it's frequently been... exploitative. The type of stories where someone who is transgender is essentially a freak and a sex toy.

LucyPR

Registered
Reaction score
My story is anything but exploitative, nor is it flimsy erotica. It is about the relationship between the two characters and doesn't depend on the fact that one is transgender.

I have a friend who refers to herself as transsexual because she was born a man but now identifies as a woman; however, she hasn't had her penis removed so she doesn't identify as transgender. If the term is used offensively in erotica I'll change it to transgender as I don't want to give the wrong impression.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One of our daughters was born male and still has the genitalia that entails, though she takes female hormones and lives completely as a woman. She considers herself transgender and does not like the term transsexual for the reasons thethinker42 listed--people consider it a freak show.

I urge you to consider looking further into how the terminology is used among the people you anticipate as your readership, as well as how it's used by those who live it, beyond the one person. She's a great resource, of course, but you need more than one.

Maryn, who just sent both daughters sweaters

LucyPR

Registered
Reaction score
thank you both. I didn't even question that it would be offensive, only because of the way my friend refers to herself. She will be cross that if I change it, but the last thing I want is to portray transgender characters as freaks. I already feel rather uncomfortable putting it in a separate category.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That worries me. If your character identifies as a woman, why treat her as a member of a separate category? That wouldn't be okay in real life. It marginalizes her experience as a person.

If you're not comfortable, maybe this isn't what you should be writing, until you are genuinely at ease with it.

LucyPR

Registered
Reaction score
I'm very comfortable writing it, I'm just not 100% comfortable deciding which of Amazon's neat little niches it fits into.

LucyPR

Registered
Reaction score
but thanks, you've given me plenty to think about.

ericalynn

Registered
Reaction score
I'll chime in with my perspective. Having worked for a trans rights organization for years, we advised people (media, etc.) that transgender is the preferred term, often called an "umbrella" term because it encompasses many different identities. transsexual in itself is not an offensive term, however, it is an outdated term, often used by the medical community. Some transgender people choose to identify as transsexual, but it is not an umbrella term the way transgender would be.
GLAAD actually has a great guide on terminology:
http://www.glaad.org/reference/transgender

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the info and link, ericalynn, as well as for your work for the rights organization.

Lucy, I hope I didn't discourage you as much as misunderstand you. I get it now, that it's not that you're uneasy writing it so much as unsure about marketing it. Duh. (I say that a lot!)

Maryn, who gets with the program slower than some

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
I have a friend who refers to herself as transsexual because she was born a man but now identifies as a woman; however, she hasn't had her penis removed so she doesn't identify as transgender. If the term is used offensively in erotica I'll change it to transgender as I don't want to give the wrong impression.

I'm not arguing with how your friend identifies (different people prefer different terms), but her reasoning is the opposite of what I usually hear. Transgender has become the more common term in recent years, and in my experience, most people who use both transgender and transsexual use transsexual to mean someone who has medically transitioned (such as taking hormones or having surgery) and transgender as more of a catch-all term for people who do not identify with the gender they were assigned at birth (and may or may not have transitioned or have plans to do so). The reasoning is that sex is something you can alter, but gender is who you are. I've known many people who identified as transgender who have no plans to transition at all. I'm a little surprised by how your friend uses the terms.

Like I said, I respect how she self-identifies and respect that you want to use terminology that your friend is okay with. But like Maryn suggests, I think it's a good idea to have more than one source and to learn more about what terminology other members of your target audience might use.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I haven't heard that distinction between transgender and transsexual, TBH. The vast majority of trans* people I know only use transgender, regardless of what medical procedures have/haven't happened. In fact, the general consensus of trans* people I've met is that their medical procedures are no one's business, so I'd be very surprised if one wanted to be identified that way.

(Again, this is my experience, so I'm not speaking for the trans* community at all, just going off what I've heard/observed.)

Lhowling

Mischief Witch
Registered
Reaction score
Here's the thing: In the context of niche categories for erotica, personally I don't see transgendered as being a sexual orientation (like being bisexual, hetero, gay, lesbian, etc). It's more about identity than anything else. A transgender male (F2M) will consider himself straight if he likes other women, or gay if he likes other men.

When the term transsexual comes up, I'll be honest, I think it will attract straight readers (99% male) who have fantasized of being with a "shemale." I say this because these kinds of guys almost always use the term transsexual or tranny or shemale. There are also Brazilian and Japanese terms too.

So, purely for the purposes of knowing how to market your erotica, use the proper language. If your main characters are transgendered and that is not being fetishized (much in the same way transsexuals are fetishized) then use transgender to set yourself apart from that other type of erotica.

Helen_Rouge

Registered
Reaction score
L.A. - The Movie Capital of Southern California
Well, back to the subject of promoting her writing, I have thought to advertise on this site. It certainly is where people come to read transgender material. http://www.nifty.org/nifty/transgender/ Readers of the short stories here might be interested in longer works with more character development. They do use the term transgender as well.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
http://www.ladyvalorfilm.com/ Great personal documentary of a transsexual who shares her life story. Highly recommended. Just tossing this in here.

Kristin's story is amazing. I had the privilege of spending a weekend with her last summer, and she's an amazing person. I highly recommend her film to anyone.

/derail

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Well, back to the subject of promoting her writing, I have thought to advertise on this site. It certainly is where people come to read transgender material. http://www.nifty.org/nifty/transgender/ Readers of the short stories here might be interested in longer works with more character development. They do use the term transgender as well.

Interesting site.

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
Like DancingMaenid, I have occasionally heard people who have *medically* transitioned (i.e. surgically) refer to themselves as "transssexual."

To the best of my memory, the few people I've heard using the term that way are older, more likely to be from the generation that heard "transsexual" as the generally-accepted-and-used term.

Being transgender is not a *sexual orientation*, as Lhowling said. It's a gender identity. One thing I'm learning--mostly from my teenagers--is there are three factors at play: sexual orientation, gender identity, and romantic orientation. One does not necessarily impact the other two, though it certainly can.

In erotica, my personal opinion is that if you're *not* writing something that fetishizes transgender individuals (which I hope you aren't...), the only time in the story that the fact that they're trans* would even matter is when you're writing the actual sex scenes, when mention of genitalia might be necessary. Otherwise, you're writing about a man or woman who is hetero, homo, or bisexual, or whatever. The transgender identity isn't entirely relevant when it comes to categorizing the story.