• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] The Gotham Group

nancy sv

30 months on a bicycle...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
I know, I know - I'm showing my ignorance here, but that's what AW is for, right? Somebody from Gotham Group approached us about a book/film deal about our journey and we are certainly interested in exploring both options.

But - what are they? They aren't a literary agency. They aren't producers. What do they do?

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From the Media Bistro piece Cao linked:
About The Gotham Group

The Gotham Group is a multi-faceted management and production company, representing some of the most creative minds in Hollywood. Gotham boasts a roster of over 500 top directors, screenwriters, producers, authors, illustrators, and artists, as well as book and comic book publishers and animation studios.

Publishers Marketplace shows a long list of sales. They're almost exclusively film rights, but there are a few book deals listed as well (to Eos, a couple to Simon and Schuster Children's, and Simon Spotlight Ent). I'm thinking a management company along the lines of William Morris Endeavor or ICM?

I'd assume they want to speak with you because your story's caught their attention. If nobody pops in with any bewares, it sounds to me like a call worth taking! :D

nancy sv

30 months on a bicycle...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
I talked with the person from Gotham Group yesterday and was quite impressed - seems as though he really knows what he's doing. He was very excited about our journey and seemed to think it would make a great book and movie. We will talk again next week after we get back up to the USA.

But here's my question: I want to write a book about our journey. The Gotham Group is mostly movies with a few books. They do place books and it seems they've done quite a few, but they are mostly interested in movies. The guy said they currently have one story that will be both book and movie released at the same time.

So - should I be concerned with that? If they wanted to do a movie and skip the book, would that ruin my chances for getting a book deal elsewhere?

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It would definitely be something to negoitiate with them. If they aren't interested, make sure you retain print rights to your story. Given the nature of your journey, I'd think they might want the tie in book to go with the movie.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
In '13, joined forces with Principal Entertainment Los Angeles. (article)