Changing a .me Apple account

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I have an Apple email account, set up like this:

[email protected]

This is used for some iCloud stuff mostly, syncing notes and photos etc.

I want to change the xxxxx part to something else, but everywhere Apple says this is not possible. That the xxxxx name I chose originally I will have to my grave.

A tech guy at an Apple store said once that the only way to change it is to create a new Apple ID, but then that messes up stuff with iTunes etc.

So, is this really an impossible thing to do? Why do they care if I change the xxxxx?

(just something i'm obsessing over)

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's impossible to change the [email protected] address, but you can change the email associated with your Apple ID. For example, if you have a gmail address, you can change your Apple ID to use your gmail address. Your @me.com email will still work, it won't be different, but you can use the other email as your Apple ID for all of the iCloud syncing and iTunes stuff.

If you really want to change the [email protected] part (for email or whatever), I'd call up Applecare directly and ask them if it's possible. You can try to be persistent enough until they elevate your calls. Someone up the chain *may* have the secret kung-fu sauce to do it, but I have no idea.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, thanks. Guess I'll have go back to my usual obsessions. I'll stuff this one into a dark corner of my mind.