• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Carina Press

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I did follow up with them. Even though I have an R&R, they will no longer accept it because it's less than the new required word count.

It's a bit depressing, since the suggestions were very helpful and I was looking forward to resubmitting. i understand these things happened, but it makes me sad nonetheless.

Sorry to hear that! I hope you find a good home for it. :Hug2:

Wildflower90

Registered
Reaction score
Aw that's so sad! At least you have some suggestions to make it even better, which you can use to submit to some other e-publisher *bright side* Until then, hugs and chocolates for you!

romancewriter

Registered
Reaction score
Just FYI Carina UK does not have a word limit requirement. Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone is interested :)

tarak

for certain qualities of "sane"
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Central Pennsylvania - the gateway to Harrisburg
Yes, I did follow up with them. Even though I have an R&R, they will no longer accept it because it's less than the new required word count.

It's a bit depressing, since the suggestions were very helpful and I was looking forward to resubmitting. i understand these things happened, but it makes me sad nonetheless.

That stinks - I hope you can find a home for it elsewhere.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. *sighs* It probably makes sense from a sales viewpoint--longer stories sell much better, and as mentioned above, Carina's sales are already not the strongest in the industry. On the bright side, this reorganization might improve things for writers who *do* get their manuscripts beefed up (I'm now toying with adding a subplot...)
With all the free books being given away these days and the 99 cent books, perhaps readers are becoming less tolerant of paying significant amounts for shorter books, and that's why they now want longer stories only.

Last edited:

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
For me, it's a matter of quality. Many of those $.99 and free books are, sadly, not worth reading - a fact borne out by looking at sample texts. Readers looking for cheap thrills will flock to the cheaper stuff. But as readers' tastes evolve, they often lose interest in it.

That isn't to say many e-pubs don't overcharge for the genre. A book that science fiction readers will pay $9 for, many romance readers would be more happy paying $5 or $6.

Wildflower90

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, thought I'd update stats while I'm thinking about it.

So in the end I got an offer of contract from a different epublisher and went with them. I withdrew my MS from Carina, but they were still mulling it over at 17 weeks, going to the acquisitions board according to one of their editors that wrote me, so if you're still waiting don't give up hope!!

Good luck to all still waiting :0)

romancewriter

Registered
Reaction score
I also follow Angela on Twitter. I think she just got tired of all the time it took to create her edit report. A while back they were hosting monthly Twitter chats but I haven't seen one scheduled in a number of months.

tarak

for certain qualities of "sane"
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Central Pennsylvania - the gateway to Harrisburg
I sent off my revised manuscript last week. The editor who requested the R&R is no longer listed on their site and I'm not sure what effect that has on the submission. Does it get treated as a new sub? The feedback I got was incredible (two pages of comments, single spaced) and helped tighten the MS a great deal. Hopefully it will get a new champion.

And in case it helps anyone - I originally submitted prior to them using Submittable. I emailed submissions about how to resubmit and was told to use Submittable but make it clear in the introduction that it was an R&R.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has subbed to Carina UK and received a response? I submitted via their online form 3 months ago and have not heard anything. Their response time is supposed to be ~3 weeks. I emailed them after 2 months, asking if they'd actually received my submission as no confirmation email was sent after subbing with the online form. I got an auto response to that email, but that was a month ago and I haven't heard anything...

Last edited:

Haunted_October

Ready to kick the WIP's butt!
Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has subbed to Carina UK and received a response? I submitted via their online form 3 months ago and have not heard anything. Their response time is supposed to be ~3 weeks. I emailed them after 2 months, asking if they'd actually received my submission as no confirmation email was sent after subbing with the online form. I got an auto response to that email, but that was a month ago and I haven't heard anything...

The two times I've subbed to them, I had a response within ten days. Most of the people I know who've subbed to them had about the same timeframe.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
The two times I've subbed to them, I had a response within ten days. Most of the people I know who've subbed to them had about the same timeframe.

Interesting. Thank you. I wonder what happened with mine...maybe I'll try emailing them again in a few weeks...

romancewriter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm pubbed through Carina UK and not responding to emails is a common problem with them. Not to be a wet blanket but if you have other places you've subbed, I wouldn't just wait around on Carina. Not saying you should withdraw, but if you haven't gotten an answer by now, well, I wouldn't hold my breath.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I'm pubbed through Carina UK and not responding to emails is a common problem with them. Not to be a wet blanket but if you have other places you've subbed, I wouldn't just wait around on Carina. Not saying you should withdraw, but if you haven't gotten an answer by now, well, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Thanks for letting me know. I've more or less given up on them at this point...

Angela James

savvy editor
Registered
Reaction score
I feel I should note here that though we are both owned by Harlequin, Carina Press and Carina UK are two entirely different imprints. We're only the same in parent company, other than that, it's like Carina Press and HQN: different teams, different authors, different contracts, different strategies! It's possible you may actually wish to do a different thread about Carina UK, because Carina Press and Carina UK are actually not the same, we're just owned by the same parent company.

A.P.M.

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted a novel-length NA manuscript and received a form reject within a week. At least it was quick!

Last edited:

viridian6

Registered
Reaction score
are they a "no from one means no from all" house? one agent requested from a twitter pitch, then rejected. now a different agent has made another request from a different twitter pitch. i dunno if i should bother sending my materials in again.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
are they a "no from one means no from all" house? one agent requested from a twitter pitch, then rejected. now a different agent has made another request from a different twitter pitch. i dunno if i should bother sending my materials in again.

This isn't an agency, viridian6. It's a publisher. If one of the editors requested a submission, then you should follow their submission directions. Did you submit to a different editor following a twitter pitch, or had you already submitted to the publisher and received a rejection?

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score

Once a Carina editor has rejected a MS you can't submit to a different editor. Even if they request materials via a pitch, etc.