Racists Comment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Toy

FOB and Slayer of windmills
Registered
Reaction score
“You can take the boy out of the jungle, but you can’t take the jungle out of the boy.”

Do you think the above is a racist remark...explain why, and what group/race do you think it is aimed at?

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it's racist. I think it's an old saying that depicts "old habits die hard" or you can't ever remove how you were raised. You can change certain things, but not everything about your upbringing or the environment in which you were raised.

What group/race is it aimed at? For me, since racism or the thought of racism isn't important to me, I consider the saying just that, a saying, and not aimed at any race or group. If you have to push me to answer it, I'd say central or south american, well, because being a literal gal, they have jungles.

Robert Toy

FOB and Slayer of windmills
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it's racist. I think it's an old saying that depicts "old habits die hard" or you can't ever remove how you were raised. You can change certain things, but not everything about your upbringing or the environment in which you were raised.

What group/race is it aimed at? For me, since racism or the thought of racism isn't important to me, I consider the saying just that, a saying, and not aimed at any race or group. If you have to push me to answer it, I'd say central or south american, well, because being a literal gal, they have jungles.
OMG, we have a winner!

Thank you, thank you.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm... I learned it as 'you can take the girl out of the trailer park, but you can't take the trailer park out of the girl.' :D

Miguelito

Filled with optimism. And scotch.
Registered
Reaction score
“You can take the boy out of the jungle, but you can’t take the jungle out of the boy.”

Do you think the above is a racist remark...explain why, and what group/race do you think it is aimed at?
As is the problem with most political soundbites, the statement is placed in no context.

That's why, when I hear, "Obama says this:" or "McCain says that:" I usually take it with a big grain of salt. Most of the time, the important parts that really clarify the statement are left out.

czjaba

dreaming of the day...
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm... I learned it as 'you can take the girl out of the trailer park, but you can't take the trailer park out of the girl.' :D

:roll:I love this!! As a small aside, I grew up in a trailer park and 6 years ago, me and Hubby bought one.

I've always heard it as 'You can take the girl out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the girl.'

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
Context is everything. Is this about Mowgli? Then it's a comment on Jungle Book...but on the face of it, yes, it could very well be taken as a racist remark. I also think this thread is just asking to go up in flames - don't see that it needs to stay open, sorry Robert.

Status
Not open for further replies.