The Agent Moves: A Problem

foamhands

pro-stars, pro-sky
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been querying my novel for a few months. Several agents requested the full, and a few requested the partial,so I'm feeling very positive about this book.

The thing is, one of the first agents I queried--one of my very favorite prospects--was very encouraging once he received the full manuscript over three months ago. He sent an email about a week after I'd sent it saying he was enjoying it, then another email about a week after that saying it was great and he'd be in touch when he was done. Guess what, though? He didn't get in touch.

I didn't want to be crazy, so I just waited. I didn't want to pester him or be annoying in any way. Another important thing to note--he has just moved to a pretty big agency after being on his own for a while (this happened a few weeks ago.)

Now I'm getting some promising correspondence from another agent who has been reading, and I thought it would be a great opportunity to get back in touch with this original guy, the one I liked so much and had really hight hopes for. So I emailed him almost two weeks ago now to check in and I've heard nothing back.

Should I assume it's some kind of agency change email glitch?

Is he just really busy?

Should I assume that he hates me and never wants to hear from me again?

Do I wait to contact him more aggressively once I have a solid offer?

Help!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I suspect that his silence means he's not interested: but I'd wait and see, and if you do get an offer from elsewhere, let him know.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd wait until you have an offer, then I'd send the first agent an e-mail at his new e-mail address with the subject line: Offer of Representation. (That's about as "aggressive" as I'd get, btw. I wouldn't do anything more than that. No phone calls or anything. :D)

JackieS

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats! I would wait until you get an offer, then contact the agent you really want to let him know you're close to a deal. Best of luck!