• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] BookEnds, LLC / Beyond the Page Publishing

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Well the good news is if you are almost at the end of your 10 - 12 week wait, it isn't like you are leaving the publishing house waiting on an answer for that long. That being said, I'd write to Bookends and inform them of the situation. I think it could only help your cause as then they'd see there was interest in publishing your work. As far as the publishing house goes, why not say you'd like a few weeks to think it over. Or you could also be honest, explain that you have it out with an agent, and would like to wait to hear back from them.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Is it an advance-paying publisher? That might pique agency interest. Otherwise, probably not.

You don't have to give the publisher an answer right away. Hang in there, and wait to hear from BookEnds.

- Victoria

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Actually I disagree. If it is stated on their website that that is the wait time, I think there is nothing wrong with, after the wait has passed, to give them a call or email and ask what's up. After all you are going by the information that they are providing you.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Actually I disagree.

Are you disagreeing with me? Because I'm in favor of emailing them immediately with the offer in hand, as who knows how long they could take. The time listed on their website, like so many, is terribly optimistic.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I suppose I am disagreeing with the idea that despite what they say on their own website it could take "years" to hear back from them. Now it is possible they would take more time than they say on their site, but that is their problem, not the author's. I think the idea of "who knows how long they could take" when they state clearly how long they would take, is putting way too much power in their corner and implying that had Annie not had an offer from a publisher she should still not expect to hear from them in the time they state. If an agency says they will get back to you in a certain time, and they don't, it is well within the author's rights to ask what's up.

Your point, that it could still take years was off for me because it shouldn't if the author checked up with the agency after the passing of the due date.

I wasn't actually talking about the subject at hand, but more your suggestion that the agency was allowed to take years despite saying otherwise on their site. If you are going to post timelines on your site as an agent, you had better either live up to the promise, or expect to be called on it.

At any rate, it's no big deal, and of course we agree on the notifying the agent thing about the publisher. I guess I just sort of wanted to comment on the agency taking years thing despite the claim on their site. While I am a huge supporter of agents, I do think they have to be held accountable for their promises. But still . . . a bit of a digression and I apologise!

Last edited:

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Ok - Thanks all for the advice- I think I will E-mail the agent in question and tell her about the interest- I just hope she doesn't say 'Ok, good luck and bye"

I am hoping she will get busy reading my MS!

Thanks so much for the much needed advice- (I'm not sure of the Publishers details- got to refresh my memory!)

mysterygrl

Registered
Reaction score
My situation was slightly different: I had an offer of representation. But when I told Jackie at BookEnds, she responded immediately, and read my ms in about three days (two of those days were Saturday and Sunday).

I do know that BookEnds represents authors who are with smaller publishers/imprints, such as Poisoned Pen Press and Midnight Ink.

Best of luck with whatever happens next.

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
Mystery Girl, did you end up going with Jacky? Just curious as she is the agent at Bookends who Is reading my manuscript.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Annie, don't worry about her saying good luck then. That is the sort of thing that maybe they might say if it was another agent (fine, go with my competitor see if I care, sort of thing), but it's a good thing for an agent that a publisher is interested, it shows the work is getting interest. Agents aren't competing with publishers. They work together.

Have faith! This is all good news!

mysterygrl

Registered
Reaction score
Mystery Girl, did you end up going with Jacky? Just curious as she is the agent at Bookends who Is reading my manuscript.

No, she didn't offer representation. But her response was very detailed and kind. I know several writers who are repped by Jackie and think very highly of her.

justme

Well butter my biscuit!
Registered
Reaction score
I received a rejection from Jessica Faust yesterday. She seems extremely nice and fast as well.

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
I am still waiting to hear back from Jacky Sach- but to be fair this week is 10 weeks into the promised 10-12 week wait- Hopefully I will hear something soon.

andracill

Registered
Reaction score
I'm 11 weeks into the 10-12 wait...if nothing else, at least I can SQ next week ;)

GrammarGoddess

Registered
Reaction score
I snail mailed my query on 1/11 and today received a e-request for a partial from Kim. Trying not to be excited, because she is one of my "dream agents."

:)

thequotegal

Registered
Reaction score
I've got a "no thanks" very quickly a few weeks ago from Jacky but she was so nice! She wrote me three more times for other reasons. Is this one of the agencies where you should only query one of them? I think it is because they are so small that if one says "no", then that's final?

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I've got a "no thanks" very quickly a few weeks ago from Jacky but she was so nice! She wrote me three more times for other reasons. Is this one of the agencies where you should only query one of them? I think it is because they are so small that if one says "no", then that's final?

I'm pretty sure they did a blog post in the last few weeks that said you should only query one of them, because they'll pass it on if they think another agent in the agency would be interested.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
"There’s been a new and frustrating phenomenon lately, and that’s authors who are submitting the same work to all three BookEnds agents."

edit: And a better quote:

Okay, so you all know already not to send multiple submissions within the same agency, but what about submitting to Kim or Jacky once you’ve been rejected by me? Hopefully my example above already answered that for you. I would recommend against it; as far as BookEnds is concerned, it’s probably a waste of your time. If I thought it was better for Jacky or Kim, and still intriguing, I would have sent it to them. However, that being said, if you are sending queries we probably wouldn’t know that you’d sent to the other two, so if you are really, really determined to be represented by BookEnds and you don’t care who the agent is, go ahead. Once you’ve been rejected by one, feel free to submit to the others, one by one, until you’ve exhausted all of us.

GrammarGoddess

Registered
Reaction score
You know, I would send another one by snail mail. BookEnds' submission guidelines mentioned things about it not being unusual for emails to fall into the spam filter, and to send by snail mail if you suspect this has happened.

Maui Author

Halfway between here and there
Registered
Reaction score
You know, I would send another one by snail mail. BookEnds' submission guidelines mentioned things about it not being unusual for emails to fall into the spam filter, and to send by snail mail if you suspect this has happened.

Good call. I'll mail a hard copy tomorrow.

Thanks!