Three Resignations at the State Dept over Benghazi

AncientEagle

Old kid, no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
The main US political argument on this is that it made Obama look bad after he said he had eradicated Al Qaeda. It was in the midst of electioning.
QUOTE]

No way I can go back and review all Obama's comments on the subject, but I'd be greatly surprised if he ever said "eradicated."
Maybe "decimated," or maybe "greatly reduced." But if he ever said "eradicated," he's not as smart as I think he is.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
The main US political argument on this is that it made Obama look bad after he said he had eradicated Al Qaeda. It was in the midst of electioning.
QUOTE]

No way I can go back and review all Obama's comments on the subject, but I'd be greatly surprised if he ever said "eradicated."
Maybe "decimated," or maybe "greatly reduced." But if he ever said "eradicated," he's not as smart as I think he is.

The most pertinent quote I can find is that Obama said Al Qaeda was 'on the path to defeat'. There's another that says Al Qaeda was 'on its heels'. eta: Panetta said we were within reach of strategically defeating Al Qaeda.

For me at least, neither implies that Al Qaeda or its affiliates were incapable of striking, simply that they'd been weakened. Again, I believe that's demonstrably true. Very few people would be foolish enough to think that either it, or its ideology, could ever be entirely eliminated. Even Panetta's statement does not claim this. Strategic defeat =/= eliminate.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How About Some Resignatons of Grandstanding Senators?

Probably won't see this mentioned by the "fair and balanced" network:
WASHINGTON (AP) — The FBI, CIA and other intelligence agencies — but not the White House — made major changes in talking points that led to the Obama administration’s confusing explanations of the attack on U.S. diplomatic facilities in Benghazi, Libya, a Senate report concluded Monday.

The Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee report said the White House was only responsible for a minor change. Some Republicans had questioned whether the presidential staff rewrote the talking points for political reasons.

The committee, headed by independent Sen. Joe Lieberman of Connecticut and Republican Sen. Susan Collins of Maine, also said the director of national intelligence has been stonewalling the panel in holding back a promised timeline of the talking point changes.

Can't wait for the next press conference by John McCain and Mini-Me Lindsay Graham slamming the White House for making a minor change to the talking points and demanding the appointment of a special prosecutor to get to the bottom of...well, nothing really.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
And we all know the White House never exerts any influence over the FBI, the CIA, or State. :rolleyes:

The committee, headed by independent Sen. Joe Lieberman of Connecticut and Republican Sen. Susan Collins of Maine, also said the director of national intelligence has been stonewalling the panel in holding back a promised timeline of the talking point changes.
Stonewalling? Who does James Clapper report to? Who appointed him?

Regardless, FoxNews covered it(and put up the entire report, in fact): http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...rt-on-benghazi-terrorist-attack-faults-state/
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/int...ashing-red-on-benghazi-attack/?intcmp=related

So did CBS: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57561308/benghazi-attack-bipartisan-senate-report-spreads-blame/

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Stonewalling?

An interesting choice of words. Very emotionally laden language that seems to be used, here, to mean, "didn't get us the information we wanted fast enough."

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And we all know the White House never exerts any influence over the FBI, the CIA, or State. :rolleyes:

Oh, you mean like the way Evil Dick Cheney did in the run-up to the Iraq War? :evil

If you've got evidence instead of allegation, robeiae, now might be a good time to produce it, otherwise talk is cheap.

Keep digging in the dung heap. There might be a pony in there somewhere.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Oh, you mean like the way Evil Dick Cheney did in the run-up to the Iraq War? :evil
The "Centre for Global Research"? Really?

But regardless, sure. My comment wasn't limited to this administration in the least.

If you've got evidence instead of allegation, robeiae, now might be a good time to produce it, otherwise talk is cheap.

Evidence of what? That the Benghazi story was "massaged"? The story you quoted is about that evidence. Rice was sent out with bogus info. And there were all kinds of breakdowns in State and elsewhere noted in the report, with regard to what was happening. The White House played a role in this, unless ignorance is the excuse...ignorance from the "most sophisticated consumer of intelligence on the planet."

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The "Centre for Global Research"? Really?

Yes. Really.

robeiae said:
But regardless, sure. My comment wasn't limited to this administration in the least.

Good to know.

robeiae said:
Evidence of what? That the Benghazi story was "massaged"? The story you quoted is about that evidence. Rice was sent out with bogus info. And there were all kinds of breakdowns in State and elsewhere noted in the report, with regard to what was happening. The White House played a role in this, unless ignorance is the excuse...ignorance from the "most sophisticated consumer of intelligence on the planet."

The "evidence" was in this remark from my previous link: The Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee report said the White House was only responsible for a minor change. Some Republicans had questioned whether the presidential staff rewrote the talking points for political reasons.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay. But if you're gonna use wingnut central as a source, you don't have much room left to criticize FoxNews or any other media outlet.

After all the times over the years where I've repeatedly called you out for not providing any sources at all?

Watch me. :rolleyes:

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Global Research.ca is site who tries to align with the Canadian NDP, however I find it mostly ignored by mainline partiers because of rampant factual inconsistencies.