Gardeners of AW, unite

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if products made of recycled paper like some egg crates would work as well?

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
...I've been wondering if I can get a row of strawberries under the light. We don't have enough room outside for them (the lot is mostly wooded) and by summer most the other plants will be outside...
Strawberries are dastardly plants and will infiltrate your garden with seemingly miles of underground runners which are indestructible and unkillable.
Eventually you'll have to sell your house and move.

Nasty critters, those. Worse than triffids.
Better to buy 'em at the market already grown elsewhere.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
True, but under the light they'd have to be in a pot :) Unless they took over the living room :eek:

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have an aphid problem? It could be they are introducing a fungal disease to your mint. If you do have an aphid problem use neem oil. Be sure to wash your leaves before you use them and I would strongly suggest picking the affected leaves to keep the problem from spreading. - ETA slow on the draw.

All that being said since I don't know for sure, here's a site that has a database of plant diseases. It's my go-to place for info.

http://plant-disease.ippc.orst.edu/search.cfm

Last edited:

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Finally a day without rain!! So of course I spent it out in the garden. I taught my 4yo how to smash slugs. They were eating my echinacea, dahlias and sunflower seedlings!! The nerve!

I also stapled some fabric ground cover to the fence that separates my neighbor's yard from mine. Their weeds are growing into my yard. Pfft! I am thinking about screwing in some lattice over the fabric and plant something that will climb up the lattice.

Then I saw some funky little plants growing up through the middle of the pathway. I thought they were weeds, but when I started to pull them up, I saw they were growing from peas. Turns out, my 6yo got a hold of a packet of peas and proceeded to "plant" the entire amount in one spot. So now I have a tangled ball of peas and roots. *snicker* I'll see if I can separate them and plant them along that lattice. :D

Hey puppeh, is your mojito/mint getting full sun? At least 8 hours? It might be a fungus.

Last edited:

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Awwwwww, that's adorable, Turkey! I hope it works out well :)

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Awwwwww, that's adorable, Turkey! I hope it works out well :)

It totally is! I plan to blog about the "hazards" of gardening with munchkins. :) (of course I'll also add how wonderful gardening is for kids)

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
...Do you have an aphid problem? It could be they are introducing a fungal disease to your mint. If you do have an aphid problem use neem oil. Be sure to wash your leaves before you use them and I would strongly suggest picking the affected leaves to keep the problem from spreading.
Ladybugs!
They'll eat up those aphids, and they're really cute if you like bugs.

Ladybugs For Sale

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Thunder just cracked over my head while I was pruning my roses. At least the sky warned me this time before dumping rain on me. ;)

Adventures in gardening.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
I dug up a toad today while planting more crooknecks. It has been unusually dry this May, so I imagine the toads are mostly burrowed.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone heard the term "trunk garden"? I've read that some place and became curious as it seems to refer to a market garden or something of the sort. But when I asked a couple of the people working at the living history farm I tend to frequent, they never heard the term before.
I think it means when a rural family grows its own food, and uses a truck to bring the excess to the marketplace to sell.
Or something like that.

Ambri

Plotting something
Registered
Reaction score
Second star to the right, straight on till evening
So . . . after living in a nasty, rat-trap apartment for like the last 4 years, I said hell with it and persuaded my mom (who lives only 5 minutes away; let me tell you, that can have it's downside, too!) to till up one spot of her back yard and grow a GARDEN. So we rented a rototiller from HD, and spent one hot late afternoon fighting it into submission, and tilled a square maybe 10' by 12', and then fenced it with some recycled hardware cltoh (?) that a friend no longer needed--necessary, to keep my mom's big chow-shepherd mix out! Yay on the recycled fencing! Cheap and ecofriendly :D

So, after a lot of work, and fretting when I thought a late snow and a nasty strong wind would kill everything, we have . . . A Garden! We have 4 tomato plants, 2 sweet peppers, rows of very happy baby radishes and lettuce, one hill each of crookneck, butternut, and zucchini, peas and green beans sprouting by the garage sale lattice my mom got ages ago, cucumber and sunflower sproutlings, and a potted rosemary that my mom keeps bringing indoors for some inexplicable reason ;) My sister wanted to get in on the act, and bought a seed packet of tomatoes--impossible to tell her that it's not a good idea to grow those from seed here, the growing season is too short. She's the most stubborn member of a very stubborn family! Unfortunately, the birds ate all but one of the tomato seedlings.

Hopefully we can keep the birds and squirrels from eating it all!

Of course, we have a bumper crop of grass and bindweed we're gonna have to dig out. Does anyone know if putting down empty black plastic garbage bags, pinned with rocks, would be effective in killing off the weeds?

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
So . . . after living in a nasty, rat-trap apartment for like the last 4 years, I said hell with it and persuaded my mom (who lives only 5 minutes away; let me tell you, that can have it's downside, too!) to till up one spot of her back yard and grow a GARDEN. So we rented a rototiller from HD, and spent one hot late afternoon fighting it into submission, and tilled a square maybe 10' by 12', and then fenced it with some recycled hardware cltoh (?) that a friend no longer needed--necessary, to keep my mom's big chow-shepherd mix out! Yay on the recycled fencing! Cheap and ecofriendly :D

So, after a lot of work, and fretting when I thought a late snow and a nasty strong wind would kill everything, we have . . . A Garden! We have 4 tomato plants, 2 sweet peppers, rows of very happy baby radishes and lettuce, one hill each of crookneck, butternut, and zucchini, peas and green beans sprouting by the garage sale lattice my mom got ages ago, cucumber and sunflower sproutlings, and a potted rosemary that my mom keeps bringing indoors for some inexplicable reason ;) My sister wanted to get in on the act, and bought a seed packet of tomatoes--impossible to tell her that it's not a good idea to grow those from seed here, the growing season is too short. She's the most stubborn member of a very stubborn family! Unfortunately, the birds ate all but one of the tomato seedlings.

Hopefully we can keep the birds and squirrels from eating it all!

Of course, we have a bumper crop of grass and bindweed we're gonna have to dig out. Does anyone know if putting down empty black plastic garbage bags, pinned with rocks, would be effective in killing off the weeds?

If you are looking for a chemical free way to rid yourself of weeds, you can smother them. Cover the area with a thick layer of newspaper and dump mulch over the top. By next year, it will be ready for your next planting. Plastic works the same way too, but you won't be able to plant anything without ripping through the plastic.

Congrats on your garden!!

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
As promised here are the photos.

This first one shows the garden spot.

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs551.snc3/30175_127345603958261_100000484663338_285788_1275450_n.jpg

This one is an upclose of one of the strawberry plants. Poor transplant looks sad.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...20624926_100000484663338_285789_3960837_n.jpg

I got watermelon, corn, zuccini, crookneck, peas, 17 varieties of lettice, chives, carrots, icicle radishes, beets, white onions, garlic, leeks, and bush beans planted. Next week I get to plant potatoes, cantelope, and my herb garden. I still have a row and a half of room left, each row being 4 feet wide and 50 feet long! This is a big garden but I am so happy.

Congrats, Ambri, on the garden!

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that is the mother of all gardens! You'll be able to feed an army! :)