Status
Not open for further replies.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
LOVE Eddie Izzard! :)

I saw on Dirty Jobs once, he was in Louisiana with a guy who raised alligators and the guy just squeezed his bites. But I think he was made of tougher stuff than me.

calieber

Couth barbarian
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn, who almost signed her real name, eek!

Your real name is "eek"?

I now have to put together two packages for cold-e-mailing would-be employers, after meting the people involved in March.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Packages are supposed to always include cookies and silly toys, right? Or is that only packages I send to the kids?

Maryn Eek!

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For today's experiment, Sassy learned that when the instant oatmeal box is marked "best by Nov. 2010," it means it. Bleah. It smelled like glue. I spit out the first bite and threw out the rest. Oh, why did I have oatmeal that was best by Nov. 2010? Well it was in the back of a cabinet, of course.

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
I won't say anything about the oatmeal if you don't say anything about my collection of outdated medicines.

Komnena

Registered
Reaction score
Although there are fewer of them than there were. I have filled trash bag after trash bag this week. Clothes I never wear. Projects I never got to. I might make minimalist yet.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I suspect it would take a fire to make a minimalist of me.

I do get rid of things, of course, but I also find reasons to keep things as well as acquire new things. I'm trying to be more discriminating about both, but it's hard!

We do joke that when and if we buy another house, we'll keep the present one just for storage and live in a minimalist way at the new one.

Maryn, who might manage

calieber

Couth barbarian
Registered
Reaction score
Milestone: first Google searches that would arouse suspicion if I weren't a writer (poisons).

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's a well-known Writer's Digest book on poisons, "Deadly Doses," which I understand is mostly accurate.

Who needs to die, and in what setting and era?

Maryn, curious

Komnena

Registered
Reaction score
My experience has been that stuff comes from yard sales, flea markets, thrift stores, Wal-Mart, Big Lots, Half Price Books and the Dollar Tree.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Really? I was sure things just showed up. haha. It feels that way anyway. I have a bag of clothes to donate that's been in the garage for ages and I've lost about 20 pounds and some of those clothes fit again, so I'm glad I never got around to taking it. But we need to get a lot of stuff out. We have recycling piling up and we have STUFF.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Our recycling company has a point system where you get some each week if you recycled, whether it's a single can or a bin filled to the top. We're pretty good about setting it out every week, because we can get good stuff like gift cards at stores we actually shop at, eventually.

Our clutter mostly comes from things acquired much like Komnena's things, which we can't decide for sure we want to get rid of. Add childhood toys and creations for both kids, which only they can sort, and you get a pretty full house and basement.

We played miniature golf last night--I won!--and I once again got eaten alive by mosquitoes. Eleven bites. Next highest number was two, same blood type as me. So it's not just that. I'm special!

Maryn, tongue in cheek

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We don't have recycling pick up. There are a couple places we can take it, we just haven't lately.

Sorry about the bites. I wear Off when I walk the dogs but sometimes at night, I'll go out just to see what the dogs are barking at or take the trash down or something and will be out for all of 5 minutes and get bitten. Hubby seems unaffected. Blah.

Komnena

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on the win, Maryn!
Sorry about the bites, Sass!

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
That's the thing about bugs - they catch you exactly where you forgot to spray, or didn't spray because you didn't want to deal with smelling like a chemical spray for two minutes, and then you itch all weekend. Frustrating.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I really miss the screen porch at our old house. We talked about adding one here, but I doubt we ever will. It let me be outside without worrying about sunburn or bites.

Summer mornings, I'd read the paper and drink coffee out there, and once in a while sneak a cigarette. (I'm so bad!) Evenings, we might eat dinner there, or have a glass of wine or a beer after the kids were in bed. (That's how long ago it was, the kids going to be before we did.)

Maryn, nostalgic

Russ Mars

Interesting little planet you've got here.
Registered
Reaction score
A cigarette?? Maryn, a smoker? I'm shocked. Well, me too, up until a couple of months ago when I began vaping. It worked. I no longer smoke...er, cigs, that is.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, a screen porch would be nice. I like to sit out on our back deck but it's so hot even in the mornings, in Alabama...

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I smoked about a pack a day from the time I was 16 until I was 33. After that, it varied from three or four to a half-pack, depending on whether I was pregnant or dealing with babies or had some me-time. I didn't quit and stay quit until a dear friend died of complications from the flu, exacerbated by his light smoking. He was 48 and died from the fucking flu because he smoked. Not gonna happen to me!

But if we knew the world was ending in a year, I'd buy Marlboros by the carton. Ice cream, too.

Maryn, not doomed yet

Russ Mars

Registered
Reaction score
I was a radical anti-smoker all through middle school and high school, but that all changed when I went into the Marines. While in infantry training, there were packs of cigs, menthols, in the c-rations (field food). I had mild allergies to the dusty Camp Pendleton environment. One sneeze and a D.I. kicked me, yelling how that would get me and everyone else killed in combat (all too true). Further, beyond comprehension, non-smokers were penalized during boot camp. When the D.I.s allowed smokers to have a cig, the non-smokers had to do pushups while the others smoked. So, I began falling out with the smokers, and sneaking a cig here and there, and the menthol seemed to quell my sneezing.

Addiction begins with a whimper, not a bang. One thing led to another and by the time I was out in the fleet, I'd progressed to a heavy smoker--a pack to a pack and a half a day. Forty years later, I've had all the fun I can stand from cigs.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have no such excuse. Pathetically, I thought it looked cool. I kind of still do, although now I think it smells distinctly uncool.

Maryn, who smells cool

Russ Mars

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a passable excuse for me to start smoking, but I really had no alibis to keep smoking--'cept by then I was hooked.

I can resist anything but temptation.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Man, it's just pouring out, and has been since I got up. Our usual spring "lake" in back has returned, which it's never done before during full-out summer. (I suspect that end of the garden will die; these plants aren't intended for swamps. Which is okay, since it's mostly self-seeded plants from last year and weeds.)

Please, rain, hurry off to California, where you'll be properly appreciated.

Maryn, who's has enough, thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.