Editing a PDF design...

mercs

Registered
Reaction score
Won't bore you guys with the details, but how do you do this? I have a one piece cover that was designed for me, however the ISBN is going to need to be changed for another edition. I want to keep the cover art, but remove the barcode part to add the new one...

I can't edit anything in a pdf, but I can select the whole design and save it to paint, where a very simple "white square" removes the piece I want to block out, but how do I then safe that altered paint design as a pdf so I can use it? I don't want to get anyone in to help with this as that is no doubt another expense for a two minute job, but I'm at a dead end on this one...

Summonere

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. Trying to do this in Paint may be tricky, but you could try cutting and pasting bits of the non-ISBN-covered art over the barcode. If more adventurous, you could download GIMP and play with the clone brush.

Or you could contact the artist and ask for an unadulterated copy. :)

mercs

Registered
Reaction score
The thing is that I don't think you can edit a pdf file, so surely it has to go into another programme first and then be transferred back. It's actually just a barcode I want to remove and it takes about 30 seconds on paint, I just don't know how to transfer the then updated paint version back to a pdf format lol!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can convert a pdf file. There is software to do this, and websites online. Google for something like "free pdf converter". I have the software to do this at the office, but I'm at home at the moment, or I would volunteer to do it for you.

I suppose you could do it by bring up the pdf file, taking a screen shot and saving it to a format you could edit; too much quality might be lost that way however. I'm not sure.

Of course, be sure to make a copy to use before doing anything to your original.

mercs

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so far guys, we're slowly getting there!

Ok I have a converter and I've now managed to get my very simply paint change into a pdf format, but...

now it's over two pages despite being the SAME SIZE AND DIMENSIONS as the original that I had copied into paint! Does anyone know how you get a pdf file so it's just one page and can be used as a one piece cover, not as a pdf "read me" type file!

Sorry, I can sense I'm going to be a huge pain tonight...

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First, are you sure it's two pages, or have you just zoomed in? Set the view to 100% or larger?

mercs

Registered
Reaction score
It's definitely two pages, it splits it just down the middle of the spine and there's a clear page break in the middle. I'm not really that technical minded sadly so I have a horrible feeling this "simple" adjustment is going to turn me into Basil Fawlty here...

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Let me be sure I understand . . . you took your file, converted it to a non-pdf format, edited it, and converter it back into a pdf file? Or have you not converted it back into a pdf file yet?

mercs

Registered
Reaction score
I've copied it from a pdf to paint, made the small adjustment and then converted it back using pdf995 and now it's in two pages! The original is a large file, but is definitely one page, so I'm not sure what they have done to get what is essentially a landscape A3 style page compared to my portrait A4 double.

Sorry if I'm not describing it too well, spent most of the day trying to do this!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is there any kind of settings in pdf995 that gives you options for pages when you convert a file to pdf? Is there a Help file that is of any use?

I'm just throwing out some ideas. Obviously it's hard to help someone by remote with something like this.

mercs

Registered
Reaction score
pdf995 is just installed a printer option, when you "print" using it, it opens up adobe and it's there and waiting for you as a two pager. I've gone through all the options across the task bar but with no help. I'll keep trying, but this was meant to be the easy bit of today's "to do" list lol!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have all my tools available at home as I do at the office (we have all the Adobe software there), but if you'd like to send me the paint file I'll see what I can do. I can send you my e-mail address.

mercs

Registered
Reaction score
Are you sure? Honestly that would be amazing as I'm genuinely not getting anywhere with this and have no idea what to do with it. If you pm me the address I'll send it across. Thanks you're a star and I really don't know what I'm doing wrong here!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I may or not be able to help. We'll see.

I'm send you my address by PM.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've mailed the file you sent me back to you as a pdf. Take a look and see if that works for you.

mercs

Registered
Reaction score
Oh my word, you're some kind of magician! Honestly I can't thank you enough, although I'm a little...well I suppose the word is bitter I guess...that you did it in literally minutes after I spent the whole day struggling!

Thank you so much and this is why when anyone asks about writing or how to start I send them here. No comparisson on the net =)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't hate me . . . but it actually took less than a minute.

One thing I did, that maybe you didn't, was to save the paint file to a jpeg before I converted it to a pdf. It may or may not have made a difference.

Good luck with it.