Open Office Formatting (Was: Formatting Short Stories)

Sagana

Registered
Reaction score
So, the submission guidelines say either RTF or doc format (that seems fairly common). I'm using Open Office. When I save the document to either of those formats, it loses the header.

I know I need one (a header with my name and the story title and page number). What do I do, insert it on each page by hand? Will that mess up if whatever they're reading it with reflows the text? Should it be holding the headers and I'm just lost somehow?

I know, I'm sure this is a ridiculous question, but I can't seem to figure out what to do.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm.... I use Open Office but I've never ran into this problem. You might want to have a mod move this to the Tech Help section since it might get the attention of someone who knows how to format it how you need.

Sagana

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I'd be happy for someone to move it if I've posted in the wrong place. Sorry about that.

Sagana

Registered
Reaction score
I must be doing something really wrong then. It warns me I maybe lose formatting and then when I reopen the files, there's no headers (everything else seems fine).

I seem to be in extra stupid mode tonight (maybe I'm more nervous about the idea of submitting something than I think). Maybe tomorrow it will just fix itself.

whistlelock

Whiskey Rebel
Registered
Reaction score
Somehow I ended up in Fort Worth. Dunno how that h
This happened to me all the time, and I could never find a fix for it. I even spent some time on the OO forums looking for help.

Eventually I just switched to Word.

Microsoft offers a Word for free now if you create a Live account. It's all web-based now, of course, like Google documents.

Sagana

Registered
Reaction score
Well, so, my problems didn't just magically disappear overnight.

It may be that I have an older version of Open Office, but I searched and found other threads here where people are having similar issues. And they said upgrading didn't help.

Are you sure OO is saving your files properly? One person said they looked fine when reopened in OO, but an editor told her the headers and paragraph format was stripped when opened in Word.

I checked out the Live Account thing, but it looks like they're discontinuing that Jan. 21st and I don't want to get into the middle of some mess. Especially a partly pay-for mess. It looks complicated.

I downloaded a version of Abiword that someone else recommended, and can now get a doc file that retains proper formatting *except* headers. The headers are there when I open the file in Word (I have one of those freebie copies on my computer that has expired, so I can look at the files in it, but not edit), but they're on the left instead of the right. And the one that is not there on the first page in Abiwrite OR Open Office (those two programs seem to read each other's files fine) is there in word.

So I have all headers on the left and a header on the first page. Not good :(

Abiword gives me a decent rtf file (proper paragraphs and all), but it doesn't have headers. Does rtf even recognize headers? If the market I want to submit to accepts rtf files, will they maybe be realizing they won't receive a header?

If I were to create a doc file in word, with headers, and save it as an rtf file and open it in word pad or something, would it have a header? If I opened it back up in Word, would it have a header?

Any other suggestions for me? I don't really know what to do. I love computers, but sometimes I hate them very much :(

Sagana

Registered
Reaction score
Well DOH. The minute I typed all that I found the answer!

In Open Office, to make two header styles that will save to a doc file, you have to insert a manual page break after the page with the first style. When I did that - it saved out just fine.

The problem was that I didn't want a header on the first page. I set up a first page style (it's automatic in open office). So only that first one was being exported and all the rest showed up blank. When I inserted the manual page break, it picked up the header that is on the second page (and put them where they belong and everything). So now I have a perfectly good doc file :)

Now if I just had anything to say in a cover letter... "here, read this, let me know if you like it..." doesn't seem quite the thing.

Daniel A. Roberts

Romantic At Heart
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I'm glad you found the answer. I use Open Office but my conversions have no issues going into RTF but for different reasons. I never use the Header labels. I format the words I want for the header manually. And for good reason, a lot of the programs that convert the files to ebooks tend to choke on header settings, but pick it up fine and properly use them when manually formatted without the label.

I'll center my header, make it bold, up the size and it's done. No page breaks required and the RTF keeps it all in the right place. Just an FYI if you go to convert work in the future into an ebook and all of the headers are freaked out on you. It will do the same thing to Word header labels too.

Sagana

Registered
Reaction score
So you mean you type the header in yourself? I was tempted to do that, but a little concerned about pages reflowing for whatever reason and causing the headers to be in the wrong place. Never had to worry about that on a typewriter. A page ends when you pull the paper out :)

Moonbase

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaufen-ist-toll.de
Unfortunately, this is one of the little differences between Word and OpenOffice Writer that can really make you go crazy.

Many of us are probably used to inserting »hard« page breaks via the Ctrl+Return key combination. Which works fine in Word and seems to work fine in OpenOffice. Not really so: The thing to remember is that page breaks made using Ctrl+Return will still keep the same page style in OO Writer, whereas in Word you can assign different ones.

In Sagana’s example above, if you made a hard page break in OO Writer using Ctrl+Return, then assigned a different page style on page 2, it would also affect page 1. (And vice versa, as experienced.)

If you want to insert a »real hard« page break in OO Writer that allows to use different page styles, I advise to set up the different page styles before, then always use OO Writer’s menu to insert a manual page break (and in the upcoming dialog select the page style for the following page).

Right now, I don’t have an English-language OO here, but the menu entry should be called something like »Insert -> Manual Break… -> Page Break« plus a dropdown to select the page style for the following page.

Another caveat: If you delete a manual page break in OpenOffice Writer later on (i.e., by accidentally backspacing across the page border), the content to the right of the cursor (following pages) will revert to the page style of the previous page! So it’s a wise move to save the page styles you used and give them sensible names …

All in all, in OO Writer it’s probably wisest to use as few page styles as possible, name and save them, use Ctrl+Return only for »hard« page breaks within pages of the same style, and use manual page breaks with new style (via the menu) sparingly and only if really needed.

Last edited: