Status
Not open for further replies.

aibrean

Author, Designer, Imaginative Being
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilsadowski.com
Get a lawyer before you do something stupid. You aren't an expert at interpreting law.

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
Unless you have consulted the law and all the applicable court cases, you have no idea whether that site clearly summarized the law.

You seem determined to find the answer on free anonymous websites. If that's what you want to do, go ahead. Just remember that the maxim "you get what you pay for" applies to legal advice as well.

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
(Now why would that be surprising, since lawyers want every legal document to be ambiguous, since that generates more court cases.)

Speaking for myself and the significant number of lawyers I know, ambiguity of language drives us nuts, and we mostly get paid to avoid or put a stop to litigation. If you have an actual legal concern, I recommend you consult an actual lawyer. Like surgery, do-it-yourself law practice is likely to do you much more harm than good.

kousa

Registered
Reaction score
BOOK COVERS

A website with some interesting information on images on book covers:

(This is only a SMALL PORTION of the total comments)

http://www.citmedialaw.org/legal-guide/using-name-or-likeness-another

Bear in mind this issue falls under state law and less than two dozen of the states have put it in writing (law).

Incidental Advertising Use

If you use someone's name or likeness in connection with news reporting, commentary, or a creative work protected by the First Amendment, then you can also use it in connection with truthful advertising of your own work. Courts refer to this as the "incidental use" doctrine. This doctrine permits TV news shows to use "teaser" ads including images of people reported on during the main program, and publishers to create book jackets and advertisements for unauthorized biographies containing the name or photograph of the book's subject.

aibrean

Author, Designer, Imaginative Being
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilsadowski.com
I repeat, you are not a lawyer. Legally, "incidental use" is a case-by-case basis and you can still get hung up in a lawsuit which could cause a hold on any sales until litigation/settlement is finished. I'm sure you would want to risk tarnishing your name and reputation because you think you know what you are doing because of some articles you read on the internet.

http://youtu.be/rmx4twCK3_I?t=11s

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
How much you want something to be true, has not bearing on whether it is true or not. I think this thread has run its course and I am going to close it.

Status
Not open for further replies.