How is everyone?

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to try the organic banana extract. Once they get a load of that, they'll be malingering constantly just to get some.
I'm sorry your autumn has been ruined! We've had two days of torrential rain, but the sun is out. Yes, we were practically neighbors! My ex-husband was Canadian and his family lived in Ontario, so always border-hopping.
I think 10K words is a milestone worth celebrating! :e2bear:
I get stumped and fizzle quite a bit because I hate doing grunt work to get through a blockage. I like the sparkly, fairy-dust inspired automatic writing that just happens! Once that peters out...I'm bored and frustrated. Then I get another sparkly idea and move on to that. It's awesome that you're 5 chapters in!
Border hopping, I will assume you were near London or somewhere in Southern Ontario(I was born down there, but I'm far from there now, closer to Manitoba)

I hear ya on the new ideas, if I could write beginning chapters for a living I'd be just fine!I have zero problem starting a novel!

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I once read in a novel from one of my fave authors a sentence that said "she checked her insulin level" and it BUGGED me so bad and almost ruined the book. Diabetics don't check insulin levels they check blood sugar levels so they can administer proper insulin dose. A simple google search would have revealed this.

Insulin levels can be checked, but as you said, it's much more common for people with diabetes to monitor their sugar levels instead.

That's one reason I don't read any book with "sheik" in the title. I grew up in Dubai, and chances are, the author is going to write about a Middle East that does not resemble the place I'm familiar with. Suspension of disbelief, gone.

And I made my deadline! *points at sig* So I'll be doing a lot of editing instead of NaNo. I'd love to get this out to betas before the end of November.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Insulin levels can be checked, but as you said, it's much more common for people with diabetes to monitor their sugar levels instead.

That's one reason I don't read any book with "sheik" in the title. I grew up in Dubai, and chances are, the author is going to write about a Middle East that does not resemble the place I'm familiar with. Suspension of disbelief, gone.

And I made my deadline! *points at sig* So I'll be doing a lot of editing instead of NaNo. I'd love to get this out to betas before the end of November.

I've never seen a diabetic check their insulin level, ever. Maybe in hospital a doctor might order an insulin level on blood work up, but diabetics (which I see a lot of in home-care) never test, they always test blood sugar, paramedics test blood sugar and nurses test blood sugar levels. I think the author figured that since diabetics need insulin that this is what they test for. But what is needed is a blood sugar level especially for those who are on sliding scale insulins. Lantus not so much since its long acting. Ok I won't bore anyone further :) Yes its very hard to write about a place you've never been, I wouldn't even attempt middle east, I would be clueless! CONGRATS on making your deadline!!!!!!

My husbands pet peeve is watching Gold Rush, or Highway through hell, the drama and the noise effects which are added in drive him nuts. Especially on Ice road truckers when they hear the ice crack and hang out of their semi truck. We both laugh because my husband used to build bush roads and his father owns a trucking/logging outfit so don't believe anything you watch on that show!

HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYONE!

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
crampedquartersblog.wordpress.com
Border hopping, I will assume you were near London or somewhere in Southern Ontario(I was born down there, but I'm far from there now, closer to Manitoba).

Yep! London, and also Mississauga. Went to Toronto for big-city adventure (cleaner and less scary than Chicago for rubes like me), and bopped over to Niagara Falls lots of times. But we also saw some of the north country, doing circle tours of Lake Superior.

I hear ya on the new ideas, if I could write beginning chapters for a living I'd be just fine!I have zero problem starting a novel!

Dang. If I could get paid for writing giant synopses, I could quit my job. Eeesh.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yep! London, and also Mississauga. Went to Toronto for big-city adventure (cleaner and less scary than Chicago for rubes like me), and bopped over to Niagara Falls lots of times. But we also saw some of the north country, doing circle tours of Lake Superior.

Dang. If I could get paid for writing giant synopses, I could quit my job. Eeesh.
How about query letters? If I ever reach that point I will need MAJOR help in that department! We took the kids to Niagara Falls in June, we drove from here so we did the north shore of superior....OMG beautiful beautiful beautiful! The last time I'd driven that route was with my parents as a kid so I never paid attention to the scenery...my face was shoved in a book or I was sleeping. I've never heard of a circle tour, will have to look that up.

We survived another halloween and last night I did some writing, I came across a good blog that I've bookmarked so I can review today. Hopefully I will learn a few things, I know my writing is sloppy but I just want to push forward and not get stuck in the edit loop. http://https://writersinthestorm.wordpress.com/2014/06/06/novel-diagnostics-how-to-tell-if-your-book-might-have-terminal-problems-in-ten-pages/

I have some plot issues, if I'm brave enough I'll go post in the sandbox.

The more I read the more I realize many authors don't worry about the plausibility of what their MC are doing, they need to keep readers hooked so most of fictional books are unrealistic. THIS is what I struggle with. I have to put the drama in my novel and not worry if it can actually happen. It's fiction for a reason, its not a true story. I need to allow myself the freedom with my work. Otherwise how boring will it be.

When bad things happen in fiction there is a reason the characters don't involve the police and they take matters into their own hands. Or just simply watching an episode of Grey's Anatomy....how far fetched and completely unrealistic can a show be? Yet I really enjoyed the first 5 seasons.

So how do I put my inner thoughts aside those thoughts that say "that's unrealistic"

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
We took the kids to Niagara Falls in June, we drove from here so we did the north shore of superior....OMG beautiful beautiful beautiful! The last time I'd driven that route was with my parents as a kid so I never paid attention to the scenery...my face was shoved in a book or I was sleeping. I've never heard of a circle tour, will have to look that up.

I went to Niagara for my honeymoon with #1. How traditional is THAT? :) Circle tour is just following the road all the way around Lake Superior. It takes a while, obviously. But it's fun to stay in the little motels and cabins along the way.

The more I read the more I realize many authors don't worry about the plausibility of what their MC are doing, they need to keep readers hooked so most of fictional books are unrealistic. THIS is what I struggle with. I have to put the drama in my novel and not worry if it can actually happen. It's fiction for a reason, its not a true story. I need to allow myself the freedom with my work. Otherwise how boring will it be.

So how do I put my inner thoughts aside those thoughts that say "that's unrealistic"

When you figure out how to do that, toss a rock through my window with instructions attached. 'Cause that's one of the top five blockages I have. Especially with historical romance. Honestly, if you wrote a totally realistic historical romance, no one would want to read it. The heroine in my current 18th century story has to do something no well-bred young lady would do in that era or the whole thing collapses. I have to grit my teeth and push her out the door while she's digging in her heels and screeching, "This is totally unrealistic! I would never do this!" Girl has my hand prints all over her back.

But you're right - if you get a reader hooked, you can really play out the line and still keep that fish snagged!

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I went to Niagara for my honeymoon with #1. How traditional is THAT? :) Circle tour is just following the road all the way around Lake Superior. It takes a while, obviously. But it's fun to stay in the little motels and cabins along the way.

When you figure out how to do that, toss a rock through my window with instructions attached. 'Cause that's one of the top five blockages I have. Especially with historical romance. Honestly, if you wrote a totally realistic historical romance, no one would want to read it. The heroine in my current 18th century story has to do something no well-bred young lady would do in that era or the whole thing collapses. I have to grit my teeth and push her out the door while she's digging in her heels and screeching, "This is totally unrealistic! I would never do this!" Girl has my hand prints all over her back.

But you're right - if you get a reader hooked, you can really play out the line and still keep that fish snagged!

Ha! Will do! Right now I'm trying to think back to being 23, I'm writing as a 43 year old and I need to dial back and remember my world view and knowledge was vastly different than it is today. But she's placed in 2017 as a 23 year old not 1997 and the world was a different place in 1997. So it's a struggle. I think the attachment to smart phones is a challenge and since young people today spend gobs of time on their devices its definitely not a real portrayal of what a typical 23 would be doing. But I can't write a novel where all my dialogue takes place via text message when lets face it most dialogue is done via facebook/snapchat/twitter and smart phones.

I did re-look at my chapter one....and made a major adjustment. I also added a preface, however this could end up being deleted.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
I'm writing mostly paranormal these days, so plausibility pretty much flies out the window the second one of my characters turns into an animal. The trick is to keep it plausible within the rules of that particular "universe." No changing things at the last minute just because you wrote yourself into a corner. Even fantasy doesn't work that way.

But yeah, I know where you're coming from. Saw an example on Supernatural about two seasons ago. Werewolf: fine, works in context. Sam, gut shot, staggers bloody into a hospital and there's nobody at the front desk, and nobody at all in the hallways, except the one guy who gets attacked by the werewolf. Oh, and all those pharmaceuticals? So easily accessed Dean grabs himself a handful of pills without getting caught, or noticed. Even in a small-town hospital, no, I don't think so.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing mostly paranormal these days, so plausibility pretty much flies out the window the second one of my characters turns into an animal. The trick is to keep it plausible within the rules of that particular "universe." No changing things at the last minute just because you wrote yourself into a corner. Even fantasy doesn't work that way.

But yeah, I know where you're coming from. Saw an example on Supernatural about two seasons ago. Werewolf: fine, works in context. Sam, gut shot, staggers bloody into a hospital and there's nobody at the front desk, and nobody at all in the hallways, except the one guy who gets attacked by the werewolf. Oh, and all those pharmaceuticals? So easily accessed Dean grabs himself a handful of pills without getting caught, or noticed. Even in a small-town hospital, no, I don't think so.

Yes, like the final Scream movie at the end when Cox is in the hospital....and NOBODY is around.....good grief. Hospitals at 3am are still noisy, this why patients want to go home, they can't sleep because of the nurses doing hourly rounds and vital signs and iv's beeping. Crap like that drives me nuts!

So my book what was happening for my ending just wasn't plausible and too many loose ends. So I've dramatically changed it, and now it is plausible. I'm glad I changed the location too, I'm much more comfortable writing about a geography that is similar to mine in weather etc.

I will be gone for a few days....I'm going to the city for a girls shopping trip....see everyone Sunday, I hope you all have a good weekend!

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
OK. I'm probably going to jinx myself right now. Like how you tell everyone you're engaged, and once everyone in the whole world knows, the guy dumps you. Yeah, that kind of jinx!

But the truth is, how I'm doing right now is great! Well, as far as writing is concerned. I doubt I'll get my little holiday novella project finished and out there for December 1, but damn! I have a short prologue and two chapters that fell out of the sky, and I can just about see chapter three hurtling down! I've NEVER started at the beginning and worked my way through actual chapters before!

It's coming fast and furious, and so much easier than my "official" WIP. If I can finish this - and I mean, really finish it as a polished novella - it might open the doors that have been wedged shut in my cranky little brain. I'm finally enjoying writing again. :yessmiley

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
:hooray::snoopy::Sun:Good for you! Keep going!!

I was busy with a writing retreat (excellent) and finished the short story I'd been working on...and then came down with a heavy cold (thanks. daughter #2)...and have gooey brains as a result, so other than cranking out a couple of blog posts I've just mostly been reading. Hoping to have more of a brain tomorrow so I can get back to work, except for that darned holiday thing next week.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Merri, that's such a great feeling. Strap down the skates and keep rolling!

Marissa, sorry about the crud. Blech. I'm hoping to try a writer's retreat myself one of these days soon. I'm so easily distracted lately, I feel like I need external pressure, even if it's only, "I paid to be here so BIC!"

I'm feeling frantic, having too many balls in the air, but I can happily say my first solo work (a novella) is coming out on December 11 (under my pseudonym). The downside is the publicity demands are onerous to me. I haven't done a good job of creating an online presence for my pen name. At all. (If anyone wants to follow a...wait, Entangled gave me an author brand...writer of "intensely-erotic romance" I'll happily follow back on Twitter and/or Facebook.) And I'm uncomfortable doing a lot of what they suggest I do in the publicity plan. And I don't have a cover yet. O_O And I'm revising the second book in the series, and they picked up a short novel that I have to finish by March 1.

It's a lot in a compacted time. All good-stuff, but still squeezy-feeling. :-/

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I was busy with a writing retreat (excellent) and finished the short story I'd been working on...and then came down with a heavy cold (thanks. daughter #2)...and have gooey brains as a result, so other than cranking out a couple of blog posts I've just mostly been reading. Hoping to have more of a brain tomorrow so I can get back to work, except for that darned holiday thing next week.

Gooey brains! It makes me imagine a big bowl of sloppy oatmeal sloshing around inside one's skull! Hope you're feeling better, Marissa.

And yeah...that darned holiday thing next week. The one where I have to work the day after while others lounge in their jammie-jams, drinking cocoa and watching Christmas movies. Those are the ones I envy. The ones out shopping, no. I loathe shopping on an average day, never mind Black Friday.

I'm feeling frantic, having too many balls in the air, but I can happily say my first solo work (a novella) is coming out on December 11 (under my pseudonym). The downside is the publicity demands are onerous to me. I haven't done a good job of creating an online presence for my pen name. At all. (If anyone wants to follow a...wait, Entangled gave me an author brand...writer of "intensely-erotic romance" I'll happily follow back on Twitter and/or Facebook.) And I'm uncomfortable doing a lot of what they suggest I do in the publicity plan. And I don't have a cover yet. O_O And I'm revising the second book in the series, and they picked up a short novel that I have to finish by March 1.

Elaine, congratulations on your December 11 release! Hurrah! I'm sorry you're feeling uncomfortable about the publicity. Sounds like you're expected to create an online alter-ego?

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Merri- That's great you're on a roll!!!!!!! Where do you work(don't have to be specific just what industry)

Marissa-Hope you feel better...darn kids love to spread their germs! I would love to go on a writers retreat, just to meet other writers in person, so thankful for online support, otherwise I would be completely isolated.

Elaine- CONGRATS!!!!! Oh I find looking at cover art super motivating....I hope you share once you've figured the cover out. As for making an online presence for your pen name, I really don't see the point if you're not comfortable with it. Do readers care about that stuff? I don't read books based on an authors online presence, I could care less about twitter, blogs and facebook. Maybe I'm the odd ball.

Well I'm struggling...but I'm going to tackle it today and persevere!

Our thanksgiving was back in October, the only holiday we have in November is Remembrance Day, my son sings in the choir so we went to the service saturday, which I ended up backing into my mother in laws car!!!!!AFTER my husband reminded me that she was parked in the front yard, yet I still backed into it! ughhhh...very minimal damage thank god.

Freezing rain today and roads are icky here. Glad I'm home today.

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Merri- That's great you're on a roll!!!!!!! Where do you work(don't have to be specific just what industry)

I sure hope I keep on rolling for a while yet.

I work as an executive assistant to a VP in a hospital. A long time ago, when I was in college, a writer told me that I should get a job doing manual labor or "typing or something" to conserve my mental energy for writing! Too bad she didn't give me any advice about procrastinating with all that mental energy I had conserved. I took an English degree and at that time, you either got a teaching certificate or became a secretary. I have many teachers in my family and already knew I didn't want to go that route. I had no interest in anything but reading and writing, so being an admin is perfect. You walk out the door at 3:30, you don't take work home, and you don't have to attend meetings except to take minutes! And if you're discreet, you can write notes on your own stuff WHILE you're taking minutes. ;)

ElaineA

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Elaine- CONGRATS!!!!! Oh I find looking at cover art super motivating....I hope you share once you've figured the cover out. As for making an online presence for your pen name, I really don't see the point if you're not comfortable with it. Do readers care about that stuff? I don't read books based on an authors online presence, I could care less about twitter, blogs and facebook. Maybe I'm the odd ball.

Thank you, Jan. The bind is, I'm with a publisher, and they expect me to carry some weight. They're doing a lot of promo behind the scenes, so I feel like a bit of a Scrooge being unwilling to do some stuff. If only I had more than basic end-user computer skills, I'd feel better. I can't even figure out how to do 1-step-beyond-basic things to my website to enhance sales. I'll post my cover when I get it...soon, hopefully.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
No longer with them so don't know how they're handling author promo--but if you ask for a bookmark design you could have printed up or some memes you can use in social media, will they make them for you? (once you actually have a cover. Still shaking my head about that one...)

ElaineA

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
No longer with them so don't know how they're handling author promo--but if you ask for a bookmark design you could have printed up or some memes you can use in social media, will they make them for you? (once you actually have a cover. Still shaking my head about that one...)

I thought I saw something in the publicity plan about the memes, but when I just looked again, it only mentions the social media banners, so I'm glad you mentioned it. I'll ask them, but I'm assuming I'll be responsible for those.

I don't understand the cover lateness either. IDK if it's their typical timeline, or mine is just running behind for some reason. It feels a little doomful, though, tbh. *laughcry*

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Merri-That's great you have a job where you can also sneak in some writing!

Elaine-Got it. Do most publishers expect you to blog etc? One more reason I will most likely self publish.

I'm a great aunty :) my niece had her baby yesterday and I went to see her today at the hospital....nothing better than a fresh baby!!!!

ElaineA

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Elaine-Got it. Do most publishers expect you to blog etc? One more reason I will most likely self publish.

I'm a great aunty :) my niece had her baby yesterday and I went to see her today at the hospital....nothing better than a fresh baby!!!!

Yeah, they expect a certain cooperation in publicity, but to be fair, if you want to sell books as a self-publisher, you have to do the same. 21st century publishing is "work well beyond writing the words" no matter how you slice it. It's hard when it's out of your comfort zone. :(

Congrats on the new status! GREAT-Auntie! :partyguy: (I have 3 niece/nephews who could be eligible. I never thought of it! *scream emoji*) Fresh baby. LOL! I'm going to have to remember that for when the occasion arises.

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm an aunty thanks to my brother's good work :p But I hope it'll be a while till I'm a great aunty since my brother's kids are 5 and 3 at the moment haha

Doing well with NaNo! I'm almost at 60k.

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm a great aunty my niece had her baby yesterday and I went to see her today at the hospital....nothing better than a fresh baby!!!!

Awwww! Congratulations, Great-Aunty Jan! I hope your niece is doing well. :)

Yeah, they expect a certain cooperation in publicity, but to be fair, if you want to sell books as a self-publisher, you have to do the same. 21st century publishing is "work well beyond writing the words" no matter how you slice it. It's hard when it's out of your comfort zone.

Yikes! That's pretty exhausting mentally and emotionally if it's just not your thing. Hope you are wading through it!

Doing well with NaNo! I'm almost at 60k.

:Thumbs:

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Elaine- lol you are free to use it :) Oh I don't know about plugging my own book...I'll have to cross that bridge if I ever get there! But I'm sure there are tonnes of people here that can walk you through the world of advertising.

Yoghurtelf-wow 60,000 that's great!!!!

Well don't kill me girls, but I've done a circle and I'm back at chapter two. It's still the same story line, sort of, but I was veering WAY off the romance course so now I've had to really think about where this book is going. I've added another point of view and have revamped some of the backstory. I kept thinking "where does my story start" and I had gobs of stuff prior to the beginning and now I'm fixing it. My dad asked me how it was going with writing, and I said "painful, it's the most intense frustrating bang my head on the wall thing I've ever done!" He said "yep, I was listening to a writer on the radio and he said the same thing" lol.

When I hear of authors taking 13yrs to write a novel I can now understand why. This is by far the hardest thing I've ever done(accept being a mom, but that's in a level all by itself)

So thanks to everyone for the well wishes on my great-niece, I'm going to see her today. She's 22 if people were curious about age. I know she's overwhelmed, but I told her that's normal.

Happy Saturday Peeps!