Likelihood of Achieving Budget Goal/Kickstarter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfarraday

Time Traveler
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone who has self published and used a professional editor and book cover creator...what was your budget? I have a 77K novel that is almost finished, 1st draft; needs to go through several edits obviously, but I was just wondering...if I finish the novel at 90K, then do another draft, maybe a third...would I be ready, then, to get an editor?

How much would one cost for a 90K novel?

What is the likelihood of achieving my budget goal using something like Kickstarter? I honestly can't imagine campaigning to get everyone I know under the sun to donate to my cause. I am just not really an advertiser. Does this mean my project is doomed?

Thanks for any input,

M.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I think you have to be realistic about your circumstances and the project. I have four close friends and family. There's no way I'd get a project funded through people I know, because those four are not that rich. The project would have to be amazing, to get people with a passing interest in my work to consider donating.

The same wouldn't be true for someone with 50-100 close friends and family (I always boggle when people say self-publishers sell that many copies of books to friends/family... I'm evidently anti-social in comparison). Minimal effort will hit the target, regardless of how poorly the project is presented and how little demand there is for it.

I can't answer how hot your project is or how many people you know. But thinking about it will give you some idea of your chances at success.

LBlankenship

VPXV 4EVA
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lblankenship.blogspot.com
Just as an example, for Disciple, Part I I budgeted and Kickstarted about $2,000. Note that I saved money by being able to do the design & ebook coding myself.

What Polenth said is absolutely true: the success of your Kickstarter, if you're starting from scratch, depends entirely on how many people you already know and how generous they are. If you don't have an audience, Kickstarter will not find one for you.

Have a backup plan on hand.

As for when you're ready... your betas will tell you that.

mfarraday

Time Traveler
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the informative replies. I really don't know if I have the gumption for Kickstarter. But I'll be...kickin' it around. *bad joke* I appreciate the stuff you shared! :)

RLMcKeown

The rambling bard
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rebeccamckeownwrites.com
Kickstarter might not be the one to try since you don't get any money if you don't reach your goal. Indiegogo has a flexible funding plan where you keep all your funds minus a fee. I think it's 9% if you don't reach your goal and 4% if you do. There's more info at indiegogo.com.

There's also Pubslush, which is specifically for books. I believe they also have flexible funding, which allows you to keep what you make (minus a fee) even if you don't reach your goal.

I haven't used either and I'm not sure what their "drive-by" traffic is like, but they might be worth a shot!

mfarraday

Time Traveler
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, thanks. I really appreciate the other ideas. I didn't know about these other sites. Great. :)

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
Just wanted to jump in and say that I agree with what the others have said. My Kickstarter project was successful, but of my 35 backers, five were strangers, two were friends of friends, so 28 were friends/relatives. I wouldn't have met my goal if I didn't have people I knew I could count on going into the project.

Indiegogo would be something I'd look at because of the flexible funding if I thought there'd be an issue with finding backers. The Kickstarter site is huge, with tons of projects going at once, making it tough for a potential backer to "find" you. They'd have to really be scouring the site looking for projects to fund, unless you're lucky and your project is picked by the staff and given prominent placement on the site.

Here's my project, if you're interested to see what I did.

Best of luck if you do end up going forward!

Nonny

Serve no master but your ambition
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alinamorgan.com
I'd also recommend a different site like IndieGoGo that lets you keep the money even if you come up short. I've known a few writers who have done crowdfunding campaigns, and sometimes, it was pretty close. If they had gone with Kickstarter, there would have been a lot more stress about whether or not they would have gotten the money (and in some cases, wouldn't have).

Status
Not open for further replies.