Do you reddit?

knporter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
knporter.blogspot.com
I know that reddit has been mentioned a few times in passing before but I have recently become a reddit fan. It is an excellent tool for networking. If you blog there are a few different subreddits for that, they have different literary subreddits (Horror, Romance, fiction) and many other interesting reddits you may want to check out.

fivetoesten

Registered
Reaction score
I sometimes look at the subreddits, but overall the site is a bit too juvenile for me. I just found (on reddit) this article that asks the same question you do:
Do you use Reddit?

Reddit generates about as much traffic as tumblr, apparently.

The Grump

Hates Marketing. Loves Writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mktheodoratus.com
I've encountered my possibly useful tools out there in the cloud -- but I write so slow I have problems keeping up with the few I frequent ... if I want to do any creative writing.

knporter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
knporter.blogspot.com
Yes i agree it can be very juvenile. You definitely have to pick your reddits carefully. I usually check out the literary ones so the immature redditers stay away.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I sometimes look at the subreddits, but overall the site is a bit too juvenile for me. I just found (on reddit) this article that asks the same question you do:
Do you use Reddit?

Reddit generates about as much traffic as tumblr, apparently.
I never quite understood Tumblr. There's an article or link, then there's a list of people who ... liked it? reposted it? I forget, but there appears to be no writing a response to a post as there is to just about every other online social site.

But I clicked on the article and saw the graph with the number of male vs. female users there, and it diddn't surprise me. There's this old man (older than me!) who famously complained about the juvenile redditors:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexkan...hatner-dishes-on-his-foray-into-social-media/

More of his rant is quoted here -like knporter, he uses the word "immature:"
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/11/william-shatner-reddit_n_2661932.html
Yes i agree it can be very juvenile. You definitely have to pick your reddits carefully. I usually check out the literary ones so the immature redditers stay away.
I guess it's good to know there are places on Reddit they don't go.

One can run into such peeps anywhere online, but "online" is big enough that I find it easier to stay away from places known to have many such offenders.

knporter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
knporter.blogspot.com
Any topic that you have to utilize your brain at is pretty safe for the most part. Sometimes you will get a stray redditer that is just obnoxious. It is worth checking out. I have had some pretty decent conversations with people and met a good crowd.

aus10phile

committed plantser
Registered
Reaction score
I do reddit reluctantly. Ugh. I have encountered some rude people on the site (either on my own posts or by reading other people's posts), often enough that I wouldn't be using the site if it weren't so good at driving traffic to the blog I write.

You have to not be obnoxious about posting links to your own stuff though. I only do it occasionally because it's pretty frowned upon to link to your own stuff all the time.

GeekTells

Tick tock...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geektells.com
I hang out in and occasionally post in the /apple subreddit (day job stuff for me). To me, reddit is what you make of it and where you're making it. As noted above, some subreddits are juvenile, many posters are juvenile, but there are also a bunch of wicked smart folks. I find their opinions, advice, and thoughts helpful and interesting.

MichaelMDickson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
OutlineYourNovel.com
The benefit to Reddit for writers in my opinion is the chance of having your comments go viral.

I cleverly disguised a story once to promote an outline course I had open spots for and left a link to the course on the bottom of the page as a side thought and it went viral.

In fact, it went viral in Australia on some website and I had 700 people visit my page in 24 hours. The spots for my course were filled in less than an hour.

So, it has its upside, however I haven't had the same results since.

MichaelMDickson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
OutlineYourNovel.com
I do reddit reluctantly. Ugh. I have encountered some rude people on the site (either on my own posts or by reading other people's posts), often enough that I wouldn't be using the site if it weren't so good at driving traffic to the blog I write.

You have to not be obnoxious about posting links to your own stuff though. I only do it occasionally because it's pretty frowned upon to link to your own stuff all the time.

It does drive massive traffic, thats for sure. I use it to drive specific traffic to my squeeze page and can average 50-100 sign ups per post. Over the last three months, I've kept 80% of them after further mailings so its not bad at all.