amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I pictured this and was all :eek:, especially since I didn't know they came in giant.

tumblr_ldcigyc1Ow1qzwr4oo1_400.jpg

Ahahaha! Argh! I know what that's from, too... Men in Tights?

Lastly, I added some more piles of branches to key locations around the feeders. The song birds were at first skeptical (Cardinals led the charge soon after I went back inside) but soon realized all was well and dug in. Then the purple finches were fighting over my window feeders, and I soon had a gaggle of species in my yard, eating and also drinking from the heated water dish. A few minutes later they all scattered, making good use of the cover, but I didn't see anything and a few brave birds went back out to dine.

Hopefully the extra cover at least keeps the falcon from making daily stops here, if not encouraging him to find another hunting spot. And if not, maybe I'll get a nice pic of him up close or even diving.

Mine's under my oak, which does a nice job of protecting the birdies from the hawks.

The snow had the birds out. It's like they finally figured out that there's *food* in the feeder... silly birds.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
TGIF.

So Audubon Mag had a almost-passing mention of this Peregrine Falcon and his human, so I went to youtube, and sure enough the National Geographic clip was there. I wish I was this bad ass.

Dude!!!

We have Peregrines nesting on buildings here. Not only are there less pigeons now, there are less *rats* too. Huzzah!

Etola

Still looking for stars...
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, all! Just swinging in to say hi at the end of Friday. What up? (And dare I ask why Marian's chastity belt is in the cantina?)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, Men in Tights :)

Busted, 10.

Andddddd:

Anddd, from the same article:

As the late author Douglas Adams once wrote, “There is an art . . . or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I dunno why I bother with internet wifi at home.

That last post lost the middle:

Audubon did have more about Frightful:

The flight computer attached to Frightful’s tail coverts has revealed some amazing statistics. She once dove after a lure dropped from 3,000 feet, accelerating to 157 miles per hour before neatly catching it and pulling up from her stoop a mere 57 feet above the ground. The gravitational force on her body in that moment has been calculated as high as 27 Gs. Fighter pilots typically lose consciousness at anything over nine.

Dammmmn.

Etola

Still looking for stars...
Registered
Reaction score
Nature is so bad@$$ sometimes :D And the falcon's name is Frightful? Awesome! Literary reference FTW!

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Them's fightin words!

:sword

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Your life, and YOUR EARS, you keep, and I'll tell you why.

So that every shriek of every child at seeing your hideousness will be yours to cherish. Every babe that weeps at your approach. Every woman who cries out 'Dear God, what is that thing?' will echo in your perfect ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.