Cauterizing a wound

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I once accidentally burned my thumb with a car cigarette lighter. I was in high school I think and I was like, there's no way these things get that hot. It hurt and I was left with a very, very superficial swirlie burn mark. I really doubt it would cauterize a wound. You have to get something really, really hot and sustain the heat for it to cauterize.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Could he not just tie the wound off with something? A strip of material? It's not as badass, of course. In fact, it's not badass at all.

I may end up doing that. Not quite the cool end to the chapter I wanted, but perhaps more realistic.

I tend to think the rule of cool trumps realism in cases like this. I'd buy it. I'd wince, but I'd buy it.

I'd buy it, as well, but I don't want this story to get too silly.

If I had a car cigarette lighter I would test this for seun. I'd take a link sausage and stick the lighter to it and see how much it seared.

Then I'd eat the sausage! :)

Let me know how you get on. :D

I really doubt it would cauterize a wound. You have to get something really, really hot and sustain the heat for it to cauterize.

Yeah, it's looking like this isn't the best plan. I may just have to get my character pissed, chuck a load of painkillers at him and bandage the wound.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
If it works on the sausage, try your little finger next!

Erm . . . do I have to cut off the little finger? I am rather attached to both my little fingers and have had them a long time. How do I chose between them? How would I type - I touch type and use my little fingers...a;qpz/ 50% would be bereft keys.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Or maybe he tries to cauterize it, causes himself a whole lot of pain and realises it's a stupid idea, THEN bandages it :D

Chuck Norris could do it! Chuck Norris would clean and cauterize the wound using aviation fuel and a cigarette lighter. Chuck Norris would cook and eat the missing part of the finger. Chuck Norris would then cut off the little finger of the other hand just so he could clap properly when Chuck Norris went to the Ted Nugent concert.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
Chuck Norris could do it! Chuck Norris would clean and cauterize the wound using aviation fuel and a cigarette lighter. Chuck Norris would cook and eat the missing part of the finger. Chuck Norris would then cut off the little finger of the other hand just so he could clap properly when Chuck Norris went to the Ted Nugent concert.

To my eternal regret, only Chuck Norris is Chuck Norris :(

Unless Seun's character is Chuck Norris. That changes everything.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Chuck Norris can be any character he wants to be!