Status
Not open for further replies.

MissKris

Is the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristindmiller.com
I just finished Meg Rosoff's How I Live Now. I almost put it down because the stream-of-consciousness writing and the rather random capitalization was getting on my nerves by about the 10th chapter, but thank goodness I didn't! I don't know if the writing gets better after that or if I just got used to it, but the style stopped bothering me so much and instead I was walloped emotionally by the story. Ended up loving it.

Blind Writer

YA/MG Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kodykeplinger.com
I'm doing a little research on agents, so I'm getting ready to start reading The Thirteen Little Blue Evelopes by Maureen Johnson and Faking 19 by Alyson Noel.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Following on from Thump's post, another novel by an AW-er, which I finished yesterday: Bethany Griffin's Handcuffs. I enjoyed it quite a bit. With my writing hat on, I'll say the use of time sequence early on was very accomplished, at one point managing a flashback inside a flashback and still coming across as seamless.

Kats

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen. I picked it up as I've heard so many good things about the author - not sure if this is just not one of her better books, but I didn't enjoy it. I didn't really relate to the characters and thought nothing much happened.

I'm currently reading some Night World books by L J Smith which have been rereleased. They're a bit disappointing, not as good as the Secret Circle series.

Blind Writer

YA/MG Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kodykeplinger.com
I just finished This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen. I picked it up as I've heard so many good things about the author - not sure if this is just not one of her better books, but I didn't enjoy it. I didn't really relate to the characters and thought nothing much happened.

I love Sarah Dessen, but THIS LULLABY isn't one of her best--though many of my friends will strongly disagree. I'd suggest reading DREAMLAND or JUST LISTEN. They're much better.

Kats

Registered
Reaction score
I love Sarah Dessen, but THIS LULLABY isn't one of her best--though many of my friends will strongly disagree. I'd suggest reading DREAMLAND or JUST LISTEN. They're much better.

Thanks for the tip, I've heard Just Listen is good so I might check that one out.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Really did not like Just Listen, for what it's worth. It's the only SD I've read.

Red.Ink.Rain

Not your kid brother's YA
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristin-briana.livejournal.com
Dreamland by Sarah Dessen is the only one I've read, and I liked it. It was sad though.

Just finished Paper Towns by John Green. I might go and re-read City of Bones. Guilty pleasures. :D

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Little Brother by Cory Doctorow. Even though I agree with the author's political views, this was one polemic that really didn't do it for me. It was like having the print equivalent of Michael Moore and Richard Dawkins shouting at me and the fact that it's so coy about race (which seems to me to be a critical factor in any book that touches on terrorism these days and to the political arguments for greater 'security') was a bit difficult to stomach. Also, as a Brit all the stuff about the Constitution and Bill of Rights grated on me after a while - damn you Colonialists! You'll be back, one day! Mwah ha ha ha ha</irony>

There were some well-written set piece scenes and I found some of the tech stuff on encryption interesting, but the fact that the arguments were one-sided and overstated meant that for me, it wasn't the book it could have been.

MM

Dichroic

that's di-CROW-ick
Registered
Reaction score
Website
riseagain.net
Just finished The Willoughbys - and just the idea that the same author wrote both that and Number the Stars is seriously hurting my head, even though I think both are great. Next up probably Alex and the Ironical Gentleman - I didn't know the author was on AW, but I've heard good things about it.

nayner

Needs more sleep.
Registered
Reaction score
instead I was walloped emotionally by the story. Ended up loving it.

SAME HERE. I think walloped is a good term to use for that book. I definitely recommend that book though. so good.

abctriplets

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abctriplets.blogspot.com
"Alex and the Ironic Gentleman" by AW's own Toothpaste :D I saw it in the library and grabbed it like it was a cupcake :D I just go around telling people I know the author ;)

I just was looking at "Alex and the Ironic Gentleman" on my bookshelf. I might have to pick that up next. I just finished "Beyond the Valley of Thorns" (the 2nd book in the Land of Elyon saga). Personally I thought it could have gone through another rewrite...

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Just Listen by Sarah Dessen and loved it. I also got my hands on a manuscript proof copy of The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan--I finished it a few days ago and it was absolutely fantastic! Right now I'm reading Graceling by Kristin Cashore. I'm really enjoying it; it reminds me of Tammy Pierce's work, which isn't a bad thing because I pick one of her quartets to reread every year. :D

adarkfox

designs books | writes books
Registered
Reaction score
reading The Warrior Heir

CheyElizabeth

My horn can pierce the sky!
Registered
Reaction score
Re reading Bluebloods right now so I can read Masquerade, the sequal. Also, I've heard so much great things about Sarah Dressen, that she's next on my list!

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
Right now I'm reading Cassandra Clare's City of Bones and I can't say I'm enjoying it all that much. It's not that it's bad but I'm not all that interested and she just can't seem to let the descriptions lie. It drags a lot too.

Amynta

Registered
Reaction score
Website
catherine-haines.com
I just finished Terrier by Tamora Pierce. It was different from her other novels, mainly in that it was in first person, but she carried it off well. It was nice to see a Tortall that wasn't the world of the nobles and the knights. I did have to keep looking at the back to check the slang though.

Right now I'm just pleased as punch that I managed to score 5 Tammy Pierce books for $50NZ (including shipping - The Circle Opens quartet and the Trickster two-in-one hardcover). Those are all at least $20NZ each. Go me!

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Cracked Up to Be by Courtney Summers. Really engaging with great (and complex) characters. It's her debut novel and can't wait to see what she'll follow it up with.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading The Murder of Bindy Mackenzie by Jaclyn Moriarty. I like it so far, especially the way the story is told, through Bindy's reports, philosophical musings, etc. Plus, Bindy is a quirky character, and I'm a sucker for quirky characters, as well as any books involving intellectual snobbery.

Last edited:

Leila

bookshop girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theleilasoliloquy.blogspot.com
I love Jaclyn Moriarty, she's wonderful. Although I have to be careful about not reading her in public, because she tends to make me laugh out loud. I particularly enjoyed Finding Cassie Crazy, and her grown up one, I have a Bed made of Buttermilk Pancakes. She does whimsicalness like no one else.

I'm currently reading Chains, by Laurie Halse Anderson. It's about a slave during the 1770s in New York. Compelling, beautifully written stuff. I don't usually read historical fiction but I'm definitely rethinking that now. And I've also just finished The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (the one with the Dave McKean illustrations, although the Chris Riddell version is awesome too), and thought it was stunning. It's about a boy who is orphaned as a baby who is brought up in a graveyard by all the ghosts who reside there.

abctriplets

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abctriplets.blogspot.com
And I've also just finished The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (the one with the Dave McKean illustrations, although the Chris Riddell version is awesome too), and thought it was stunning. It's about a boy who is orphaned as a baby who is brought up in a graveyard by all the ghosts who reside there.

That sounds quite interesting, and a bit different for Gaiman. Is it just me, or is he venturing more frequently into the YA/MG market?

My wife and I love most everything he writes, and even named one of our kids after one of his characters :)

Blind Writer

YA/MG Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kodykeplinger.com
Almost done with Marked by PC and Kristen Cast, which is very good so far. I love the voice. ONce i'm done, I"ll start Faking 19 by Alyson Noel.

Status
Not open for further replies.