Writing about yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.

rallygirl

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have been asked to submit an autobiography type piece for inclusion in a book which is to be self-published. The book is about Australian Chrysler car owners and their cars/life style. It will be a coffee table style for motoring enthusiasts.

My question is how does one write about oneself? I have asked the publisher what the guidelines are and he has told me just to write like I’m talking to car enthusiasts.

I just don’t know where to start!
I get stuck for words!:Shrug:

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
Well, I'd start by asking how much this gig pays. :)

After that - well, if I were given a similar assignment for American Chrysler enthusiats, I'd start with why, exactly, I thought it was a good idea to get a derelict 1966 Dodge Dart (in 1996) as my first car. I'd go on to write about how I started fixing it up as best I could, the time I had a tire blow out at around 80 mph on the freeway, how embarassed I was when I brought it to the dragstrip and found it was much less competative than I thought, the time I thought I could rebuild the front suspension in my parents' garage while home from college on Christmas break and didn't get the job done by the time I had to return, my even more drawn out attempt to build a turbocharged and injected slant six - and why, even after the project's been so much trouble, I actually enjoy it. Usually.

If you had previous experience racing (I'm guessing from your user name that you're into that sort of thing) or restoring cars, you might want to start there and talk about why you switched to working on a Chrysler product.

Good luck.

rallygirl

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Matt:D

Sounds like a good place to start!
I have a 1966 Dodge Phoenix (same as US Plymouth Fury) which I use as a daily driver/tow car. I also race a 1980 Chrysler Scorpion (Plymouth Sapporo) in autocross/rally type events.
Guess I will start with how i got my Phoenix (love at first sight), our adventures and then some on my racing:)

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Think about having someone you know to be a creative interview you and ask questions. You can think up the questions. Just have someone else ask them. Do it over dinner or some other unobtrusive setting. Record the results then formulate your writings based on observance of what you say.

That'll get you past a few of the barriers associated with writing about yourself. That and several beers. :)

rallygirl

Registered
Reaction score
jst5150 said:
Think about having someone you know to be a creative interview you and ask questions. You can think up the questions. Just have someone else ask them. Do it over dinner or some other unobtrusive setting. Record the results then formulate your writings based on observance of what you say.

That'll get you past a few of the barriers associated with writing about yourself. That and several beers. :)

I thought about doing that. Thanks.
I have also noticed some publishers ask for a short bio on your self when you submit a MS. Another area I will possibly have to deal with...lol

Vlad

Cars, cars, cars

Writing about yourself is not that difficult - just write as a third person would about you. Who doesn't love cars, even
Chrysler
:) (Just teasing.) I am a former race car driver and love writing about it too. I don't race any more...just had to try flying instead, I also have designed and built my own sports car, but that was a long time ago (some pictures are on my website.)
Now I am into SHARING my experiences. One of my books should be read by all drivers and actually anyone can read it for free, chapter a week on my website too (Chapter 5 is up now...changed every Sunday.)
I am new on this BB and my name is Vlad
Chramosta
(Canada) So, hello everyone .

Vlad
www.freewebs.com/chramosta

Status
Not open for further replies.