James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
For Celtic Knotwork, I'm not necessarily talking about characters. I'm talking about themes, I'm talking about moving foreground to background and back.

It's partly mechanical, it's partly as a reminder that things have to change, partly because readers have constantly moving focus of attention.

Mostly, though, it's (one of the many) ways I Do Things. If it's useful to you, if it helps you get a grasp on your plot -- then that's good. If it isn't useful, move on to another mode of construction.

Ava Jarvis

Too stupid to know fear
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spontaneousderivation.com
Hi, and the power of the total rewrite

Hello Uncle Jim and all,

You know, I must have run into the water cooler quite a bit earlier than I thought I did, because I remember Uncle Jim's advice for odd books to read. And I did read them (I liked Logical Chess, because every time I read it, I become very buff in my chess skillz, but then it evaporates and I need to read it again). I'm probably going to pick up the magic book again, because I think I understand more now....

I'm working my way backwards through this wonderful thread.

And I ran across something I'd forgotten, which is the power of the complete rewrite; pick up your first draft and then type it all back in again, adapting as you go. Or even, in my case, putting the first draft somewhere else and rewriting from scratch, with vague memories to guide me. At this point I would be preaching to the choir, but the power was demonstrated to me quite clearly at one point... which was during a timed contest in high school. So maybe this will be useful to somebody else.

Once upon a time, four student writers (very good, though I question the inclusion of me sometimes still) went into a room, were handed an essay topic, and in two hours each was expected to generate ten pages of prose on it. The best got a neat certificate and some money. Unfortunately, the topic was something I hated---politics. Specifically, something about dealing with violence in America. And yet here I was---locked room, buzzing fluorescent lights, two hours, ten pages.

After the first hour, my approach dead-ended. Completely. I could continue it maybe as a cliche, but I knew it was dead in the water. The clock was ticking. The others were so heads-down... the nightmares of exam times struck me all at once. I desperately thought back to some of the more avant garde texts we'd read in literature, that were about politics yet that I didn't hate and actually finished. A bit of Mark Twain, for instance. Something reversed, perverse, tongue in cheek. 15 minutes of cold sweat passed as I tried to rework my current article. Only 45 minutes left. So I made a last-ditch effort of insanity.

I threw away all my old work and restarted.

I burned---oh how I burned---through text as quickly as I could. I forced my way over all the horrible little bumps, because there just wasn't any time. I made it through all the way to the bell. I handed it in, and thought, crap, what a mess of it, and was depressed in the way only teenagers can be for the whole weekend and then some.

A week later I found out I won.

(Mind you, a similar Twain approach killed my AP test score for English; complete big fat zero, tanked everything else including my outstanding grammar/reading/etc scores, resulting in two years of remedial english/lit classes in college. Which just goes to show that sometimes you just suck. Anyways....)

The certificate was lost, the money was soon spent, but the lesson remained. And until recently I'd forgotten it.

How I do love writing. I'd forgotten. How could I forget. I feel possessed. I know I don't have what it takes, but by darn it, I will take it and grab it and make it mine. I will make quality if I can. Maybe I never had it and will never get it, maybe I will fail horribly, maybe I will inflict all kinds of pain on slush readers, but at least I will go out blazing.

Anyways. Many thanks to you, Uncle Jim and the others. I will learn a lot here. You all inspire me. :e2grouphu I will keep reading and keep the faith....

I will write, and write, and write, and write.... okay, now I'll stop writing here and go write for real.

Lilybiz

glad to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
petreaburchard.com
Finished

Hey Uncle Jim and all,

I finished my novel. First book, third draft.

It feels finished, anyway. There will be beta reads, tweaks, time on the shelf and a polish. I don't know what else. But I want to thank you because this thread has been such a help, even when I've had to stay away (even that little bit of advice called BIC came from here).

Thank you, Jim and all.

Petrea

wayndom

Registered
Reaction score
on backups--I think I did mention on another thread--that I use one disk per day (3.5) so I have a Mon. disk, a Tues. disk, etc. And my Corel WP backs up automatically every 3 min. Once a week I back up my entire writing folder to CD

Sounds good, but I used to do the same, and found that 3.5 floppies are very prone to damage, even when carefully placed in a protective case.

I've stopped using floppies altogether (too many perfectly good floppies would suddenly become corrupted for no apparent reason), and now back up to a stand-alone HD (picked up a 160 gig for $60) with a USB connection and, more importantly (since, as any computer professional will tell you, "Your hard drive will fail"), a "thumb drive," one of those flash drives that plugs into the USB port and hangs on my keyring when not in use. Nothing beats saving to CD, though.

Ava Jarvis

Too stupid to know fear
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Nothing beats saving to CD, though.

Saving to Amazon S3 does. So far I have been paying maybe 5 cents a month for storage and transfer, access from anywhere, all encrypted, and things don't get lost.

Jungle Disk mounts your S3 bucket like a real drive:

http://www.jungledisk.com/

Runs on anything: Windows, Mac OS X, Linux.... and has a USB keychain version.

I tell Scrivener to make a backup there and it does so without blinking an eye.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm working my way backwards through this wonderful thread.

Thank you, and you're quite welcome.

And I ran across something I'd forgotten, which is the power of the complete rewrite; pick up your first draft and then type it all back in again, adapting as you go....

I burned---oh how I burned---through text as quickly as I could.

How I do love writing. I'd forgotten. How could I forget. I feel possessed.

You have to love it. Make it burn, light your world. That's the joy. That's what this art is all about. Publishing? Pfah! Nice, but not the biggest reward.

(Oh -- and I recall my AP History exam back in High School, where the essay question was on the outcome of WWII, and I proved beyond the shadow of a doubt that the sole unique outcome of WWII was the composition of the song "Dirty Gertie from Bizerte." During the course of the essay I quoted most of the lyrics. (Dirty Gertie, among her other adventures, hid a mousetrap 'neath her skirtie, baited it with fleur-de-flirtie, made her boyfriends' fingers hurtie, and made her boyfriends most alertie. (She was voted, in Bizerte, 'Miss Latrine' for 1930.) I got an 800.....)

Hey Uncle Jim and all,

I finished my novel. First book, third draft.

Woo hoo! Go, you!

Go, have a pizza! See a movie! Have a long chat with a friend! ... And write the first chapter for your next book.

Congratulations!

Mitch, I see you've been a member here for two years, and I see your first post has been in this thread. I am honored.

Sounds good, but I used to do the same, and found that 3.5 floppies are very prone to damage, even when carefully placed in a protective case.

and

Saving to Amazon S3 does. So far I have been paying maybe 5 cents a month for storage and transfer, access from anywhere, all encrypted, and things don't get lost.

Save, save, save. Every day. And save some more.

The thing that I find is the absolute best, though, is Save to Paper. Hardcopy has some real advantages....

Oh--and how I spent my morning. Sitting in my favorite coffee shop (Le Rendezvous, in downtown Colebrook) going over the galleys for "Philologos; or, A Murder in Bistrita" coming soon (probably December) in Fantasy and Science Fiction (Subscribe now! Don't miss a single thrilling issue!)

First paragraph (I'm really happy with it):

William Sharps (Ph.D., Harvard, 1844) sat in the dining room of the Coroana de Aur hotel in Bistrita and listened to two men plotting to kill him.

Bayou Bill

AW Ne'er-Do-Well
Registered
Reaction score
Down so low in Austin, bottom looks like up.
Website
billsbilge.blogspot.com
(Oh -- and I recall my AP History exam back in High School, where the essay question was on the outcome of WWII, and I proved beyond the shadow of a doubt that the sole unique outcome of WWII was the composition of the song "Dirty Gertie from Bizerte." During the course of the essay I quoted most of the lyrics. (Dirty Gertie, among her other adventures, hid a mousetrap 'neath her skirtie, baited it with fleur-de-flirtie, made her boyfriends' fingers hurtie, and made her boyfriends most alertie. (She was voted, in Bizerte, 'Miss Latrine' for 1930.) I got an 800.....)
You are right, of course, but only up to a point. There can be no question that "Dirty Gerite from Bizerte" is a song among songs. However (and IMHO) it's impossible to overlook Hoagy Carmichael's immortal contribution to the war effort,

"I'm a Cranky Old Yank in a Clanky Old Tank on the Streets of Yokohama with my Honolulu Mama Doin’ Those Beat-o, Beat-o Flat-On-My-Seat-o, Hirohito Blues"

Respectfully submitted,

Bayou Bill :cool:

Last edited:

Mitch Wagner

I'm honored to be here, Jim. Really.

If this is my second post, I ought to introduce myself. And then I'll talk about my current challenge in my novel-in-progress.

As you know, Jim, but others here don't, my career is as a writer, specifically tech journalism. I write a lot for work every day, I write a little on Internet discussion forums too, and when all that's done, I haven't had time or energy for fiction. Even though I've dreamed of being a science-fiction writer since I was about 11 years old.

But lately I've had more discipline. I've turned out four short stories and novelettes in the past two or three years. Until recently, I've been submitting them fairly conscientiously. But my experience being rejected -- and, more importantly, other people's experience -- has discouraged me from shorter lengths. There just isn't a market for it. More importantly, there just isn't a READERSHIP for it. Some people write to get their names on books. Some people love writing. I write to be read.

So now I'm working on a novel. I'm about 34,000 words in. I've finally found a system that seems to work: Don't outline, don't worry about planning ahead, just sit and write. Every day. 250 words a day.

I find that having a do-able quota for word-count is absolute magic. It's the best thing I could do to make myself produce fiction. Because it gets to be a habit.

Jerry Seinfeld, the comedian, had a great tip for this kind of thing. He tells up-and-coming comedians they have to write, and have to do it every day. (Stand-up comedy is a form of writing -- who knew?) He says you should get a paper calendar, put it on the wall, mark a red X every day
you write. Eventually you will have a row of red Xes. The row will get to be quite long. And you won't want to skip a day writing, because you won't want to break up that row, and have a white space interrupting that long row of red Xes.

And that works for me. I don't have an actual calendar, but I visualize one. And sometimes it does get to be 9 pm or 10 pm and I still haven't done my writing for the day, and I think about blowing it off, but then I think about breaking up the row of red Xes and I say to myself, "Come on, you don't want to break up the row of red Xes. And it's only 250 words." And I sit down and do my 250 words that day.

That's another thing that contributes to the magic: 250 words isn't much. A guy like me can do that in a few minutes. This post, up until the preceding paragraph, was more than twice as long as that.

I don't know where I came up with the figure 250 words a day, but I do know that it was Cory Doctorow's quota while he had a full-time job that he traveled the world for. So it works. He turned out a mess of acclaimed short fiction and one or two novels on that system.

My biggest problem as a fiction writer is that I have no confidence. I think everything I write is crap. I'm currently in a patch of novel that I think is particularly craptacular. My solution in the past would be to "put it aside," which is a euphemism for giving up. But now, my solution is: Write it out.

My two immediate problems:

I think I may have too many redundant characters. Four of them, who all seem to tell the hero what he needs to know, and tell him what to do (which he either obeys or doesn't). I was able to articulate that problem to myself a week or so ago, and I realized immediately that the four characters serve very different *emotional* purposes for the hero: One is his only friend, one is his love interest, one is his mentor, and one is ... well, he's a new friend, and I may end up getting rid of him because he really *is* redundant - but on the other hand, he's a really neat character, so I'm inclined to keep him around anyway.

The other problem I have is that I'm afraid the scene I'm writing may be a cliche. The hero is a former policeman, a commoner who finds himself among aristocracy. An aristocrat has challenged the hero to a duel. The hero thinks dueling is nonsense, but he feels there really is a a point of pride at stake, so he refuses to back down, against the better judgment of his companions (three out of the four characters mentioned above). I've seen that before -- Richard Sharpe did it a couple of times in the Sharpe novels by Bernard Cornwell, and it came up at least once on "Firefly." But I feel if I ground the scene thoroughly in the settings, story and characters, it will work.

As I said, my solution to both of these problems is just to keep writing and have faith that solutions will present themselves. But I wonder: Is there a better way? Something I could do to fix the problem faster? Something I can do without interrupting writing at least 250 words per day?

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
belated welcome

Hi Mitch and a belated welcome.

There are probably as many solutions to your problem as there are writers. Mine is to keep on writing. You can't fix writer problems until they are written. Once you have a complete story in tangible form, you can start to sift the chaff from the wheat.

Somewhere in cyber space, Jim has placed a certificate allowing us to write poorly. Perhaps he will come along and offer this same scenario. This was a great help to me wen I was suffering through the "everything I write sucks" syndrome. I learned most of my first drafts were horrible, I just didn't know it till I learned more about writing. So I fought getting things on paper. I wanted them to be final draft quality. Now I treat the first draft as a great big detailed outline. I don't mind if the outline sucks. I'll fix it in the next 3000 drafts.

This may work for you, too.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I tend to agree with Allen. Write it - it is a first draft. You aren't going to know what to do to it to fix it until the whole story is out. give yourself permission to write it poorly and take it from there.
As for the redundant characters. I deleted 3 characters from my first MS. I combined the characteristics of the deleted characters, and attributed the good speeches and advice they gave to the MC to two other characters that were strong enough to carry it all.
Two characters in the final draft were actually composites of 5 characters reduced to be stronger and leaner. It worked for me. It might be a good solution too, but get the first draft done, then fix it.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm going to go along with Allen and Stew21 -- get it written, out to The End, then reread, revise, rewrite.

And 250 words per day is a novel a year. Which is Perfectly Respectable.

Last edited:

wee

just a little
Registered
Reaction score
...I say to myself, "Come on, you don't want to break up the row of red Xes. And it's only 250 words." And I sit down and do my 250 words that day.

I don't know where I came up with the figure 250 words a day, but I do know that it was Cory Doctorow's quota while he had a full-time job that he traveled the world for. So it works. He turned out a mess of acclaimed short fiction and one or two novels on that system.

I like this little quota. I had tried to set one for myself of 1,000 words per day, but it is hard to stick to. 250 is just enough to get into it, & you are likely to write quite a bit more (I just did nearly 1,300 very easily). But it isn't so much that you are likely to feel daunted by it & not bother.

I should put up a calendar. It's too easy to cheat. :)

Lilybiz

glad to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
petreaburchard.com
Hi Mitch,

Welcome, welcome. I didn't realize you were new to posting. Makes your congratulations even more special.

I like your system, too. My first draft came spewing out (no outline, just writing). I had done a lot of thinking and had a general idea of what the story would be, but I let it flow and lots of new stuff came with that.

I did, however, end up having to outline for the second and third drafts. But the first draft served as a handy dandy guide for an outline.

Ava Jarvis

Too stupid to know fear
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Save, save, save. Every day. And save some more.

The thing that I find is the absolute best, though, is Save to Paper. Hardcopy has some real advantages....

Hard copy doesn't corrupt and doesn't become unreadable because nobody supports the file format anymore. And you can scribble on it.

I've got a question. Right now I am working on a novel, but also on short stories. Is the market that short (haha) for the stuff?

I really like the short story (maybe I'm just nostalgic), because the space was so tight, and made you focus. In a novel my words feel rather lost and lonely, and I never seem to write enough; my chapters end up being 2 paperback pages long (counting 350 words to a page).

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
that's amazing...

I'm going to go along with Allen and Stew21 -- get it written, out to The End, then reread, revise, rewrite.

And 250 pages per day is a novel a year. Which is Perfectly Respectable.

WOW! I feel like such a slacker. Jim is writing novels with 91, 000 page books and getting them published. I need to go back to the beginning of Writing With Uncle Jim. I am doing something wrong. At 250 pages, I am just not getting the job done. Jim writes in one day what I write in a year. No wonder I am not a respectable writer. I'll slip on down to the unrespectable writer's room and pump out so more erotica. Anyone seen my can of whipped cream or my spurs?

(sorry, I was just so excited that I wrote something Jim agreed with that I just couldn't resist.)

Luc2

Registered
Reaction score
Dear Uncle Jim,

I only joined AW a few says ago. I must say that this thread alone is an excellent reason for joining! I'm reading forward, so I'm only on page six, but so far it's golden.

Thank you for giving another reason to procrastinate without feeling too guilty.

Status
Not open for further replies.