Grandmas and Grandpas

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
I am currently working on a poem about the kind of grandma I want to be. It is a cute little poem that I am hoping I can read to my grand-turkettes MANY years from now.

What kind of grandparent do you want to be? Would you have any hobbies to share with your grandchildren? Would you be the grandma with the purple hair? If you are already a grandparent, what kind are you? :)

stuckupmyownera

Mostly lurking
Registered
Reaction score
I am currently working on a poem about the kind of grandma I want to be. It is a cute little poem that I am hoping I can read to my grand-turkettes MANY years from now.

What kind of grandparent do you want to be? Would you have any hobbies to share with your grandchildren? Would you be the grandma with the purple hair? If you are already a grandparent, what kind are you? :)

I'd like to be a crazy grandma who lives on a farm - and is still out there daily come rain or shine - and talks to her chickens each morning while she milks the cow and makes chutney and soap and strange breads. I'd teach the grandkids about growing tomatoes and lettuce and beans and pumpkins.

Hang on though. Does that mean I have to have kids...??

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to be a crazy grandma who lives on a farm - and is still out there daily come rain or shine - and talks to her chickens each morning while she milks the cow and makes chutney and soap and strange breads. I'd teach the grandkids about growing tomatoes and lettuce and beans and pumpkins.

Hang on though. Does that mean I have to have kids...??
LOL - Nope! You and I have similar views on how we want to be. I'd love to be that funny grandmother who wears colorful mu-mus, lets her hair get long and gray, and wears a wide straw hat while gardening. I also want to have one of those gardens, or back yards where there are fountains and fairy statues and shady places with little benches. :) I'd also like to drive a sporty red convertible!

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
I want to be the cool grandma with her straw hat and purple garden gloves who works out in her roses, writes her books and is so accepting of her grandchildren that they are happy to visit her any time. :) They will be able to come to me and I will make them cookies and listen to their stories and tell them they are my twinkling stars and that they can do anything and be anything they want to be. JUST BECAUSE! :)

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
If I were to be a grandmother, I'd be the kind to bake a lot--not cook, bake. Tons of chocolate chip cookies. Deep dark chocolate cakes....

I'd play catch in the yard, go to the playground and swing on the swings right along side of them. Take them in the ocean. Build sandcastles. Explore the beach for shells and treasure. And read a ton of books to them.

Of course, assuming I'll have the stamina and eyesight. :p

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I want to be a grandpa who tells great stories. And a teddy bear.

Ray, who never had the pleasure of meeting his grandparents

jannawrites

no, really
Registered
Reaction score
I want to be the type of grandma who, like my mom with my girls, dotes on her grandkids. Can't wait to spend time with them, one-at-a-time even, and really makes a healthy effort to form a special bond.

Oh! And I want to be the kind of grandma who alway has a piled-high supply of Stormie's chocolate chip cookies. :D

Can I have one now?

MsK

Registered
Reaction score
I want to be the cool grandma with her straw hat and purple garden gloves who works out in her roses, writes her books and is so accepting of her grandchildren that they are happy to visit her any time. :) They will be able to come to me and I will make them cookies and listen to their stories and tell them they are my twinkling stars and that they can do anything and be anything they want to be. JUST BECAUSE! :)

That sums it up perfectly for me.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
As a possible future grandmother, I want to be like my dad's mom was and the way my mom is now. Absolutely Awesome!

My father, as a granddad, is awesome as well. He and my son were out fishing together over the weekend. I am blessed with family.

Sincerely,
Gehanna

jannawrites

no, really
Registered
Reaction score
Apt timing with this, too, Turk. Grandparents Day is Friday, and my kindergartener's class is having a little party for the gmas and gpas. I was just telling her this evening we'll have to work up a gift for her grandy and papa. Got my thoughts a'twirlin' now. :)

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
On second thought...

I do not think I will come close to being as excellent a grandparent as my parents are. This I figure based on the question my daughter asked me the other day. She asked, "Mom, why are you weird?" To which my reply was, "I don't know."

I reckon I'm going to be a weird grandmother. Not going to do the purple hair thing tho. I tend to stare at people with purple hair. It freaks me out.

Sincerely,
Gehanna

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
I'd probably be a cross between the weird grandma with the purple hair and the little old lady from Pasadena with the hawt car in the garage.

Seriously, I'd want to be the person they could always come to when they had a question, or a problem, or just needed someone to hear them out. The one who's always going to be there for them, who helps them learn to believe in their own unique selves and their dreams.

Who says I have to have kids first? I'd be willing to adopt some honorary grandkids. :)

Beach Bunny

The Provocative One
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be the type of Grandma that takes them to Disney World and rides Space Mountain and the other cool rides. Or to a waterpark and ride all the slides. While they're party-pooper parents sit by and act like adults. :rolleyes:

Actually, I'll have to do this with my grand-nieces and nephews for quite awhile.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
That's easy- I just have to look at tpe of grandmother my mother is and do the exact oppisite. I want to go to all their school plays and concerts and sports events and be involved in their lives. I also want to be an active Grammy- I plan on riding my horses as long as I am able- I would share that with my grandkids. I want to sit out in the yard at midnight and look for falling stars and try to name the constellatons. I want to shop for their Birthday and Christmas presents instead of giving their parents money and asking them to buy and wrap that gift for me. I want to know who the are and I want them to know me.

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
I want to be a cool grandma. You know, the type that's always well-dressed, has an up to the minute hairdo, looks great, has all the answers to everything and is fun!

But I'm not even that now.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
From the experience of my father and grandfathers, I'd say being an alive one would be a good start.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I suppose I should give some thought to this, since my son's engaged and all, but I really haven't. I took parenting one day at a time and I figure I'll probably do the same with grandparenting.

I figure as long as I don't get annoyed with the kids (I don't like children much) and send them home crying, we're all ahead of the game.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I want to be the type of grandpa who makes each grandchild feel like he/she is the most special person on the globe each time he/she comes around me. I try to do that with my children, but it's tough to do all of the time due to the challenges of parenting. Grandparenting is pretty much free of those challenges since they are placed squarely on the shoulder of the parents (joy in the relief and in the what-goes-around-comes-around aspect of this).

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For me to be a grandma I would have to have a kid first and since I don't want any I don't see that happening. but if I was to be a grandma I'd want to be one like my late Nana. She rocked and spending weeks of my summers with her and weeks in the fall when I was was younger are now some of my most favorite memories. She also made the best dinners ever. I miss her :e2cry::e2bummed:

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score

I am a grandmother.

I love baking, but don't bake cookies... for the grandkids.. I make biscotti. :)
I dance with my grandchildren
I have blonde hair and am a size 8
I take my grandchildren, hiking, swimming, boating, and go on the roller coaster rides with them at amusement parks.
I encourage my grandchildren instead of coddling them.
I buy them books and we have book discussions...

I am not a blue hair, rocking chair, grandma...