Should I be doing more for this girl?

lakotagirl

Forgot what I was gonna say
Registered
Reaction score
We've got a search and rescue team. We operate under the local sheriff's department. I have something that I've never had to experience before and I'm not sure that I'm doing everything I can - but don't know what else I can do...

We had a callout on Wednesday afternoon. I chose to stay at home to finish a project (I work from home). From home I was able to handle communications and organize our team.

We had a missing man who had been missing since the weekend. I didn't think that it would turn out well. There were so many untrained volunteers wanting to help that they simply split the untrained volunteers up and had our team members each take a team of untrained volunteers.

Unfortunately, the group that found the body was our newest certified member. She's only been certified for three weeks. They didn't find the body on Wed. The team assembled on Thursday and went back out. She did great, but she just wasn't prepared for what she found. She did everything by the book. Verifying, containment, reports. She was fantastic.

Until she headed home.

She called me crying. I talked to her as best I could. I tried to help her through it. But - I'm not trained for that!

She had told me that her husband worked afternoons but she had kids at home to take her mind off it. When she said that she was almost home and that she'd be OK, we said goodbye.

I called the sheriff's department and asked them if they could send the chaplin out to check on her. I felt bad for her, but I felt I had done everything that I had been trained for and couldn't do any more.

I got a call about a half hour later from the sheriff. They couldn't find her and she wasn't answering her cell.

Five minutes later she called me. She had arranged for a babysitter because she didn't want the kids to see her upset.

I found out where she was and told her to sit tight - I'd be there in 15 minutes. Called her team captain on the way there and called the sheriff to tell him where to send the chaplin.

I got to her first. She broke down and cried -- but when her team captain and the chaplin got there, she pulled herself together and said she'd be OK. We sat and talked to her for two hours. She seemed OK - upset, but OK.

She promised to go home. She promised to call the chaplin if she needed him.

But, guess who she called at 10:30 last night? I talked to her until almost midnight. I did have her laughing and she said that she felt much better. I encouraged her to talk to the chaplin again. But, she says that she feels better talking to me.

Have I done everything I can do? I THINK she is strong. I THINK she will get through this. I WISH she had been more experienced before she had to see this. I can't change anything that happened. But, if I knew what to do, I might help.

What would YOU do?

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
You did great. If she feels more comfortable with you and you don't mind talking... maybe that's all she needed. You are helping her regain her bearings. Facing death in that type of situation is harrowing (which I'm sure you know). She's just getting re-acclimated, using you as a compass. You did great!

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
You are doing everything you can and being absolutely wonderful. She obviously appreciates your support and help and I think you're right, she will get through this. You are her pillar of strength right now, but she will eventually stand on her own again.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
I think you did everything you could. Way to go on being there for someone when they needed you.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
You're doing your best with this woman. It's hard having someone die on you, it's hard finding someone dead especialy in an outdoor long-term situation. Yes, it's part of the job but her compassion and yours are gifts.

Trish

Registered
Reaction score
Website
childrens-books-author-p-puddle.com
Yes, you did a good job, Lakotagirl. It sound like she can relate to you. And your sense of humor is helping her cope. I think you are, very brave doing a volunteer job like that. We rescue wild animals. That's bad enough and heartbreaking, but I couldn't do what you do. She, is very brave too.

I think it's the thought of facing death, ourselves or loosing our loved ones that is so upseting. And seeing someone loose everything. You couldn't do any more for her.

Keep us posted.

lakotagirl

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all.

I think my biggest problem is with me. It's the guilt I feel for sending her out there. It was my fault this happened. It was my call to say that she was ready.

Every other search we've done, I've appointed someone to "man the phones". I'm usually the first one there and organize hasty searches and have the staging area set up for the team. This week I wanted to finish my project so took the lazy way out.

I wish I hadn't. I wish I'd been there and could have held her after the find. I'm not stupid. I was 99% sure what they would find.

I sit here and wonder why the hell she wants to talk to the very person who sent her into something that she wasn't prepared for.

She WILL be ok. She called this morning and invited me to her son's graduation party tonight. I hope her husband doesn't kick the shit out of me....(I would) :)

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
You're beating yourself up over this needlessly. Someone can be ready to that job but still suffer for the humanity and the reality of their first field experience. Take comfort that she's seeking you... I think it shows that you did do everything right. It shows that she has formed a bond with you. She will get over this and be stronger for it. Don't beat yourself up.

lakotagirl

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. You are right.

Put in perspective: It's NOT about ME.

I think I was having fun wallowing in self doubt. But, it's not about me.

I made a decision. It was the right decision. Now I just need to make sure that I follow through. It's not in my comfort zone, but I can do it.

Trish

Registered
Reaction score
Website
childrens-books-author-p-puddle.com
She would have had to go through it eventually anyway if she is a vounteer. At least you were there for her. I think she probably admires you and wonders how you cope with it. So, she is coming to you for guidance.

lakotagirl

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, I gave her some pretty good guidance.

Once I got her laughing, we discussed the best techniques for missing your shoes when you puke and how real life ain't nuthin like CSI. (TV hasn't developed a way to include smell yet)

She'll be OK. I'll call her a couple times over the weekend to make sure. Her husband has tonight off for their son's graduation so he will be with her.

And I am over my self pity party. Life goes on. We can have fun or we can find something to be miserable about. I choose fun!

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I think my biggest problem is with me. It's the guilt I feel for sending her out there. It was my fault this happened. It was my call to say that she was ready.

Is anyone ever ready? There's always going to be a first time, and it's likely always going to be horrible. This girl would have reacted the same way no matter how long she had "prepared." Now she'll either get over it and get back out there or she'll realize she can't handle it and quit. None of that has anything to do with you. Not your fault!!! :)

Anyway your story reminds me of an episode of NYPD Blue I just rewatched. In the opening sequence, Andy and Bobby are arriving on the scene of a crime in which the victim has been decapitated and his head left in his own lap. The cop who is there guarding the scene is a young woman who looks like she's about to break down and run away screaming; she wants to wait by the door.

Instead of being nice to her, Andy politely asks her to come into the room with the body and run them through the scene. She edges in, looking mighty green, and stumbles through the recitation. She finishes, and Andy very casually makes this horrible, awful, totally crass joke about the body. She gives him this look like "WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH YOU?" But then she thinks about it for a moment, kind of chuckles, looks at the body, and walks out. Andy turns to Bobby and says "She'll be all right."

Anyway the point is that we're not SUPPOSED to handle seeing horrific things well, but people who are in that line of work have to find coping mechanisms. The girl you've been talking to doesn't need protection; she needs to figure out how to cope, and you've helped her as much as you can. Good job. :)

lakotagirl

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks again.

When I first posted I was wondering if there was more I could do. I respect all most of the people here and figured if there was anything I wasn't thinking to do, they would tell me.

Call the sheriff and INSIST that they hold her hand because I wasn't trained for that....

Go sit with her...

Go raid hubby's beer fridge....

You all validated me. I appreciate that. I have done/am doing everything I need to do. I'm fine now - and I know she is too.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I'm coming late to this, but just wanted to add my two cents- You were a good friend and did what you had too- but this woman knew what the job was all about presumably before she took it- right?
Yes, not an easy thing to do and the first time is always the hardest- but thanks to you and your guiding her through it, maybe she will be there for someone new a few years down the road- you did good and so did she. We are all stronger than we think we could be when we have too be.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all.

Every other search we've done, I've appointed someone to "man the phones". I'm usually the first one there and organize hasty searches and have the staging area set up for the team. This week I wanted to finish my project so took the lazy way out.

I wish I hadn't. I wish I'd been there and could have held her after the find. I'm not stupid. I was 99% sure what they would find.
It seems from you later post you're okay all that now, but I just wanted to comment on this:
I sit here and wonder why the hell she wants to talk to the very person who sent her into something that she wasn't prepared for.
I'm sure her reasons for talking to you had nothing to do with you sending her into it (she knew all this needed to be done, someone needs to do the phones, others need to be out in the field), but everything to do with knowing that you'd been through it and knew what it was like, cared about her, that if she had any problems she could call you and lean on you. And that's exactly what she did. Congratulations, you prepared her for everything, including what to do when she fell apart.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to add my 2 cents: You did what you could, and you were there for her, but I hope you don't feel any embarrassment or anything about posting here--we're here for you. And so on down the line.