Choosing a Playstation

Status
Not open for further replies.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I've been thinking about buying a gaming console. I'm still making up my mind, but I've been looking into different options, and I was wondering if I could get some thoughts. Right now, I'm mainly torn between getting a Playstation 3 or a Playstation 2. Waiting for the PS4 isn't something I'm really interested in. I'm fine with what's available now, and I usually use my electronics for a while before I upgrade. There are some pros and cons for each that I'm trying to weigh out.

1. Get a PS3

Pros:

* I'd be able to play some more recent games that I'm interested in.
* I expect games for it to be available for a while, even with the PS4 coming out.
* I like that you can use it as a Blu-Ray Player.

Cons:

* I may not be able to play many older games that were developed for the PS2.
* It's a little pricey.
* Aside from the Blu-Ray player, I'm not really interested in any of the other media capabilities. If I want to stream Netflix on my TV, I can use my Wii.

2. Get a PS2

Pros:

* There seem to be a lot of games that were made for the PS2 that I'd like to play. The older Silent Hill games, for example.
* It's less expensive.

Cons:

* It may be harder to find games for it, and I'd have to get them used (not the end of the world, but maybe not ideal).
* As far as I can tell, I wouldn't be able to use it as a Blu-Ray player.
* I wouldn't be able to play more recent games.

I was hoping some people who are more familiar with the consoles could give me some input about what might be the better choice.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
The PS2 was my all-time favourite console, but I'd get the PS3. It's an excellent blu-ray player, and there are some great games out there, including many conversions of the best PS2 games (with some notable exceptions, but you can't have everything).

Get the cheapest model of PS3, the one with only 12GB of memory and a cheap hard drive, and immediately upgrade it. It's really easy to do and is the most cost-effective way to get a decent-sized PS3.

BlueMach5

Registered
Reaction score
Defiantly Ps3. There is some amazing games, and you can purchase quite a few classic games from the PS store. Plus it plays blu-ray, has netflix, etc. free online to that is for the most part everything you need. My favorite games of all time were PS3 exclusives.

Kill zone 2/3

Uncharted 1/2/3

Metal gear solid 4

Little Big Planet 1/2

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
That's really helpful! Thanks! I didn't realize that there were that many games with backward compatibility.

Whoa, whoa... only the first generation of PS3s were backward compatible with PS2 discs. The current generation of PS3s will not play PS2 discs. So unless you get an old second-hand one - and why would you, because they're bigger, heavier, noisier, less reliable, and use more electricity - you are not going to be able to play PS2 discs.

Now, there are plenty of PS2 games available to buy through the online PS store, but that is a small chunk of the list there.

You should still get a PS3, though.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
* Aside from the Blu-Ray player, I'm not really interested in any of the other media capabilities. If I want to stream Netflix on my TV, I can use my Wii.

My parents had trouble streaming through the Wii. It wasn't their connection, as I took my PS3 when I looked after the cat for a few days, and that worked fine (and got me into trouble, because they have limited Internet :tongue)

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Wait a few weeks to get the PS3, though. After E3 next week, prices are expected to plummet with the unveiling of the PS4. Plus, there's no need to spend more money than necessary.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
Now, there are plenty of PS2 games available to buy through the online PS store, but that is a small chunk of the list there.

And it's not just the PS store. There are also a number of games that have been remastered and rereleased for the PS3 on disk, including the original Silent Hill games, as mentioned by the OP. :) There are definitely plenty of ways other than getting a backwards compatible PS3 to play a number of the PS2 games. Not all, but still. I'd definitely get the PS3. If they help:

Remasters

Downloadables

kyocrisis

Einherjar
Registered
Reaction score
What? Is this a question??

No one should be getting a ps2 this late in the game, for any reason.

If you have to choose, get a ps3. I would wait for a ps4 at this point, but since you already think the ps3 is pricey the next gen is probably not on your mind.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
And it's not just the PS store. There are also a number of games that have been remastered and rereleased for the PS3 on disk, including the original Silent Hill games, as mentioned by the OP. :) There are definitely plenty of ways other than getting a backwards compatible PS3 to play a number of the PS2 games. Not all, but still. I'd definitely get the PS3. If they help:

Remasters

Downloadables

I mentioned the conversions in my first post :)

Wishing they'd do a Legacy of Kain set, but I feel this is a forlorn hope...

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to go against the grain and say a PS2. Quite simply, you can get most PS2 games in good condition for only like twenty dollars on Amazon and the system itself will be a lot cheaper, not to mention it also plays PS1 games. That's a gigantic library of good games that'll cost less most of the time (assuming you're buying used but even for new it'll be less than the forty to sixty of PS3 games for the most part).

By the way, you might want to check that Silent Hill HD collection before using that as a reason to get a PS3. From everything that I've seen, it's pretty glitchy and has framerate issues. http://silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Silent_Hill_HD_Collection#Technical_issues

DancingMaenid

Registered
Reaction score
Whoa, whoa... only the first generation of PS3s were backward compatible with PS2 discs. The current generation of PS3s will not play PS2 discs. So unless you get an old second-hand one - and why would you, because they're bigger, heavier, noisier, less reliable, and use more electricity - you are not going to be able to play PS2 discs.

I'm not surprised, really. It's a shame that backwards compatibility isn't stronger than it is.

Wait a few weeks to get the PS3, though. After E3 next week, prices are expected to plummet with the unveiling of the PS4. Plus, there's no need to spend more money than necessary.

I've been thinking prices might go down. Thanks for the tip.

I'm going to go against the grain and say a PS2. Quite simply, you can get most PS2 games in good condition for only like twenty dollars on Amazon and the system itself will be a lot cheaper, not to mention it also plays PS1 games. That's a gigantic library of good games that'll cost less most of the time (assuming you're buying used but even for new it'll be less than the forty to sixty of PS3 games for the most part).

By the way, you might want to check that Silent Hill HD collection before using that as a reason to get a PS3. From everything that I've seen, it's pretty glitchy and has framerate issues. http://silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Silent_Hill_HD_Collection#Technical_issues

I've read about the technical complaints about the Silent Hill HD Collection and yeah, that does concern me. Thanks for the link. I hadn't seen a detailed overview of exactly what people are/were experiencing with it.

Yeah, the stuff you bring up are all reasons why I've been tempted by the PS2 and haven't wanted to jump into a decision. I think I'm leaning more toward the PS3 at this point, but I have time to mull it over.

JDarvinWords

sex/rage through song/dance
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to have to agree with Shadow on this one. I was reading all these replies and I was quite surprised to see so many people saying PS3 instead of PS2. Listen, I know it's late. But OP started this thread with, "I'm thinking about getting a game console" and "I'm not interested in PS4." To me it seems like (and I could be wrong) that OP isn't quite as hardcore of a gamer as some others might be. Therefore, they probably just want to have a really good time.

The Playstation 2 has one of the best game libraries I've ever seen in my life. There are hundreds of amazing titles on the console that aren't backwards compatible on the newer generation PS3 models, and you can pick them up for cheap. I'm talking like 2 to 5 dollars cheap. Especially if you find a bin of games without the cases. Places like Gamestop, Pawn Shops, or thrift stores will usually have those old school hits you're looking for. If not, there's always the internet.

Plus, you said you have a Wii. Right? The Wii is my 2nd favorite console of all time (right behind PS2) and you can get some incredible games on it as well. I totally understand where all the PS3 people are coming from...but I just can't agree. Especially if you're looking to spend the least amount of money. Oh, and if you want streaming just get a Roku. The cheapest one is like 40 bucks.

DancingMaenid

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to have to agree with Shadow on this one. I was reading all these replies and I was quite surprised to see so many people saying PS3 instead of PS2. Listen, I know it's late. But OP started this thread with, "I'm thinking about getting a game console" and "I'm not interested in PS4." To me it seems like (and I could be wrong) that OP isn't quite as hardcore of a gamer as some others might be. Therefore, they probably just want to have a really good time.

Yeah, I'm not a really serious gamer. I'm interested in getting a more traditional console since, while I do like the Wii a lot, I'm not always in the mood for the motion controls and some games I'm interested in aren't available for it. And I'd never had a console before the Wii.

Also, I can be a little picky about games, and there are some specific ones that I'm interested in. That's a big part of why I'm interested in the PS2, and it's also a big part of why I don't want to go ahead and get a PS4. That said, there are some PS3-only games that I'm interested in.

cryaegm

Snakecakes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
enigmainklings.blogspot.com
The PS2 isn't really being produced/sold anymore except via the internet. If you can find one for cheap, go for it. There are a lot of great games on the PS2, and you can't play them on the PS3. You can play PS games on the PS2 and some on the PS3, depending on the games that is. You'll need to get a memory card for the PS2 and PS games, though it shouldn't be hard to find them. If you get an older model of the PS3 (I think one of the launch ones?) you can play PS2 games on there, so keep that in mind, too.

I say go with what you want. You can get a PS2 for now and when the PS3 goes down in price, you can go ahead and get that. Both are great consoles and I own both, and still play both. :)

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I have both the PS2 and the PS3. Out of both consoles, I hugely prefer the PS2.

Here's a usage comparison:

- The PS2 is smaller, and loading times are better. On the PS3, I have to either install the game or deal with disk loading times. Often installing is mandatory (so you need to upgrade, unless you're as lazy as me). I find the the PS2 is also more silent when it reads the disk. Generally, I just find the PS2 more convenient. [It's not a big deal, though. I have the 12GB model mentioned by Onesecondglance, and it's running smoothly. No complaints.]

- I hate the trophy system, and I haven't yet found a way to delete or disable trophies. I don't ever want to connect to the internet, and I find the PSN stuff in the interface annoying. Games often "check for downloadable content" etc. It's a trifle annoying. [Again not a big deal; I ignore it in the knowledge that others enjoy the features, and I'm grateful I don't have to use them to play the game.]

- The PS2 won't play blurays; if that's a feature you want, go with the PS3. It's a neat feature. (Though I have yet to buy a bluray; one never knows.)

- The PS2 has more games that are just... fun. The PS3 is a lot more "westernised" (or that's what it feels like). I prefer neat interfaces and cartoony graphics. Many PS3 games are just too... flashy for my taste. Most of the games I find fun on the PS3 are low-budget titles. My favourite game on the PS3 is Tales of Graces f, but a less elaborate version (without the f) is available for the Wii. I've always hated the endless upgrade mentality in gaming, and I felt the PS3 suffers from it quite a bit. All in all, the games I enjoy playing the most don't really use the hardware capabilities of the console.

- I really like the wireless controllers of the PS3. They work like a charm, and not having to deal with the cables is great. You don't have to charge them all too often, either.

Basically, the PS2 is a no-nonsense gaming system. You pop in the disc and play the game. Also the games are more to my taste. If I didn't have any of the systems, I'd go for the PS2 without a second thought (and hunt for second hand titles). Just be aware that the console has no future at all, and if a game you really want to play comes out for the PS3 in the near future, you're really going to feel your decision. [Whereas there often is a way to play older games on the PS3, even without backwards compatibility: PSN, remakes....]

[Oh, the PS3 has one more advantage: The MegaDrive Collection for the PS3 has more games I want on it (notably the Shining Force series, and Dr. Robotnic's Mean Bean Factory). Tee Hee.]

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
I've had both consoles, for several years. I just gave my PS2 away. Couldn't stand playing it anymore, because the graphics seemed terrible and the games seemed so corny. Plus, my favorite kind of game to play is a huge, graphically-rich open world type of game. Like Skyrim, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, or Red Dead Redemption.

DancingMaenid

Registered
Reaction score
I've had both consoles, for several years. I just gave my PS2 away. Couldn't stand playing it anymore, because the graphics seemed terrible and the games seemed so corny. Plus, my favorite kind of game to play is a huge, graphically-rich open world type of game. Like Skyrim, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, or Red Dead Redemption.

I think I feel similarly. I can enjoy games that have less sophisticated graphics, but graphics do play a role in my enjoyment and the atmosphere of a game to me. Because of that, I feel like I like the idea of some earlier games more than the reality.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
The PS2 graphics were fine, in my opinion. Not as beautiful as PS3 obviously, but still more than good enough to see whatever everything is and for them to look good.

Mamba

Riddle Master
Registered
Reaction score
I think I feel similarly. I can enjoy games that have less sophisticated graphics, but graphics do play a role in my enjoyment and the atmosphere of a game to me. Because of that, I feel like I like the idea of some earlier games more than the reality.

Reading through this thread, I was about to heartily recommend a PS2 to you until you posted this comment.

I am the biggest PS2 fan there is. I have 156 games for that thing, and have two consoles stored away just in case the one I'm using breaks.

That said, if graphics actually matter to you, I'd go PS3. They don't matter to me at all, but this isn't about me. I personally find this generation severely lacking in competent software (outside of indie devs) compared to last generation, but if you think you'd enjoy something like Assassin's Creed or Skyrim over something like Jak & Daxter or Grand Theft Auto III, then you should by all means buy a PS3.

kyocrisis

Einherjar
Registered
Reaction score
Well there is a great amount of PS2 games that you can buy and play on your PS3, often for quite cheap. PS1 as well.

You also have to consider that in general, AI, graphics, and size of the game are all going to be lesser on the PS2 compared to the PS3.

There's also a huge amount of fun indie games on the PS3 if you are looking for cheap, fun games that are not overly complicated. These wouldnt be available on PS2. Furthermore, several of the high profile PS2 games have been remade for PS3, including God of War 1 & 2, MGS, Ico/Shadow of the Colossus.

Another thing to consider: Playstation Plus. $17.99 for 3 months, or $50 for 1 year will give you access to a ton of free games, well worth the money.

DancingMaenid

Registered
Reaction score
Reading through this thread, I was about to heartily recommend a PS2 to you until you posted this comment.

I am the biggest PS2 fan there is. I have 156 games for that thing, and have two consoles stored away just in case the one I'm using breaks.

That said, if graphics actually matter to you, I'd go PS3. They don't matter to me at all, but this isn't about me. I personally find this generation severely lacking in competent software (outside of indie devs) compared to last generation, but if you think you'd enjoy something like Assassin's Creed or Skyrim over something like Jak & Daxter or Grand Theft Auto III, then you should by all means buy a PS3.

It's not really that simple for me, which is why I'm weighing it out before buying.

Graphics do matter to me, but at the same time, a lot of popular modern games don't appeal to me that much in terms of story and game play. But the opposite is true of a lot of older games--I love the story and game play, but the older graphics and AI can be underwhelming and damage the sense of atmosphere for me sometimes.

I think I'd be happy with either a PS2 or a PS3, but for different reasons. Which is why it's been a tough decision.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Final Fantas X - PS2/PS3 comparison

I fully recognise that the PS3 version looks better (just look at the light effects on Lulu's chain, or at the flower in the background). But the textute, in my experience, when the whole thing moves is sort of harder on the eye. It creates a background flicker that, maybe, I'm more susceptible to than others. You can see it best if you look at the stairs: the PS2 version is smoother: I run less risk of headaches, if I play too long.

Also, there's a tendency to use newer and prestige techniques that show off a console's capability. For example, with Tecmo/Koei taking over, Atelier Ayesha went from sprites (in the earlier Atelier games) to 3D models for conversations. The experts in the gaming press all agree they did a good job; it's the first game in the series that takes advantage of the consoles capabilities. I don't see how it looks that much better, and dearly miss the sprites.

I think similarly about Super Streetfighter 4 on the PS3 (vs., say, the Capcom vs. SNK game on the PS2).

It's ultimately not a hardware issue: it's about design. But, in my experience, the enhanced graphics of the PS3 rarely add to the game experience. Look at the comparison in the link above, and see what you like better.

Status
Not open for further replies.