New gay/lesbian fantasy writer

gsgayle

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just discovered this community. I'm here looking to meet some fellow writers as I get more deeply into the craft.

I have adored writing since I was 8 years old, and have always dreamed of writing novels. I finally decided to sit down and focus on it this fall, setting a goal of 1000 words a day. On New Year's Eve, I finished my first book! It's a 73k fantasy novel with multi-character viewpoints. My work is heavy on gay content, mostly gay male characters but with with a mix of all sexualities, and some gender-bending elements.

I recently discovered Ellen Kushner, a fellow lesbian writer of gay male fiction. I am currently enjoying Swordpoint, an excellent novel!

By the time I finished my first novel, the sequel was already forming in my mind, and I started it the next day. I'm about 50,000 words into it now and progressing nicely.

Now that I am finally writing consistantly, I have a strong desire to learn more of the craft, to discuss its elements with fellow writers and to further hone my own voice. Ultimately it would be wonderful to find some writing buddies with whom I can exchange feedback and ideas on our current works.

I look forward to exploring this board more!

Cheers,
GS Gayle

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
Hi from a fellow writer who focuses on gay and lesbian themes! I write Fantasy, Scifi, and Horror. My characters tend to be female and have lesbian relationships. I myself am a lesbian and enjoy answering the question of what life would be like for lgbt characters in such settings.

Welcome to the forum!

Shaba

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! Multi POV is challenging, but when it's done well, heaven. Which age group do write? And if you need any advice on craft books, I can recommend a few.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. Have you read Lynn Flewelling? She does fantasy with gay characters, and a lot of people like it.

Jinxy

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! Congratulations on finishing your first novel, and good luck with the sequel!

byron100

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new as well, so I'll just say my introduction here. :)

I've been interested in writing since I was a teen, but I haven't really taken it seriously until recently. Since I don't have a 9-5 job, I'm free to write full-time - since last fall, I've written a first draft of a science fiction novel and am currently working on a post-apocalytic novel (75% of 1st draft complete.) I hope to publish on Amazon ebooks as early as this summer, so I hope I will be able to learn the ins and out of how to edit and polish novels on this great forum, as well as meeting and chatting with other writers. :)

Although my current works in progress do not have a gay / lesbian theme, that is something I have planned for the future. :D

Shaba

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Happily and Bryon, and Amergina, I love the picture. Not a Brony yet, may never end up being one, but the show is great.

CoraKane

Wood Screws
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corakane.com
Hello everyone,

On New Year's Eve, I finished my first book! It's a 73k fantasy novel with multi-character viewpoints.

I tend to write with multi character viewpoints as well and have chapters that switch from the viewpoints of one character to another. I find it really challenging because of the different personalities that all my characters have. When you write from the different view points, is it third person limited for that sole character that you're focusing on at the moment or is it third person omniscient? Do you do individual chapters for each of the characters viewpoint or do you switch characters in a chapter? Just curious.

Shaba

Registered
Reaction score
I tend to write with multi character viewpoints as well and have chapters that switch from the viewpoints of one character to another. I find it really challenging because of the different personalities that all my characters have. When you write from the different view points, is it third person limited for that sole character that you're focusing on at the moment or is it third person omniscient? Do you do individual chapters for each of the characters viewpoint or do you switch characters in a chapter? Just curious.

Well which do you do?

Shaba

Registered
Reaction score
Well, that's the way to do it. You can do it the other way (omni), which was very popular a long time ago, but isn't so much today.

gsgayle

Registered
Reaction score

In my current novel I'm doing third-person from a sole character, switching characters every chapter. I have fun with it because all the knowledge is from that character's point of view, so sometimes that character believes something we know to be wrong based on another character's knowledge. I try to overlap them enough so we get to know all the characters well. I find it works well for me to emerge myself in one character's personality for the chapter.

The main challenge I find with that style is deciding which character to go to in teh next chapter, and to make sure I'm keeping consistance with who knows what.