A Life of Crime and Chocolate

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
mmm...that chocolate cake looks good to me. It's 9am on Tuesday - first day back at work after a long bank holiday weekend and already I want cake. Is this a bad thing?

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Shara wanting cake is not a bad thing. Especially if it is chocolate cake.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shakesbear is absolutely right. In fact, if Shara said she didn't want cake, we'd all be backing slowly out of the thread, wouldn't we? :D

Oh Gail, good to connect with you! And there I was, thinking that nobody would know anything about my little African leprechaun, or tokolosh.

When I was growing up in Zimbabwe and Mozambique, everyone talked about tokoloshes as if they were just samanga monkeys or chameleons and I was 15 before I realised they didn't 'exist' on the same plane of reality as the rest of us.

A couple of years ago, I was at a dinner party in the Welsh marches, close to where the Elizabethan magician Dr John Dee lived and the guests were talking about his 'familiars', a cat named Greymalkin (what else?) and a black crow. I wondered what would happen if someone brought along a tokolosh to a gathering of British amateur magicians.

So far I have three wonderful scenes and then it all goes down the kitchen sink -- but let me persist.

Good finding you here.

Marya, please persist. I think the tokolosh needs to be preserved as a vital part of African heritage.

Inspiration will come...uh...you do have your bed up on bricks, don't you? :)ROFL:)

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
That's so. freaking. cool.

Nice idea, Zelenka. Best wishes on making it all work. It definitely sounds like a hard story to write.

It's a bloomin' awful story to write, but the research is fun. Just realised there's a load of stuff for background details that needs to be worked out, like new technology that might've cropped up etc, and character-wise it's really hard because I need to work out what sort of periods these folks lived through etc. It's a good excuse to watch loads of documentaries about the moon though. ;)

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Namatu. That cake has been boxed, bubble-wrapped and airmailed to you. You don't even have to share. Plenty more where that came from. :D (And I've got Susie to back me up on that.)
Thank you. I look forward to eating it! :D

This tokolosh story sounds cool. Keep at it, Marya!

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
There's cookie talk going on at the '500 words a day' thread. And cake talk here.

But which is better? Cake or cookies?

That will keep me thinking for the rest of the day.

Now I'm hungry...

Shara

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Cake or Cookies? Cookies or Cakes?

I am also hungry . . .

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm.... I'm making dinner for my laid-up pastor. Maybe I should add in some chocolate chip cookies. Because he really likes them, is why. Not so that I could hide some for me. Not at all...

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
Both.

And let's not neglect pie.

This is wise advice.

So tell me, who came up with the notion that we have to finish our mains before we can have dessert?

If I ran the world, everyone would be allowed to eat dessert first. If you had room for the mains, then that would come next.

And nobody would have to eat any vegetables. I am 42. I still hate vegetables... :tongue

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Also sage, Shara. :)

I do love veggies, though...

Made the chocolate chip cookies. Everyone loves me. The world is happy. Fatter, but happy. :)

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
heyjude, there is a theory that the best way to feel thinner is to fatten up everyone around you. Sounds like your cookies are going the right way!

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
I have a new hobby. I wrote the first three, or possibly two pages on the new WIP and saved it... somewhere on my computer. My new hobby is looking for it.

Here's where it isn't - in the file for the new WIP, where the research, the storyboard, all that stuff is. Not there.

Not in the file with the mss (it's research etc) that I'm getting ready to query.

Not in the file with the romance book I work on from time to time and never finish.

I know I wrote those pages, I used Dragon and I remmber thinking it was easier to speak the story as it came than to read from handwritten pages.

Poof.

Maybe I'll just write those pages again. Or maybe I'll make cookies.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Oh no! :Hug2: Can you do a global search for keywords on your computer? Does your computer have known goblins?

::shares cookies with Stlight::

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
So tell me, who came up with the notion that we have to finish our mains before we can have dessert?
Whaat? I've never heard of this.

And nobody would have to eat any vegetables. I am 42. I still hate vegetables... :tongue
I will eat your vegetables. But not pickles. Suspicious green color, pickles.

Stlight! It's got to be there somewhere, right? It must! Maybe if you have some pie, its location will suddenly come to you.

Nightingale

Registered
Reaction score
Tollhouse cookies are on the agenda for tomorrow, my children are thrilled! I think I'll just scoop them right off the cookie sheet and rub them on my butt, that's where they're going anyway!! Do you ever get off the phone or finish a conversation with someone and feel that your I.Q. has dropped at least 15 points? That was my day today. Hopefully, I'll have chocolate running out of my ears tomorrow instead of brain matter. :crazy:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good grief, the words are rubbish today :( And they're coming so slowwwwly - it's like pulling teeth! :Headbang:

Marya

In search of distractions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
africanalchemy.wordpress.com
Sympathetic hug, mccardey.

Zucchini bread and tollhouse cookies sound just what I want to eat today. Sadly I can't bake to save my life.

GailD -- yes, bed up on bricks and tokolosh kept at bay, except in a fictional sense.

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
I am having a very bad day at the EDJ (Evil Day Job, for those not in the know).

I come to this thread in search of chocolate.

Any of those tollhouse cookies left, Nightingale? I LOVE tollhouse cookies...

Have a recipe at home somewhere, from my mother. I just never get time to bake these days.

Shara

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good grief, the words are rubbish today :( And they're coming so slowwwwly - it's like pulling teeth! :Headbang:

Weighed down by birthday cake? Maybe it's nature's way of telling you to party some more. :)

BTW: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

:partyguy:

I'm not sure if it was yesterday or today - but best wishes anyway. :)