Return of a Man Named PAMB and its Quotes

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Makes one think that maybe we should have a day of remembrance for all the writers whose work and dreams were destroyed or greatly delayed by scammers.

Richard Falk

Author of "Warp"
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like the PAMB's resident spammers have some competition, judging by this thread, which is nothing more than a cut-and-pasted press release (that has nothing whatever to do with writing):

http://bb.publishamerica.com/viewtopic.php?t=33157&sid=c4eec801af5b0e7757c7249bf2b9c35e

I particularly liked the reference to "creating a one-of-a-kind, wooden tree". I thought all trees were wood, and they grew rather than being created?

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
I particularly liked the reference to "creating a one-of-a-kind, wooden tree". I thought all trees were wood, and they grew rather than being created?

The gentleman is a very talented wood carver and I expect the one-of-kind Christmas tree he has created is just beautiful. I'd love to see a picture of it.

Just a gentle reminder that this PA author is not the problem nor the reason we have a forum dedicated to PA. The company he chose to publish with is the problem and you need to remember to focus on it rather than on its authors, who are our fellow writers.

~brianm~

Richard Falk

Author of "Warp"
Registered
Reaction score
Yes indeed, we're not here to mock the writers concerned (except, I suppose, when egos get completely out of hand or they're particularly unpleasant to their compatriots). I did wonder what the said posting had to do with the business of writing or publishing, though.

Edited to add: the gentleman's carvings are indeed spectacular. As someone who is all fingers and thumbs, I would love to have a talent like that.

Last edited:

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I feel so sorry for the author. She thought PA was a commercial publisher and her book would be placed on the shelves of stores. Sadly, it's a PA book, as she's finding out. And at 29.95 for 326 pages, even if it were on the shelf, it would never sell.

Non-refundable

I just came from my local B&N store and I finally found out why my book - <title snipped> - is not on the shelf. It's because it's non-refunable.
I can't is the non-refunable part. There is a clause in my contract that states if any books are returned that I wouldn't get royalities on them. That tells me the book should be returnable.

So, why isn't my book on the shelf?

I have e-mailed support and asked so am waiting on the reply. I just sent the e-mail so it might be a while before I hear back. I'm just frustrated with the thought that what I worked so hard for might never be realized.

Don't get me wrong, I'm so happy to have my book published and available online, but I have always dreamed of walking into a bookstore and seeing it there on the shelf - so have my friends. I have one friend that told me she is waiting to be able to buy it from the store by picking it up off the shelf and walking to the counter, watching them scan the book and put it in one of their store bags. Have to admit, I like the idea of her being able to do that.

My fear is that I will never see that dream fullfilled. Even if the return policy was changed, what about the Print on Demand? Barnes and Noble told me they won't pre-pay for any books to be on their shelves.

Seems there is always something to get in the way of a dream, isn't there.

Sorry, don't mean to seem ungrateful, just really disappointed right now.

Richard Falk

Author of "Warp"
Registered
Reaction score
I just came from my local B&N store and I finally found out why my book - <title snipped> - is not on the shelf. It's because it's non-refunable.

It's also because it says PublishAmerica on the spine. Even if it were returnable — like some books on, say, AuthorHouse, if their authors are willing to pay handsomely for the privilege — bookshops are smart enough to know that vanity publications rarely sell.

I have one friend that told me she is waiting to be able to buy it from the store by picking it up off the shelf and walking to the counter, watching them scan the book and put it in one of their store bags. Have to admit, I like the idea of her being able to do that.

My fear is that I will never see that dream fullfilled. Even if the return policy was changed, what about the Print on Demand?

The real pity is that this drawback to the POD model didn't strike her before she signed the contract.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A PA author gets the copies of his book that he ordered and paid for.....eventually.
Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:20 pm
My order from June came in! Just wanted to thank everyone for their comments, it makes it easier when someone is along for the ups and downs of the ride!
Where are the "ups" in your books taking five months to be shipped?

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
I feel so sorry for the author. She thought PA was a commercial publisher and her book would be placed on the shelves of stores. Sadly, it's a PA book, as she's finding out. And at 29.95 for 326 pages, even if it were on the shelf, it would never sell.

Non-refundable

And another surprise for the same new author:
I just checked my book and borders and under Publishing Details it has...Publisher: Textstream... Who is Textstream? Is that another wholesaler or another name for PA?

Here's the link...
http://www.borders.com/online/store/TitleDetail?sku=1451255292

Please let me know what you think.

I have a feeling she'll have a lot more questions. . .

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
. . . The real pity is that this drawback to the POD model didn't strike her before she signed the contract.
The POD model has its place, even with its limitations. But PA has taken it to a darker place through its shoddy performance, extortionate pricing, convoluted, exploitive come-ons to authors, and disgraceful, disrespectful treatment of those authors.

--Men

AlexPiper

Wayward Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Seattle, WA -- land of rain, home of the spice caf
Website
www.fabulaurbanus.com
The real pity is that this drawback to the POD model didn't strike her before she signed the contract.

Isn't that kind of the entire point of PA, though? They try to sell you on the idea that your book /will/ be 'available in bookstores' throughout the nation, just like something from Tor or DAW or any of the other big houses. The issue, of course, is that 'available' is a deliberately misleading phrasing; it implies you can walk into a bookstore and buy the book, not that you'll have to special-order it and pick it up later.

That the limitations of PA's business are only now occurring to her is more a statement on PA's slick sales pitch to hopeful authors than on her own lack of foresight.

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
A PA veteran gives advice to a new author who couldn't get her books into B&N:
Especially with B & N if at all possible, go into the store in person, have a copy of your book with you, and ask for the manager in charge of book signings. Be prepared to leave your book with him/her. The manager a tht estores I signed at read my second novel, loved it and that's what got them interested in letting me come to their store. Nothing works better than self-promotion here.

Do inform them the book is available at Baker and Taylor. Unfortunately, PA is still working on some old bad publicity from outside sources, and some of the in charge don't realize the books are available this way.
*sigh*

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
The author might get his or her book into some local stores if it's good, but those efforts won't get the book stocked on shelves across the country. A PA author in my area got hers on the shelves in the area, and then arranged a signing at a local independent bookstore when it was their week to be highlighted in the paper's best seller list. (The paper picks one local chain or indie store each week and posts their list.) I honestly don't know how she managed it, but her book was number one at that store that week.

I know she worked her tail off on selling books. I looked at the book at a local store, and it looked okay, but (of course) overpriced compared to the other books on the shelf. This was before PA's price increases. I also wonder how many of those books she had to buy herself in order to get them into stores. I can't imagine she made any money for all that hard work.

Oh, and as far as I'm aware, the book didn't get into many stores outside of a 20-mile or so radius from here.

Jill Karg

So many WIPs which one to work on
Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately, PA is still working on some old bad publicity from outside sources,

Because the bad publicity inside their PAMB get's deleted as fast as it gets posted and then the author is black balled from their website. People like this person get me hot under the collar. The arrogance is so annoying. But again rose color glasses are so firmly placed around the eyes that even a welding torch can't remove them.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This poor author is about to get some unpleasant news:
Can anyone tell me how this Amazon/ Warner Bros, and also the Kindle offers work. It doesn't say anything about having to order books. I'm unclear on how you are suppose to activate them. Any help would be appreciated.
PA: the only publisher for whom "activate" is a euphemism for "buy a bunch of your own books so that we can make a lot of money and set up yet another way to con you into buying a bunch of your own books so that we can make a lot of money and set up yet another way to con you into buying a bunch of your own books so that we can make a lot of money and set up yet another way to con you into buying a bunch of your own books so that we can make a lot of money and set up yet another way to con you into buying..."

And she got an answer:
You'll see the price once you click on the order button.

Last edited:

Richard Falk

Author of "Warp"
Registered
Reaction score
Someone is about to incur the wrath of the Infomonster and be sent packing to the cornfield:

welcome new authors! I have been with PA for a year now and I can say that I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!! jk jk jk..... or am i?
I just want to say, be careful and make sure that you have everything in ur books perfect. Cause if they aren't. the "editors" don't give a rats butt and they'll print it as is.
I should know, my book was messed up and they now want me to pay a fee for their mistakes. So, read ur manuscripts over and over again until you know for a fact that there isn't anything wrong with ur book.

Here's the link, but I suspect this will be gone by the time you read this:
http://bb.publishamerica.com/viewtopic.php?t=33173

Richard Falk

Author of "Warp"
Registered
Reaction score
A writer has been experiencing problems activating her book for Amazon Kindle (a paid-for service, needless to say):

I wonder what I am doing wrong. I tried to post my book to go on kindle....there was a one time fee, but when I tried to do that it kept putting the fee in several times.

However, she later concluded that it was her office computer, not PA's payment system, that was to blame.

http://bb.publishamerica.com/viewtopic.php?t=33146&sid=b79dfba4ba3d017f7755b8bc60278e64

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
"SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!"

My book <title> has moved on to production and I DID NOT approval my final proofs. I cannt get in touch of my editor, Denise. I sent the email with my corrections a week and a half ago. I never heard back from her and never saw a final PDF version of my book. My book is now for sale online and it is not in the format that I wanted--some illustrations are on entirely wrong pages. I have emailed Deninse nearly every day for the past week trying to confirm she received my corrections and was working on the file--never got a response. Someone please help me find out what is going on....I really want my book to be in the shape I would like before it is made available to sale...especially since I never okayed the final design!

Sad, but predictable.