What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oblivo

Registered
Reaction score
Finished the third book in the Chaos Walking series today and thought it was brillant. It's still IMHO one of the most underrated trilogies out there.

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I moved on from Liar to Balefire (A Chalice of Wind, A Circle of Ashes, A Feather of Stone, and A Necklace of Water) by Cate Tiernan. Gotta love it when you get an unexpected day off to read, write, and beta.

Senora Verde

Teacher by day, YA writer by night
Registered
Reaction score
Started The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff.

I'm loving it so far. I'm so impressed with how she sets up the world and characters. She subtly weaves in information into the MC's thoughts and actions with such finesse that you don't realize she's telling you something really creepy about the town until you've already accepted it and just KNOW that's how things are.

I'm also very impressed with the pacing so far. I'm 100 pages in and I feel like a lot has already happened and things aren't being hidden from me.

Rebecca_Rogers

Registered
Reaction score
I fell *in love* with The Secret Year.

I...didn't like it as much as I thought I would. :/ It's definitely depressing, but I felt like something was missing the entire time I read it. I still don't know what that *thing* is.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
I finished Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare last night and I have to say I wasn't overly impressed. I loved her "mortal instruments" series, this just didn't grab me like the others.

Starting Awakened by P.C. Cast, and dear god when will the House of Night Series end? I hate things that drag, and drag... Just heard however it won't be this book, there is another one slated to come out in the fall :(

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier. It's an older book published in the 70's, I think. I really disliked the ending. Anyone else out there read it?

PRationality

Where Obsession is Diverse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lastexilewords.blogspot.com
I'm about a third of the way into The Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa, I started Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky but...well let's just say it made me uncomfortable, and I'm hoping to finish Warped by Maurissa Guibord soon.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers. Love it so far. Man, this chick can write!

And is it just me, or do her titles totally rock? Cracked Up To Be, Some Girls Are, Fall For Anything... awesome.

emma_kate

Registered
Reaction score
I liked The Duff, and I understand how it might happen for some people, but I tried putting myself in Bianca's shoes and imagine myself feeling attraction for a guy who had insulted me like that and kept doing it. Yes, she said that he was hot, but she also said that he made her skin crawl. I don't know, it was just very strange to me to think of those initial moments happening. I'm not saying that it couldn't happen, just that for some people it's hard to imagine because they can't see themselves ever doing it. But again, I still liked the book.

Oh yes, I agree with this, too :D LOL. I can definitely see it happening, but don't think I would be in that situation...never ever ever hahahahaah :D

Georgina

Sushi at midnight
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier. It's an older book published in the 70's, I think. I really disliked the ending. Anyone else out there read it?

I read it when I was twelve or so and found it really disturbing, but not in a good, thoughtful way. With the benefit of adult hindsight, I feel Cormier undercut what he was trying to say by pushing the story to such an extreme place.

Cheers.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
I read it when I was twelve or so and found it really disturbing, but not in a good, thoughtful way. With the benefit of adult hindsight, I feel Cormier undercut what he was trying to say by pushing the story to such an extreme place.

Cheers.

Maybe I love my happy endings too much. :(

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I love The Chocolate War. I was an older teen when I first read it (college-aged), and re-read it a couple years ago (in my mid-twenties), and still loved it.

At first, I disliked the ending, but as I threw the book across the room sat the book the down, and really started to think about it, I think it was the perfect ending for that particular book.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Finished THE MINISTRY OF PANDEMONIUM by Chris Westwood and I have to say that although it's going to be marketed to teens, I really thought it was more for an MG audience. It's an interesting read - I liked the idea of a boy helping ghosts into the afterlife and there are plenty of dark moments - but the book is a bit slow and has a strangely episodic feel to it. There's a set up for a sequel though, which I would definitely want to check out.

Am now about to start an ARC for TWILIGHT ROBBERY by Frances Hardinge, which is a sequel to her award winning debut novel FLY BY NIGHT.

MM

Senora Verde

Teacher by day, YA writer by night
Registered
Reaction score
Am now about to start an ARC for TWILIGHT ROBBERY by Frances Hardinge, which is a sequel to her award winning debut novel FLY BY NIGHT.

I LOVED Fly By Night. So glad to hear there's a sequel!

inkspatters

The coordinates keep changing...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with Smish. Really enjoyed The Chocolate War, when I read it last year. The ending did annoy me a bit initially, though.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Senora Verde
I LOVED Fly By Night. So glad to hear there's a sequel!

I didn't actually know about the first book when I got the ARC, but now I'm reading the sequel I want to go back and read the first one. I love Hardinge's writing - her imagination is incredible and she's got such a beautiful way with words, combining vivid descriptions with a dry sense of humour.

TWILIGHT ROBBERY's out in the UK on 4th March, but I don't know when/if it's coming out worldwide.

MM

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I read Frances Hardinge's Gullstruck Island (retitled The Lost Conspiracy in the US) and liked it a lot. I want to read her other novels too.

I've just finished Jenny Valentine's fourth novel The Double Life of Cassiel Roadnight. For all the humour - in the narrator's voice - in her first novel Finding Violet Park (which won the Guardian Fiction Prize) there was darkness there, and it's also there in her subsequent novels Broken Soup and The Ant Colony. It's even more so in this one, which becomes a fully-fledged crime novel, influenced by Josephine Tey's 1949 novel Brat Farrar - as Valentine acknowledges in her author note. Each one of her novels is structured around a mystery that needs to be solved.

A boy in care is identified as the missing teenager Cassiel Roadnight (he looks just like him) and, out of a sense of wanting to belong, goes along with this even though he knows he isn't him. Cassiel's family accept him, although they're clearly hurt by his disappearance for two years without explanation. But "Cassiel" is afraid of what would happen if they find out, or if the real Cassiel turns up? As "Cassiel" finds out about his past, he realises he is in danger.

Needless to say, this is less light-hearted than Valentine's earlier novels, but her strengths are evident too. She's very good at family/sibling relationships, in this case particularly dysfunctional ones, and her dialogue always rings true.

(I haven't read Valentine's books for younger readers, Iggy and Me and its sequels. I have read Ten Stations, which was a short story for World Book Day, featuring some of the characters from Finding Violet Park - it's pleasant but nothing special.)

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with Smish. Really enjoyed The Chocolate War, when I read it last year. The ending did annoy me a bit initially, though.

Maybe it'll grow on me. It did give me some interesting ideas for my next WIP.

Callista Melaney

Registered
Reaction score
I finished Across the Universe by Beth Revis, and IT WAS AWESOME.

Now reading The Time Traveler's Wife for the gillionth time, only because I haven't had time to pick up another book to read.

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
I've just finished reading JUMPER by Steven Gould (brilliant book - sooo much better than the film), and am waiting anxiously for the sequel, REFLEX, to arrive from Amazon in the post!

for a bit of light reading between the two, I'm halfway through SHIRAZ: THE FAME DIARIES which is number 5 i think in the DIARY OF A CHAV series by the hilarious Grace Dent - the only books which make me laugh out loud ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.