What is the difference between members and guests?

rick_scott79

Registered
Reaction score
It says "170 members and 1018 guests"

What's the difference?
Am I a member or a guest?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you are registered and logged on, you are a member.

People can view most of the forum without logging on, although they won't have the same functionality.

Deleted member 42

Guests in the context of the forum Home screen footer means non-logged in users.

The 'net as a whole this week is under massive DOS attacks, many of them generated by would-be spam bots.

We're dealing with three times (or more) the normal attempted registrations this week. Many of those "guests" are bots running scripts.

I've isolated 29 separate scripts running on thousands of infected zombie computers since 9 am Pacific this morning, attempting to register on AW.

It's gonna be a fun weekend . . .

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
The 'net as a whole this week is under massive DOS attacks, many of them generated by would-be spam bots.
Just out of curiosity, what is a DOS attack? The only "DOS" I'm familiar with is The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug.;)

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
Just out of curiosity, what is a DOS attack? The only "DOS" I'm familiar with is The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug.;)

Denial of Service. Basically, if I understand the principle right, you get a bunch of scripts to attack a certain site, so much that you bog it down so actual users can't use it.

I'm sure you can do it manually, too. "Hey, Bob, me and 13 million other friends are going to start constantly refreshing the DMV site at 3:00, wanna come along?"

Last edited:

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Oh. Well, that sounds annoying to say the least! Thanks for explaining it.:)

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
Not a techie. I thought she meant the DOS operating system I grew up with. I was thrilled when 28.8 modems came out. When 56 hit, I was in paradise.

Shaba

Registered
Reaction score
These DOS jerks are at it again. Why can't people be happy with just being nice?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Booker

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Scott welcome to AW. I think you are a member and a newbie and a guest