The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveKuzminski

PA Book Prices

Gee, how come Author Support hasn't come out to defend the price at those stores? Aren't they the ones who claim that PA books will sell at higher prices because they're worth it?

alphabeter

Re: Oh Boy

Deejay
I didn't mean to imply that they should run away, in fact, they should run to them in gratitude.
However, a PR company runs by (former?) PAvidians is suspect on quite a few levels.
I wish them all luck. After any dealing with PA, one certainly needs it! :clover

Alpha

vstrauss

Did anyone else get an e-mail directing them to this site?

payn.freelinuxhost.com/

Dunno who's behind it, but I think they might have some copyright issues in re-posting verbatim a section of the PA website.

- Victoria

DaveKuzminski

Infringement?

Yes, I received it, too.

As to copyright infringement, there is considerable latitude given to instances where the purpose if for educational purposes which that site appears to be attempting to do. I certainly do not have any problem with what they have quoted from P&E as I do perceive it to be for educational purposes.

James D Macdonald

Re: Oh, Lord...

HB and his chums are welcome here at any time. I'll be happy to address his misconceptions. I'm all about education.
<HR>
Update:

Now that I've read the thread, I think that HB only wants the board there opened to PA authors who've been banned.

As always, it's hard to figure out exactly what HB is going on about.

priceless1

Whoopsie...

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>now HB wants the PA boards to be made public so he can "take everyone on"...

www.publishamerica.com/cg...e/5261.htm<hr></blockquote>
It's all about his narcissistic need to vent his anger. As one who has been vilified by him unjustly, I feel sorry for the guy. He needs help. Badly.

Ed Williams 3

What's so stupid about the whole thing...

...is that if HB wants to debate, to take on all comers, all he has to do is come here. Personally, I think he's like the proverbial dog chasing a bus - deep down he really doesn't want to catch it, but he sure wants to look like he does. The bottom line is that denied the protection of the PA womb, HB would be quickly exposed for what he is - a shill and wanna be for his PA overlords. It's easy to talk big when no one is going to call you on it.

LaVerneRoss

Release papers came today

HB does have a major problem, there are times when he seems almost human. Mostly he is beastly to those he sees as a enemy.

Hey guys I got my release papers today dated the 2nd, with the gag order on it of course. Not signed it yet though. Wonder what the courts will think of all the gag orders on the writers? My book is still available everywhere except PAs site. Guess they found my review of my book there...

Is there a email address for the distributors of the books? Thinking about contacting them, and all the bookstores I can find. I have already sent them to the main ones.

Doesn't it seem strange that this paper comes at the time of the royalty payment that is supposed to be sent out? Guess I don't get my hamburger without the bun...
Heard of anyone else getting theirs this month?

DaveKuzminski

Re: At last, a defense

Cross out the gag order portion and then sign it. Initial where you crossed it out. See how they react then.

If you don't want to do that, how about if you put a similar gag order in it barring them from badmouthing you and repeating the same lies they told you before?

Of course, this is not legal advice and I have no expectation that they'd sign it with either of those modifications. Still, it might produce results, especially the last. Then if they reuse any of the same lies told to you on another writer, you could go public since they would have first breeched the agreement concerning that. That would probably be sometime in the following hour after they sign. Sometimes, the only way to fight fire is with fire.

DaveKuzminski

Re: New player in town

Better yet, post the entire reply from them. Let's permit other writers to see how they behave. ;)

priceless1

LaVerne, about that gag order...

Please look at this link. It deals with this very problem. I found it to be quite interesting.

<a href="http://www.mindsightseries.com/discus/messages/3831/4050.html?1091760720" target="_new">http://www.mindsightseries.com/discus/messages/3831/4050.html?1091760720</a>

Andrew Spriggs

Re: The NYT says no?

I'm new here, but I still see the things that go around.

When I see things like this, I have problems:

www.prweb.com/releases/20...146480.htm

Of course, the message boards over there scramble all over it--but I just don't see why people do it. One of my parent's friends went PA, and he was burned badly--so even though I don't know personally, I can't understand how people like in the link can just go about doing or saying this.

I don't believe in brainwashing, but I'm running out of other options to excuse this behaviour.

James D Macdonald

Re: The NYT says no?

When I see things like that ... I'm filled with a desire to comment. Rather than a line-by-line, just a few comments though.

I hope that any news medium that picks that thing up does a bit of research before they run with it....

<HR>

All Authors Are Created Equal...

Not really. Most people can't write at all. Only a very few write books that someone other than Mom would want to read.

Publish America is the number one book publisher in the nation...

By what criterion? It's neither the oldest, nor the newest, nor does it have the greatest number of authors, nor the greatest number of titles. It doesn't have the most award winners, nor the most best-sellers. It doesn't pay the highest royalties. How is it "number one"?

They place thousands of books on the shelves of standard brick and mortar bookstores everyday.

They don't place diddly-squat. Their authors, by means of endlessly badgering individual bookstore owners, manage to place one or two copies of their individual books (often on consignment) on bookstore shelves. Since PublishAmerica has thousands of authors that works out to thousands of copies ... but hardly something for PA to be proud of. The authors could have done the same with books they printed in their basements.

These are not low cost, poorly printed, or print on demand books...

No, certainly not low cost, and no one's ever said that Lightning Source didn't do a good job of printing, but these sure as heck are Print On Demand books.

...author’s [sic] that have signed contracts and earn standard royalties from this company ...

Standard royalties are based on cover or list price. PublishAmerica's royalties are based on net price. Therefore, these are not standard royalties.

They preferred the one on one supportive treatment they receive from Publish America.

Really? We've seen examples of the "one on one supportive treatment" here. Folks banned from their message boards, the "don't take that tone with us" emails (when they can be bothered to reply at all), the lack of support for publicity, the lack of support for even such a basic act as printing and shipping books.

They are told that Publish America is a vanity publishing company, even though the authors do not pay one penny to be published and to the contrary are paid royalties that are often higher than other publishing companies.

This is because PublishAmerica is a vanity publishing company. On the day the first book is printed, the author has paid $30, and received back only $1. Every book printed thereafter has a $5 vanity press fee attached. Sales are primarily to the authors themselves, and to their families and friends. As to the royalties being higher -- yes, I suppose you can find publishers that don't pay royalties at all. I'd question the word "often."

... there are thousands of Publish America books lining the shelves of standard book stores.

There may be thousands of books (based on the efforts of thousands of authors), but that's divided by thousands of stores. Lining the shelves? No. You'd be hard-pressed to find any PublishAmerica book in any randomly selected bookstore. This is due to the high cost of the books, the non-returnable nature of the books, the lack of publisher salesforce, and (let's whisper) the poor writing of many, many PublishAmerica books. Tell me, other than your own book, how many PA books are on the shelves of your nearest standard book store? What did you have to do to get your book shelved?

But even with all of these obstacles Publish America Authors continue to submit second, third, fourth and fifth books to this company. Surely there must be a reason for such loyalty.

Many of them submit a second book before the first ever comes out, while they're still in that happy glow of pre-production wishful thinking, when they imagine that everything will go the way PA suggests it will. The rest are desperate.

Could it be that these intelligent individuals know a good deal when they see one?

Or could it be that there's a sucker born every minute, and a fool and his money are soon parted?

This is not the first time that the written word and those that write and publish it have been judged and banned from certain circles, I believe Hemmingway [sic] was one of these cases.

Well, actually, no. (Though Hemingway did self-publish his first book. It was a collection of poems.)

Wouldn’t it be a shame if the next Hemmingway was one of Publish America’s authors and couldn’t get a review or interview because of it?

It would surely be a shame if the next Hemingway were to be a PA author -- it would mean that his books would be read by about 75 of his family and friends.

I did not sign my contract with them because I couldn’t get published anywhere else; they were the first publisher that I sent my work into [sic].

Then how do you know that you couldn't have gotten your work published by a legitimate press?

They are my publisher of choice and not my last resort and I assure you I am not the only author that feels this way.

Yet there are others, many others, for whom PublishAmerica was the last resort. PublishAmerica is the home of the desperate, the deluded, and the naive. It looks to me like Ms. Von Reiman is one of the deluded ones. Answer honestly now, T. A. -- how many copies of your book have sold? Did any sell to someone you don't know by name? How many copies are on the shelves of bookstores? How much money have you, personally, spent on your book? Is it greater than the "royalties" you've earned? What were those royalties as a percentage of cover price? How many copies have you personally bought? Are you aware that the author buying her own copies is the vanity press model of publishing?

I also am the publisher of Writer’s Nook and Reader’s Corner...

Oh, dear! She's giving out advice to newbies?

Alas.

<HR>

Wait! Late-breaking news! T. A. Von Reisman's book, Storms of Destiny, hasn't come out yet! Nevertheless, Terri Von Reisman's second book, The Eyes of Horus has been accepted by PA. So the jury is still out -- maybe she's deluded, maybe she's naive. We'll see how she feels about PA a year from now.

Here's Terri's <a href="http://www.prweb.com/releases/2004/6/prweb136706.htm" target="_new">PRWeb announcement</a> about her being "featured" in Writer's Digest.

Here's <a href="http://www.writersdigest.com/readercontribution_display.asp?id=349&secondarycategory=Speak+Out+Subhome+Page" target="_new">T.A.'s actual mention in Writer's Digest.</a>

FM St George

most media ignore press releases like this; as well as almost every PA book that goes through this routine. It's a good way to get your name out there, but I've never read about an interview or an article coming back to a PA author... nor a sale.

it's interesting how these PAvidians are all fired up while their book is still in the production stage and they've no idea of how little they're going to make - and then they slowly disappear as they get that first fat royalty check of a few dollars...

in a few weeks they should all be getting a major dose of reality.

:p

SRHowen

Re: Infringement?

Authoress? I'm sorry but that's the first time I've seen that term used--is it even a word?

and her link at Writer's Digest doesn't work.

Shawn

James D Macdonald

Re: Infringement?

Sure, authoress is a word, just like waitress and actress. It's just one that you don't see very often these days.

SRHowen

LOL

It just struck me as odd--a kinda look at me I am hip and all that. :jump

Shawn

LaVerneRoss

Mine is already signed by a Janice Riley, whoever that is. Guess they were anxious to get it done. So they don't have to pay me any royalties for the past six months. Must have made too many waves.

It just basically says we wont say anything about you if you do the same. No websites with anything against them either. Contract terminated, and all rights to publish, sell or export or cause to be published, sold, or exported in all forms is deemed released and revert back to author. Also said don't show it to anyone, or to a publisher.

Does anyone know who to contact to get the books from going out? I contacted BN and Amazon, and Books a million. But the others I am not sure about. WHat about the distributors? Any email addresses for them. I know PA isn't going to do anything. I saw their bookstore is still down too.
Will I be getting some other paper after this, or just the one I have?

DaveKuzminski

From another forum

Well, I noticed on another forum that one of the PA authors speculated that PA authors who received viruses seemed to get those when they weren't in favor with PA, but that those viruses ceased arriving when speaking terms resumed. Who knows? However, if it's true, it could make one wonder if one got loose. They might have shot themselves in the foot or bookstore.

James D Macdonald

So they don't have to pay me any royalties for the past six months.

Just wait one stinkin' minute, LaVerne -- they're refusing to pay royalties for sales made while the contract was in force?

Fraud.

Fraud, and breach of contract.

Fraud, breach of contract, and theft.

Get a lawyer. Get your royalties. Get punitive damages. Let the FTC and IRS know. Don't screw around with these bozos.

(And if anyone would like to slip me, sub-rosa, the full text of one of their reversion documents complete with non-disparagment clause, I promise that only a subpoena will make me reveal where I got it.)

Sher2

<Mine is already signed by a Janice Riley, whoever that is. Guess they were anxious to get it done. So they don't have to pay me any royalties for the past six months. Must have made too many waves.

It just basically says we wont say anything about you if you do the same. No websites with anything against them either. Contract terminated, and all rights to publish, sell or export or cause to be published, sold, or exported in all forms is deemed released and revert back to author. Also said don't show it to anyone, or to a publisher.>

Good golly, LaVerne! Did they TELL you they weren't paying you any royalties from the past six months? If any copies of your book sold, they HAVE to pay you any royalties due, regardless of anything that has happened subsequently. Somebody said get a lawyer. I agree, and do it NOW!

As an aside, I know someone who received a registered letter regarding termination of contract this week. It was signed by Janice Riley, but it was on PublishIcelandica letterhead. This person had TWO books with PA, and the so-called release not only didn't say which title was being referred to, but also misspelled the author's name. Further, although the work had been deemed acceptable for publication as long as the author toed the line, once she wanted out, PA disparaged it in the letter, calling it something like "terrible editorially, unpublishable, and detrimental to the public welfare."

Status
Not open for further replies.