Status
Not open for further replies.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
I've always written standalone stories but for the first time I seem to have an idea for a series. ^_^ The idea, or part of it, is a world where the intelligent species has 3 genders. Currently I'm calling the genders: bearers, layers, and seeders, and I've been using female, male, and male pronouns respectively. The bearers have the wombs (and yes they contribute 1/3 of the child's 'genetics' or fantasy version thereof). The layers produce an egg once a month which they lay through an ovipositor which basically looks like a large hollow penis. The seeders are pretty much the same as earthly males, they have testicles and a slender hollow penis.

So, questions:
1. What do you think of the terms bearer, layer, and seeder? Any alternate suggestions?

2. Treating them as female, male, and male - is it bad because it inaccurately conflates two genders, or good because it's reader-friendly? Alternate suggestions?

3. Instead of husband and wife, son and daughter, lord and lady I'd like to make compond words out of the gender words. For example, bearermate, seederchild, and for nobility I really don't know, something like noblelayer sounds hopelesslu awkward. :Shrug: Suggestions?

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
I read a story once where there were three beings necessary for procreation. But I don't recall the precise nomenclature used. I think it was male, female and something I don't remember, but not "it."

I'm sorry but my recollection is sketchy, but I seem to remember the male and female combined genetic material and the "it" thing carried the resulting offspring to term, raised it and somehow determined if the offspring would be male or female or another "it." I seem to remember the male and female were sort of humanoid, but the "it" thing wasn't. However, that may be due to anthorpomorphism on my part or that of the author, since the three beings conversed in dialogue much as you and I might. At any rate, the "it" thing would take the baby away, where it would remain out of the picture until it was capable of beint on its own, its gender already determined.

So, where does leave things? um, dunno. But your bearer would correspond to the "it" thing in the story I sort of remember, the layer and seeder being female and male respectively. I think if it were me, I'd use male, female and choose a term for the "it" thing that fit your idea of what it does. Perhaps bearer is sufficient. Or Nurse. Or something else.

If your bearer behaved that way, taking the offspring away to be raised to maturity, that would alleviate the problems of "Her ladyship the bearer of our offspring" or anything equally lame. And, you could devise a rite of emergence when the newly adult child entered society.

Syrup available for this waffle as requested.

Last edited:

sirensix

Mediocre Sorceress
Registered
Reaction score
The question that comes to mind is, how does the bearer contribute genetic material? Sounds like the layer and seeder are the only ones contributing and the bearer is just the host.

FennelGiraffe

It's green they say
Registered
Reaction score
I read a story once where there were three beings necessary for procreation. But I don't recall the precise nomenclature used. I think it was male, female and something I don't remember, but not "it."

I'm sorry but my recollection is sketchy, but I seem to remember the male and female combined genetic material and the "it" thing carried the resulting offspring to term, raised it and somehow determined if the offspring would be male or female or another "it." I seem to remember the male and female were sort of humanoid, but the "it" thing wasn't. However, that may be due to anthorpomorphism on my part or that of the author, since the three beings conversed in dialogue much as you and I might. At any rate, the "it" thing would take the baby away, where it would remain out of the picture until it was capable of beint on its own, its gender already determined.

Are you thinking of Asimov's The Gods Themselves? I know the aliens in that are three-gendered, although I don't recall how their system works.

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Might have been, Fennel, but the image of the story that comes into my head isn't Asimovian enough. lol

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
The question that comes to mind is, how does the bearer contribute genetic material? Sounds like the layer and seeder are the only ones contributing and the bearer is just the host.
On the contrary. This is a fantasy setting, so they don't have to actually have DNA, but if they did perhaps they are triploid and each parent contributes one set of chromosomes, so they each contribute an equal 1/3 of genetic material.

Phoebe H

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ph-unbalanced.livejournal.com

Are you thinking of Asimov's The Gods Themselves? I know the aliens in that are three-gendered, although I don't recall how their system works.

There was also a 3-gendered race in David Brin's The Uplift War, I think it was the Gubru?

Anyway, they were avians, and the way they worked it was that they all started out as genderless, but had three roles to fill (warrior, priest, and administrator, essentially). The process of mating took months and also involved the negotiation and implementation of a task. Whichever of the three had the better plans ended up developing into the female, and the other two became males.

It wasn't just sex, it was POLICY.

Phoebe H

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ph-unbalanced.livejournal.com
2. Treating them as female, male, and male - is it bad because it inaccurately conflates two genders, or good because it's reader-friendly? Alternate suggestions?

I think that using male terminology for two of them is potentially confusing.

You might consider using the gender indeterminate pronouns zie (subject) and hir (object & possessive) for one of your genders. (Probably layers?) They're still fairly exotic, but I do see them used.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Are there any real examples of 3 gendered life to look at, or just fantastic examples?

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
I think that using male terminology for two of them is potentially confusing.

You might consider using the gender indeterminate pronouns zie (subject) and hir (object & possessive) for one of your genders. (Probably layers?) They're still fairly exotic, but I do see them used.

I considered using nonstandard pronouns for all three races, because I really feel that none of them are exactly male or female, and one isn't less so than the other two. Melissa Scott's Shadow Man has 3 kinds of nonstandard pronouns. But, the last time I tried to actually write using gender neutral pronounce (sie and hir) for a hermaphrodite race, I found that it did not work at all. It made the characters seem alien where I wanted them to seem attractive, and each character was more male or more female in my mind so I was constantly slipping and using the wrong pronouns. Basically, it was a bigger mess than having two varieties of male would be.

indiriverflow

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.blues4kali.com
Nope, none exist, although there are creatures like bees which have classes of neuter individuals that are not directly involved in reproduction.

Those worker insects fulfill a role in reproduction...foraging for food, and, in the case of bees, making royal jelly. As such, they perform kind of a collective "suckling" role.

The Anthias fish changes gender during its lifecycle. Whether this constitutes a distinct gender is subject to debate.

Three genders is called, "intersexuality". Try out this Wiki for some background.

Another fictional example occurs in Piers Anthony's Cluster series. It is quite a moment when the character realizes the metamorphosis.

I don't recall all of the genders, one of them was "Undulant".

Your terminology is okay descriptively, but a little clunky.

How about provider, receiver, and host?

Last edited:

Stunted

Ich heiße Superphantastisch!
Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't sound like a bad idea, but I really really would not like to see a real detailed explicit description of...any of that.

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
How about provider, receiver, and host?
I don't really see how provider, receiver, and host apply to my 3 genders? Only the one which has the womb receives or hosts anything, while the other two both provide something. Hosts also makes it sound like they are hosting a parasite or a possessing spirit or something, not a baby. Provider and receiver aren't too bad, although they both have connotations that are kind of misleading; but then so do mine.

Alex - Wow I never knew aphids were so weird! *reads about them*

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

One of my favoritest books of all time!

In their "natural" form, the three genders were the Soft Ones. There was the Emotional, Intellectual and the Parental. When the Emotional fed on enough energy, she'd get her two partners all excited and they'd merge for as long as the energy lasted. Afterward, the Parental would birth a new Soft One.

It was extremely cool.

sirensix

Mediocre Sorceress
Registered
Reaction score
I still am not clear how the one with the womb provides genetic material... It really sounds like they're just providing an environment for the other two's "seeds" to mix together and do their thing. I have no problem with the idea of triploid genes or whatever, but the "Bearer" does need to be actually providing some sort of physical substance, I think, if you're going to have all three be passing along traits/bloodlines/whatever. Then again, you don't have to do it that way either. The bearer could provide no genes, but still have parental rights just for having done the hard part of labor etc.

It's entirely up to you of course; I just know if I were reading this story, the process had been explained as you do in the OP, and the bearer had red hair and the other two didn't, and the kid was born with red hair, I'd literally be distracted and be all like, "How??"

People don't look like Mom because they were in her womb - they look like her because she provided an egg to mix with Dad's sperm. So if you want the bearer to provide material for the baby, you should give her some sort of little seed as well to join with the other two. Maybe something stationary and flowerlike that needs the other two mobile thingies to develop. I dunno, just talking off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps your real question isn't the mechanics of their sexuality, but your perception of their gender roles. Does any gender hold power? Is any gender traditionally considered to be more aggressive, more emotional, more artistic, more logical, more tough? If you answer those questions first, finding pronouns that will reflect your decisions may become easier.

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Ooh the idea of a flower in the bearer's womb is awesome, what great symbolism. :) The bearer definitely does contribute their fair third of the 'genetic' material. Because it's a fantasy setting I was thinking about assigning each gender an elemental force. Think of a yin-yang only with 3 elements spiraling together rather than 2. Magically all 3 basic elements are necessary to create new life, and each gender provides one.

Gender roles, yes they have them - layers are muscular and charming, seeders are swift/delicate and intelligent, bearers are sturdy/cuddly and organized/managerial. Sort of a warrior-scholar-businessperson triad.

Status
Not open for further replies.