My LI eats humans

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
I'd have to read it to decide. Depends on what kind of romance it is, what kind of character he is, and what his backstory is.

I'd also need to know why the FMC likes him.

dancing-drama

Priestly Up!
Registered
Reaction score
P.P.S. I' just going to spoiler all of you and say that the FMC, by the end of the story, is not as human as she was at the beginning. She's not entirely human to begin with and develops further away from that point.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
So she becomes more like a sadistic monster than the monster becomes like a moral person? That might might interesting as a morality/literary piece. But if either or both of them are meant to be the hero... well. Young girl gets serial killer boyfriend, and joins in with his activities is not a typical feel good YA girl empowerment kind of story. It sounds more like a parable based on the life story of most female serial killers (who tend to get into it because of a sexually sadistic boyfriend). Is the take home message that other people don't matter and it is okay to kill them on a whim?

ArachnePhobia

Registered
Reaction score
So she becomes more like a sadistic monster than the monster becomes like a moral person? That might might interesting as a morality/literary piece. But if either or both of them are meant to be the hero... well. Young girl gets serial killer boyfriend, and joins in with his activities is not a typical feel good YA girl empowerment kind of story. It sounds more like a parable based on the life story of most female serial killers (who tend to get into it because of a sexually sadistic boyfriend). Is the take home message that other people don't matter and it is okay to kill them on a whim?

I dunno, he sounds like a real humanitarian to me... *headslapped from fifteen different directions*

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have problem with human becoming food or cuisine, per se. I'd prefer the consumption be written stylishly with creative recipes ^_^.

However, I think the bigger issue is how do you convince me that the FMC has no problem with her lover eating her own race. Like, she comes home with a Micky's meal and they sit together, she eats her meal, he eats some human bum (may/may not be tearing off a hip bone). Can she enjoy her meal? Will she ever stick her tongue into his mouth?

I've read that if a pet dog owner brings home dog meat, the dog repels. Will she get into similar scenario? Will the FMC ever ponder what will happen when he's exceedingly hungry? Will this cast some gloom in her? Is the romance meant to be tragic?

Or is the setting in a world in which even men eat men? Or demons eat men, and men eat demons; or everyone eats everything? And therefore anyone eating his/her own race is no biggie?

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
P.P.S. I' just going to spoiler all of you and say that the FMC, by the end of the story, is not as human as she was at the beginning. She's not entirely human to begin with and develops further away from that point.

Hmmm. That changes things.

ETA: Now that I've thought about it though, the readers won't know that at the beginning. It could certainly work, but I do think some readers will be turned off by the fact that he eats people and doesn't care.

Last edited:

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Even if she isn't human, I'm going to assume she has human sensibilities and therefore would have issues with him eating people alive.

It's more about realism for me. Would any normal person *actually* go for a guy who eats people alive? And if they did, wouldn't we think they were complete morons/whack jobs? Your description seems like the violence is just there because it's provocative. Even her reaction of "coming around" to the fact that he is a murderer (he doesn't sedate people and then euthanize and eat them. He doesn't even seem concerned with whether or not it's painful) just doesn't seem believable.

It seems *cool* in some ways (omg her boyfriend tears hearts out LITERALLY) but not at all grounded in reality.

And for me, liking a character is much different from appreciating them as a love interest. No amount of culture makes up for insanely violent psychos?

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
I'd say that depends on whether he's a picky eater. I.e., does he maybe eat nasty people who totally had it coming? Or would he also eat a Girl Scout with a little white bow on her head who has just helped an elderly man cross the street?
Not a new point, but a popular one.

Maria S

Registered
Reaction score
I don't really see eating humans as too different than drinking their blood. I do think that it would be important to see how she reacts to actually seeing him eat people. I'd want to know her feelings and thoughts on this. Also, how does she feel about his true form? Is she attracted to it? If she can love him for all that he is, and if she truly see's all of him, then why not? Loving a monster is not uncommon. Think of politicians wives! (Kidding.)

I'm a bit grossed out by the idea of a LI who eats humans, but blood drinking grosses me out just as much. I do love reading stories where the MC struggles to come to terms with the questionable habits of their lovers. My favorite scene in The Southern Vampire Mysteries, was when Sookie threw-up after realizing that her boyfriend was actually undead. I remember screaming 'Finally! A realistic reaction'.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Hm. Okay, question: Is this a paranormal romance? Or a horror story? It sounds more like horror to me, in which case this type of plot is absolutely not a problem. Trying to sell it as a romance? Eh, might be a problem. The market is definitely out there. Just so long as you now what market that is...

auriel

Registered
Reaction score
I would have a really hard time with it. As a character? Fine. But as a LI? I wouldn't be able to see him the same way after learning about his diet, even if he were a Dexter version. I would have trouble with the FMC if she continued liking him - even if they argue about it. It's not like a habit he can give up. She isn't going to change that about him and it's going to remain gross in my eyes. I am an avid Supernatural fan, and I guess I have the same idea they do - anything that kills and eats humans is a villain, no matter what.

I am easily grossed out though, and probably not in the demographic for your book.

Also, for whoever misread the title as "hummus" - I did the same thing and lol'd hard.