New Freelancer

2nycwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Good Afternoon, I want to start a magazine. I love to write and just recently in the last 2 years realize this is what I want to do with my life. I have been racking my brain for the last few days for a name of my magazine but after reading a few posts on here I have decided that I should just do a blog or website with sample writings to showcase my work. My question is should this be a blog or a website? For the name should it just be my name? Does any one use Alias? I have noticed that since I decided this is what I want to do with my life that I have been having terrible writer's block. I think I am just scared to put myself out there. Last question? My social media (fb and twitter) for freelancing should be different than my personal correct?

I enjoy writing about relationships and music (reviews) is this a good thing to dedicate to writing or is that limiting me when potential clients read it as if this is all I can write about?

liter8media

Exploring the Time Vortex
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent questions. I'll try and answer a few to my own ability.

My question is should this be a blog or a website?
I recommend a blog, for it allows you to write and update your material, and seem like an active writer. However, you should also have a part that should show "Samples" of your work. But a blog is the easiest and most time-valued method for building an online presence.

For the name should it just be my name? Does any one use Alias?
Up to you. Aliases are kind of a fun idea, but really don't add any value to your "personal brand", though it could be a really fun twist for your marketing (IE who you are as a writer). However, making it your name gives it a more "authentic feel".

My social media (fb and twitter) for freelancing should be different than my personal correct?
As for Facebook, I recommend having a Facebook page for your business, and a personal account as well.

Twitter is up to you. I like to do my personal and business on the same one, for it creates more a more human image. But your brand choices are up to you.

I enjoy writing about relationships and music (reviews) is this a good thing to dedicate to writing or is that limiting me when potential clients read it as if this is all I can write about?

While this may seem to be limiting, you're more likely to find more fulfillment by limiting yourself. I know that I have found more fulfillment by limiting my writing in that way. I don't get paid as well up front, but I start to look like an expert, and I may attract more followers and become a more trustworthy source for others.

I hope that some of this helped. I wish you luck, and am open to helping you out. I'm still new to this, but have learned a lot from writers like Carol Tice and Joe Bunting.

2nycwriter

Registered
Reaction score
A few other questions came to my mind: for my social media presence I think that my avatar should either be a picture or a logo. Do writers have logos? Do you all have business cards? If so where is a good place that I could go to get either?

Thank you so much for you responses.

starbirdy66

Writely Applied
Registered
Reaction score
Website
videsantis.writelyapplied.com
I've always created an avatar in Photoshop from an image used on my blog/website and then associated it with Twitter, FB etc. When I had business cards made up for my organization business I used the same avatar image on them that I created for my WordPress blog.

I recently created a profile pict/avatar to incorporate three images representing two sites I write for at BellaOnline and also my writing blog. (It is my profile picture here - click my username to see.)

You can have a logo company do work for you but it can get costly. They give you so many options for comparison to choose from though.

If you don't have Photoshop, there are free programs and also you can find freelancers who might make you up a logo at low cost.

If you make your own, find images at iStock photography or Dreamstime. You purchase credits to download royalty free images for personal use.

liter8media

Exploring the Time Vortex
Registered
Reaction score
As for the business card question, they're always helpful. I find that they make me feel more professional, and impresses others as well.

RobinF

Writing, speaking, more writing
Registered
Reaction score
I have noticed that since I decided this is what I want to do with my life that I have been having terrible writer's block. I think I am just scared to put myself out there.
Write. Do it. You can't get up in the morning, go to an office job and have employee block. You are required to work when you go to work. You are required to work (write) to be a writer. It's not optional. If you allow yourself to hold yourself back you'll never realize your dream. It's not always easy. Some days I hate it. Some days I can't write the damned book review I need to have done by the end of the week, so I write something else. My editors don't care if I have writers block, they depend on me meeting my deadline so that they can meet theirs. No writing, no paycheck. You took a big step by coming here. You can do this.

One of the most important things I've ever read is Gretchen Rubin's quote, "Act the way you want to feel." It goes well with "be the person you want to be." You're in control. Act like a writer and you'll be a writer. Have faith! You can do it!

2nycwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Thank u

@starbirdy66..thank you I am going to look up those resources asap and get started on my logo and bus cards.

@liter I do think that it would be more professional even if I am not just handing them out every day I think I would feel more professional like a REAL writer

@Robin....thank you. Those words touched me. That makes alot of sense. I dont want to be 60 wondering what if because I was scared.