Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
211kt54.jpg

Yup, got my first rejection today. Form, of course. E-mail. *sigh* I'm off to a strong start! ;)

Last edited:

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Also if you look close, that cat is actually licking his lips. It's a subliminal message. You really do want those rejections!

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
Also if you look close, that cat is actually licking his lips. It's a subliminal message. You really do want those rejections!

Dude, cats don't have lips. :tongue But at least I can feel like a real author now. Does it get easier or harder with the following rejects? I'm going to try to be aloof and uncaring as agents reject my query. Could be worse, they could be rejecting my story for being crap. At least I can keep that little piece of self-delusion buried in my thoughts. ;)

Last edited:

qdsb

Cynical Idealist
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2:

Have some chocolate. Maybe some Godiva liquor. Hang in there!

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Rhino-hide does indeed take time. ;)
I third the chocolate and booze approach. :Hug2:

qdsb

Cynical Idealist
Registered
Reaction score
Dang. I was hoping I could pick up some rhino-hide cheap on ebay. ;)

J. R. Tomlin

Banned
Reaction score
For me they get easier, until I suddenly get one that manages to get under my skin (got two like that recently). Then I get a sale, even a small one, and all is good. ;)

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Good work, Az. Now you're hooked.

Now for part 2. You did send it right out again, right?

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
It's definitely easier as you get more. Well... okay, let me qualify that. It's easier for me because I started with short stories. I would get like 50 rejections and then... I'd sell one. Start over. It became like a game. With novels it's more like "Write novel, get fifty rejections, write another novel, get fifty rejections..." The process is much, much longer. :)

I think as long as, every once in a while, I get that note that says something like, "Your writing is excellent, this is just not for me," or whatever, I'm okay. Actually, as long as I get a request for a full now and then, I'm happy as a clam because I know I'm getting somewhere.

Mostly, I think it's being able to have the confidence in your writing to say, "Okay, so maybe they didn't want it, but somebody will."

Just like someday, not everyone who goes into the scifi/fantasy section in the bookstore (or wherever you are) is going to pick up your novel and decide to buy it. But SOME of them are, and that will be enough.

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
Cats have lips. I think. Well, one of mine does. Big, funny-looking ones. But anyway, I'm sorry. That still stinks. But Jo's right. It means you're in the game--a HUGE accomplishment. So drink up, have a disgusting amount of chocolate and send that baby back out.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Cats have lips. I think. Well, one of mine does. Big, funny-looking ones. But anyway, I'm sorry. That still stinks. But Jo's right. It means you're in the game--a HUGE accomplishment. So drink up, have a disgusting amount of chocolate and send that baby back out.

That's right, I forgot to add: Chocolate fixes everything.

Deirdre

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deirdre.net
211kt54.jpg

Yup, got my first rejection today. Form, of course. E-mail. *sigh* I'm off to a strong start! ;)

First blood is a start!

Karen Joy Fowler got many rejections before being published. As she filed each one, she'd say, "one more editor who tried to stop me -- and failed."

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
I'm actually going to tell you congratulations, but it is a big accomplishment to send something out. But, rejections do still stink. You'll eventually get where they don't really bother you as much.

Dragonfly45

Purveyor of the Sparkly
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colbymarshall.blogspot.com
Hang in there, buddy! I hit 21 rejections before getting a request for more, but now I've gotten a request for a partial and today a req. for a full from a different agent...so the main thing is that there's not magic number...just keep on submitting until you get it to the right person. Good luck!

Dragonfly45

Purveyor of the Sparkly
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colbymarshall.blogspot.com
Oh, and might I also say that my first partial request came the Sunday after I had gotten eight rejections in one day...so you never can tell when that tide is going to turn...

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
Okay, now I'm feeling stupid. It seems I sent it to the wrong agent so no wonder I got a reject. *sigh* I am so incompetent. A fellow author recommended the person as a good fit for my work, but she accidentally sent me the link to a different agent's info first and I was too excited/stupid/blind to read the "Wait no, not her, this other one!" line that came after it. I think I was busy trying to format the email so it looked presentable (which took me about an hour). *headdesk* Now I've missed out on the agent that might have been a good fit because she's in the same agency. I don't think it's a good idea to send something for awhile.

:e2bummed:

Thanks for all the kind words. I appreciate it.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Not that this is a cheery thought, but most agencies say that if you send a query they think better suits someone else at their agency, they will pass it on.

qdsb

Cynical Idealist
Registered
Reaction score
So there's still hope! Wait a few months and then query the one you actually intended. In the meantime, maybe send out a couple more queries.

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
Not that this is a cheery thought, but most agencies say that if you send a query they think better suits someone else at their agency, they will pass it on.

Yup, I know, and she might have, though the rejection came from her email address and there wasn't much time in between. *shrugs* Like I said, I'm not sending back to that agency right away anyway.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
It does depend on the agency, though. If it's a bigger one like Writer's House and Trident Media, many people have queried multiple agents there.

Status
Not open for further replies.