• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Curtis Brown, Ltd. (USA)

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: Since threads were merged, I'll switch links: Here's the Ask the Agent thread. (Can you believe it's been a year already?!)

Last edited:

scriptor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Curtis Brown has rejected me as well as some of you all.. it was a nice and sincere letter though... very professional..

cygopi

I've met Nathan

Nathan got in touch with me after another lit agent passed on a chapter of my book to him. I have never written fiction --- and I have to say that Nathan, who had never met me at that time, has been instrumental in convincing me that I had it in me. In the last three years, with his encouragement, I am now nearing the completion of a 35-chapter opus. He has read incomplete instalments, individual chapters, sketchy outlines, and just about anything else I sent him, and unfailingly responded in detail, with insight and warmth.

Why this man would take so much time with a writer he had never met and who lived an ocean away is still a mystery to me, but I owe him a huge debt of gratitude. At that time, I was living in Africa, and Nathan was in New York. I finally met him in New York, and had a drink at a bar that has historically been linked with writers. I signed a contract with Curtis Brown Ltd.

Let me say that Nathan is a 5-star literary agent, passionate about his work, very well read, an excellent critic, and if you're lucky enough to get his attention, you'll be the better for it — even if your book never sees the light of day.

C. Y. Gopinath

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Curtis Brown is the agent thanked in Kim Harrison's novels: Dead Witch Walking, For a Few Demons More and the new one in the series Outlaw Demon Wails.

Her books are featured at the front counter by the registers at both OKC, Barnes and Nobles.

Regards,
Scott

katie05

Registered
Reaction score
Katherine Fausset of Curtis Brown

Anyone heard of Katherine Fausset at Curtis Brown? I've seen some sales for her on Publishers Marketplace but mostly to independent presses. Does she deal primarily with independent presses? Does anyone know?

Mythica

Expert Gerbil Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.courtneyallisonmoulton.com
I definitely have a high opinion of Curtis Brown. Ginger Clark requested a partial from me within four days of my submission and she seems really nice. Very professional. I also love Nathan's blog. I check that every day!

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
Actually, I believe Kim Harrison's agent is Richard Curtis of Richard Curtis Associates, not Curtis Brown. And as Jamie Hall was wonderful enough to mention, I did just sign with Ginger Clark. I'm still somewhat in shock, honestly. ;)

Curtis Brown is the agent thanked in Kim Harrison's novels: Dead Witch Walking, For a Few Demons More and the new one in the series Outlaw Demon Wails.

Her books are featured at the front counter by the registers at both OKC, Barnes and Nobles.

Regards,
Scott

beachbabe

Registered
Reaction score
I was asked to submit a partial to Maureen Walters exclusively. What do you think?

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
An agent named Dorie Simmonds ultimately rejected me but recommended I try Ginger at Curtis Brown. I shot her a query, she responded very fast with a partial request. The waiting is killing me. Been around 5 weeks or so since I sent it off, which is right around what she says her response time is on PM. If I don't hear back in a a couple weeks, I think I'll ask if she got it all right.

hootie

Registered
Reaction score
maureen walters

I am trying to get more info on Maureen Walters, who requested a partial on exclusive from me. Her profile on AQ does not give much insight and CB has no website! Can anyone report on their dealings with her? Thanks in advance!

kristi26

Registered
Reaction score
I am trying to get more info on Maureen Walters, who requested a partial on exclusive from me. Her profile on AQ does not give much insight and CB has no website! Can anyone report on their dealings with her? Thanks in advance!

You can see her Publisher's Marketplace page here: http://publishersmarketplace.com/members/mawalters/

Her Query Tracker Page here:

http://www.querytracker.net/agent.php?agent=84

And her listing on P & E here:

http://anotherealm.com/prededitors/pealm.htm

The simple fact that she's with such a well known and well established agency would make me jump at the chance to submit anything to her. Good luck!

hootie

Registered
Reaction score

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Now that this agency has resurfaced in the posts, has anyone ever queried Laura Blake Peterson? I snailed a query to her on June 23 but haven't heard anything.

hootie

Registered
Reaction score
Now that this agency has resurfaced in the posts, has anyone ever queried Laura Blake Peterson? I snailed a query to her on June 23 but haven't heard anything.

yes, I queried her via snail mail on 3/11/08 and got a snail mail no on 3/28. Waited a few months, than snail queried Maureen Walters on 6/9/08 and got the request for a partial 6/11/08. Still waiting to hear on the partial, but the response time of both CB agents to the initial query was really fast!

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Hootie - Thanks for the turnaround info! I figure I'll wait until September when everyone's back from vacation and maybe resend to another agent. Fingers crossed for you on the partial!

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
than snail queried Maureen Walters on 6/9/08 and got the request for a partial 6/11/08. Still waiting to hear on the partial, but the response time of both CB agents to the initial query was really fast!

Maureen Walters responded to my partial (a pass) at the six week mark, fwiw.

scully931

So you're suggesting what? Bigfoot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paragonstudios.org
Just wondering if anyone has had any recent experiences with Elizabeth Harding at Curtis Brown. She has a partial exclusive of mine. It's been about a month and a half and I'm just wondering what her normal turnaround time is. :)

hootie

Registered
Reaction score
nathan bransford

What's the scoop on nathan? He sounds very knowedgable and experienced on his blog, but he does not have many client books listed and PM shows only 3 sales in 2 years. I know he's young....is a sparse track record to be expected?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
There's more listed on his AQ page. Feel free to post questions for him down in the Ask the Agent forum, too.