Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystic Blossom

My heart's a battleground
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rachellieberman.wordpress.com
So back in February I sent out a bunch of queries to agents for my novel. One requested the full, but on an exclusive basis. As the full was already out to two places, one agency and one rather high-end publishing house, I asked if it would be okay to wait. She said certainly.

So I waited. The publishing house declines (if you've read any of my earlier post, you may know the silver lining to that, so I won't go into it here), and the agency takes forever.

And ever.

And ever.

Until finally, it's September, and I e-mailed them politely asking if they've made a decision. Finally they say no. Okay, all well and good. So I e-mailed the exclusive agent and ask if she still would like it. The first thing she asks, is if the publishing house turned me down.

Um, okay. She didn't even know they were reading the manuscript unagented before she requested the full, and even though it impressed her when I told her about it in my e-mail asking if she could wait, so I don't know why it's an issue now, but sure, why not. I tell her no. She asks for the first two chapters again. The same two chapters she's read before. Understandable. It's been six months. She's probably forgotten them. I send them along.

Got an e-mail a few hours ago rejecting it. Same two chapters she's read before. Same two chapters she praised with specific words. The e-mail was also a form one, and, in my opinion, patronizing (the standard, don't give up! spiel).

The manuscript is flawed. I'm the first to admit this. It should not have been sent out when it was sent out, and I probably burned some bridges with this (but not many, because most of them have probably forgotten my name by now anyway, so re-querying will most likely not be a huge deal). Officially, no one has it right now, and I am working on another project that I have more faith in and have vowed to concentrate on until it's complete and people I trust have read it. I'm still young, and this is a huge learning process for me. I don't want to take a break from submitting (well, submitting FINISHED stuff, anyway), because I know I'm already on the right track to getting accepted and taking a break would be like saying that I'm not ready. I am ready. I just need a PIECE that's ready.

What I'm trying to say in this half-asleep rant is that I wasn't expecting, at this point of revelation that the manuscript is flawed, that it would get accepted, but gosh, you've accepted the first two chapters before. Why would you read the EXACT SAME WORDS and suddenly not want them?

Last edited:

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
It's proof that this is a pretty arbitrary game, and certainly WAY too profit-oriented.

Everybody says, write a great book, as if that's all there is to it. But there's all the intangible stuff you can't control. The mind game, of an agent trying to psych out an eidtor, who's trying to psych out the buying public, who mostly buys whatever their friends say is cool, anyway. And then, once you're in the Club of published writers, you can certainly get away with being less than perfect.

Yeah, I agree. She blew it.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It's proof that this is a pretty arbitrary game, and certainly WAY too profit-oriented.

Everybody says, write a great book, as if that's all there is to it. But there's all the intangible stuff you can't control. The mind game, of an agent trying to psych out an eidtor, who's trying to psych out the buying public, who mostly buys whatever their friends say is cool, anyway. And then, once you're in the Club of published writers, you can certainly get away with being less than perfect.

I take it you've never sold a novel to a mainstream publisher. Nothing works as you seem to think.

WriterGirl2007

Black hole of writing...
Registered
Reaction score
Wow... That would be really frustrating and annoying.

Mystic Blossom

Registered
Reaction score
Website

Even first-time authors aren't always perfect. It is a marketing game, I completely agree, because while you need something that's well written, obviously, you need something that will also sell. So I suppose sometimes an agent or an editor will settle for a happy medium, which makes me sad, but that's not really the topic for today XD

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
It's shame it had to work like that. At least you can be proud of your own honesty and integrity in this situation. You handled it all with a mature and professional attitude.

Don't give up. Continue to write the best work you can and this learning process will serve you well in future. Good luck!

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
I would have sent out a copy of the ms with the proviso that two others had also requested it (without going into specifics) but that you'd be happy to refrain from sending it out to anyone else until she got back to you. She may have read it a little faster or she may not have read it at all, but at least she would have given you a chance without relying on someone else's reaction to it. Live and learn, but once you've got that kind of foot in the door, you have to give it a shove.

Mystic Blossom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yeah, next time I won't hype myself up so much, lol. I didn't think she'd expect more from this than I did, and that I would end up being the realistic one. Oh well.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
I take it you've never sold a novel to a mainstream publisher. Nothing works as you seem to think.

Um, I really don't know how to respond to this.

Perhaps I didn't express myself well. It seems to me that the agent's opinion of the book's MARKETABILITY changed based on one editor's response. There are thousands of stories about wildly successful authors who had difficulties getting published at first. And books that were published in small runs because somebody loved it but didn't think it would sell well, but then word of mouth turned it into a phenomenon. Nobody, and I mean nobody, can really predict which book will be that next phenomenon. But that's what agents and editors are trying to figure out. And what one agency loves, another may not. Perhaps arbitrary isn't the right word, but it is subjective, and there's no guarantee that a well-written book will immediately find a home.

Am I missing something about the process that I would understand if I'd been published by now?

Status
Not open for further replies.