SciFi/Fantasy First Line Game

Bricona

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the game! However, this first sentence isn't obviously speculative (science fiction/fantasy) in nature, which is against the rules of the game. If not corrected, the duck may come for you! Beware anatine wrath! ;)

More seriously, The goal of the game is to come up with compelling first lines that are both compelling enough that someone would want to read more, and that are obviously the beginning of a story that is speculative in nature. The rules of the game are:

1) Every post must contain a first line. This is true even if you're replying to someone, as I am here.
2) The entry must only be one sentence. No multiple sentence entries, and no cheating by gluing together sentences with semicolons. The duck will catch you.
3) The sentence must be obviously speculative in nature. This is why you will see many that deal with vampires, curses, spaceships, or whatever.

There's no 'winning' per se, save inasmuch as the lines you come up with may spur story ideas that you can use later.

It's pretty easy, and fun once you get into it! And as badducky would say, 'Play as often as you want.' :)

Now, to keep my own post legit...

Resurrection felt like being burned alive, only in reverse.

Thanks Alex, I'll keep that in mind. Maybe I should've wrote green boobs or her chest plate instead of blouse.

"I sat on the grass of the football field as I pulled the shards of skull that punctured into the palms of my hand."

starscape

Busy with a number of networks
Registered
Reaction score
Website
leikkanen.wordpress.com
Howdy, starscape, and welcome to the game! Alas, I think you have some grammatical snafus in this line of yours. Please edit?

I have edited it. But sry, badducky, I didn't really understand what you mean. :)

Last edited:

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
I just wanted to take a moment and wish everyone a happy holidays! I hope you are all happy, healthy, and full of delicious food!

My entry

The radioactive cranberry sauce glowed through the seven stomachs of my new alien boyfriend.

Inarticulate Babbler

Pissin' Everyone off, 1 at a time
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Tell that damned turkey to hold still, so I can finish stuffing it," Zorn said to one of the four slogs holding the ten-foot, fire-breathing turkey down.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bianca was your typical teenage girl, if by typical you meant covered in scales and capable of phasing in and out of reality.

Tanydwr

Registered
Reaction score
The only thing that got Emily through a day at work was the promise of a new vision of her boss's death at the end up it - it was a shame that Tom's job was saving him from said death.

(Just to clarify, while I find my job boring, I quite like my boss on the whole. It just sounded fun.)

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Carson Abernathy spent years hating the darkness of space, but as his viewscreen filled with millions of twinkling lights from the incoming missiles, he found himself yearning for the black, empty void he once detested.

WCP

bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Although the garden gnomes treated me graciously since I entered their magical world of mushrooms and rocky brooks, lately they have been whispering amongst themselves with their high-pitched voices and staring at me blankly with their beady little eyes.

Last edited:

WCP

bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
No one gave a shit about the phlegm monster's solo art show, except for me.

Last edited:

AlexPiper

Wayward Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Seattle, WA -- land of rain, home of the spice caf
Website
www.fabulaurbanus.com
Hindenburg.gif

In hindsight, shipping dragon eggs via zeppelin was perhaps a poor decision.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
"Forgive me, Father for I have sinned - it's been three hundred years since my last Confession."

(Honestly not sure how that's punctuated, but it's usually said as one line, so...)