The Cantina Staring Back At You From The Abyss

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Congrats, Filigree!

Oh, oh, AND I managed to run through the final obstacle of lots of electrodes that will shock you with 10K volts, and I maneuvered around all of them! Score one for Winks.

Though I made up for that by getting shocked at least 20 times as I crawled in the mud through an earlier electrode field. Mostly on my bum because apparently I crawl like an inch worm and stick it up. Not cool. Not. Cool. There was a lot of squawking going on that had the other contestants laughing their butts off, but I couldn't help it.
Soooo, I'm guessing this is one of those things where they have you sign a health waver at the beginning? Glad you survived, though. :D

Yesterday we went to the Salamanca Powwow, and it was a lot of fun. Yummy fry bread. I had bear sausage and it was yummy, too! I may have bought some beady things :D
Bear? Sausage? Like, sausage made out of actual furry, growling, don't-feed-the-bears, bear?

:Thumbs: on the beady things.

I've come home to a dead refrigerator, after a 2 week trip in the UK. Disgusting icky mess.
Ew.

Afternoon, Cantina. I haz the afternoon sleepys, but I am wording, anyway. Not a whole lot else to say, atm. It's been a pretty normal, but pleasant Sunday. :)

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
YOU GAIS! :cry: Something terrible happened!!! :cry: I FINISHED AN ANIME!!! :cry:

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
I probably haven't seen it, but which one?

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting times we're living in for sure. Curious to see what the response is going to be, and whether there's going to be a little or a lot outrage. I was, I have to admit, a bit floored at the anger over the new Star Trek series cast, when some "fans" complained about too much diversity and how that ran against the franchise tradition, which made me do a triple take.

an old roommate of mine runs a doctor who etsy shop. they've already blocked a bunch of people on facebook since this morning over insults they've seen towards the new doctor :rant: the best comment was someone saying "what's next? a girl batman? a girl iron man? a girl spider-man?" despite the fact that batwoman, teenage girl iron man, spider-woman + spider-gwen, all exist already. and are pretty popular.

yumpty-tum

Registered
Reaction score
Oooh... Change of venue? Nice. Like the decor, very David Eddings!

What a monster of a day! The 3-year-old decided last night that Saturday nights were meant for partying, so that was that gone. And then this morning she decided that 7:30 was a perfectly reasonable time to waltz into my bedroom on a Sunday morning shouting "wake up! It's morning time!" And the Mrs and myself have been acting as Secret-Keeper for my cousin since Wednesday about his proposal plans for today. And he decided to do it whilst I was playing my weekly football game (that's real football where you kick the ball with your foot), so I turned my phone on at 6pm to a whatsapp telling me they were going to have celebratory drinks at 7pm. Yay for rushed showers! And Jodie Whittaker!

It's all a bit much...

yumpty-tum

Registered
Reaction score
Um, Cantina, will someone pinch me? A partial request just turned into a full. Other than the book that sold direct to a small press, none of my queries has done as well as this one.

I has a sad. One of my all time favorite bosses is leaving Arizona to go back to New Zealand after 20 years in the US. Genius moldmaker and prop master. With whom shall I make zombie cadaver props for cheap horror flicks, now?

Congratulations!

folclor

Left-Handed Writing Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.angrypossumpublishing.xyz
an old roommate of mine runs a doctor who etsy shop. they've already blocked a bunch of people on facebook since this morning over insults they've seen towards the new doctor :rant: the best comment was someone saying "what's next? a girl batman? a girl iron man? a girl spider-man?" despite the fact that batwoman, teenage girl iron man, spider-woman + spider-gwen, all exist already. and are pretty popular.
Either the person who made that post was being fantastically sarcastic or was an idiot.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
Congrats, Filigree!

Soooo, I'm guessing this is one of those things where they have you sign a health waver at the beginning? Glad you survived, though. :D

Bear? Sausage? Like, sausage made out of actual furry, growling, don't-feed-the-bears, bear?

:Thumbs: on the beady things.

Ew.

Afternoon, Cantina. I haz the afternoon sleepys, but I am wording, anyway. Not a whole lot else to say, atm. It's been a pretty normal, but pleasant Sunday. :)

Yes, sausage made from bear meat. Native American festivals have the coolest meat. There was elk, venison, boar, bear... I'd had all the others. Now I've eaten Yummy Yogi.

I am currently working on rainbow unicorn earrings made with beads.

YOU GAIS! :cry: Something terrible happened!!! :cry: I FINISHED AN ANIME!!! :cry:

Woohoo!

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score

Learning these things has given me a happy! :D

I probably haven't seen it, but which one?

It was called "Fate/stay night [Unlimited Blade Works]", and HAWT DIGGIDY-DAYUMN! It was full of gaps and plot holes and an entire (p-cool) character was completely forgotten for one and a half seasons, BUT!!! :eek: IT WAS ALSO AWESOME!! Perhaps in spite of, perhaps because of the massive deus ex machina that it all amounted to. It was so BLOODY BLEEDIN' BLITHERINGLY BLIGHTEDLY BUTT-GRASPINGLY B'AWESOME!!! and, like, totes purdy too... :eek:

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
It was called "Fate/stay night [Unlimited Blade Works]"

Oh, I'm actually kind'a familiar! I've only seen Fate/Zero, and then found out afterwards I should have watched other Fate series first, but oh well...

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting times we're living in for sure. Curious to see what the response is going to be, and whether there's going to be a little or a lot outrage. I was, I have to admit, a bit floored at the anger over the new Star Trek series cast, when some "fans" complained about too much diversity and how that ran against the franchise tradition, which made me do a triple take.

Some people are definitely losing their brown stuff on social media. I was watching the women's singles final at Wimbledon as I was away yesterday, and followed it by timeshifting the men's singles and mixed doubles, so I got the Who announcement two hours after everyone else.

There was a comment on an article from a certain UK tabloid newspaper the other day that "no one wants a TARDIS full of bras". Not sure what he thought the many female travellers in the TARDIS over the years were wearing, then...

Meanwhile, happy 110th birthday to my avatar!

Last edited:

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
That moment when your neighbors put their house up for sale, so your family crowds around the computer the go on the realty website, be total snoops, and see what the inside of their house looks like. Meanwhile, your mother #judges them for their paint color choices. :p

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I'll go with sarcasm...

I have my doubts. Folks have also said next should be a male Miss Marple (Father Brown), male Wonder Woman (Superman), all-male Sex and the City (Entourage), and male Xena Warrior Princess (Hercules).

Which is to say, they are butt-hurt and being stupid because all those things they are trying to say would put the shoe on the other foot actually already exist and women aren't out there burning down Twitter because of it. But we might like to see a few more things with women in them instead of just all men, all the time.

OldLadyDog passed away this morning. She was very elderly, and, I think, had realized that her owner was passed away as well and she didn't need to keep waiting for him to come and get her. She had a couple good months with us and did not seem in great distress - just tired.

Time for some ice cream and bed, I think.

Aggy, worn out

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
a bit floored at the anger over the new Star Trek series cast, when some "fans" complained about too much diversity and how that ran against the franchise tradition, which made me do a triple take.

:Wha: I just... :Wha:

It was called "Fate/stay night [Unlimited Blade Works]"

Oh, I'm actually kind'a familiar! I've only seen Fate/Zero, and then found out afterwards I should have watched other Fate series first, but oh well...

I've seen both; Zero first then Blade Works. Chronologically Zero comes first but either way it can be a little confusing. The series is based on a video game with multiple endings, thus there's multiple, very different story lines out there.

Aaand I should go to sleep now. :sleepy:

yumpty-tum

Registered
Reaction score
I have my doubts. Folks have also said next should be a male Miss Marple (Father Brown), male Wonder Woman (Superman), all-male Sex and the City (Entourage), and male Xena Warrior Princess (Hercules).

Which is to say, they are butt-hurt and being stupid because all those things they are trying to say would put the shoe on the other foot actually already exist and women aren't out there burning down Twitter because of it. But we might like to see a few more things with women in them instead of just all men, all the time.

Not to nitpick or anything but this isn't actually a great argument. Those who are upset are upset at what they see as the replacement of the main character within an established franchise. Your examples are all of separate franchises. If they resurrected SITC and after season however-many, suddenly decided to have one or more or all of the MCs undergo gender-reassignment surgery or something, that would be comparable. Or if Wonder Woman got hit by a Magic Ray Gun Of Mysterious Alien Origin and turned into Wonder Man, that would be comparable. But neither of these has happened (nor I think are they likely to). Do I think something like that should happen? Nah. But when it's one-directional - all major character gender changes within a given franchise have been M2F - then perhaps it becomes easier to see how some people might interpret them as being part of a politically-driven agenda. Are they right? Who knows (though in the case of Marvel it seems likely). But at least understand where they're coming from before writing them off as "butt-hurt and stupid".

My thoughts on the new Doctor are simply these: I'm quite excited. Nothing to do with the fact that she's female, just I think that given her previous she'll bring much-needed pathos (of the kind we haven't seen since Ecclestone). I'm happy it's not Kris Marshall coz the last thing we need is another wise-cracking, big-haired, slightly goofy but love-able Doctor Manchild a la Tennant/Smith. I'm still holding out for Idris Elba or Omid Djalili at some point, and given the current turn-over rate that might be fairly soon (*crosses fingers, realises that's the wrong religion, uncrosses slightly guiltily*).

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen both; Zero first then Blade Works. Chronologically Zero comes first but either way it can be a little confusing. The series is based on a video game with multiple endings, thus there's multiple, very different story lines out there.

Zero was one of the best animated shows I've ever seen, they must have had King Midas assigning the budgets. I started Bladeworks, but oddly enough I kind of liked Zero as a standalone story, and I eventually stopped watching. Is it worth picking back up again? (If Damo's enthusiasm is anything to judge by, I would assume yes :greenie)

Not to nitpick or anything but this isn't actually a great argument. Those who are upset are upset at what they see as the replacement of the main character within an established franchise. Your examples are all of separate franchises. If they resurrected SITC and after season however-many, suddenly decided to have one or more or all of the MCs undergo gender-reassignment surgery or something, that would be comparable. Or if Wonder Woman got hit by a Magic Ray Gun Of Mysterious Alien Origin and turned into Wonder Man, that would be comparable. But neither of these has happened (nor I think are they likely to). Do I think something like that should happen? Nah. But when it's one-directional - all major character gender changes within a given franchise have been M2F - then perhaps it becomes easier to see how some people might interpret them as being part of a politically-driven agenda. Are they right? Who knows (though in the case of Marvel it seems likely). But at least understand where they're coming from before writing them off as "butt-hurt and stupid".

My thoughts on the new Doctor are simply these: I'm quite excited. Nothing to do with the fact that she's female, just I think that given her previous she'll bring much-needed pathos (of the kind we haven't seen since Ecclestone). I'm happy it's not Kris Marshall coz the last thing we need is another wise-cracking, big-haired, slightly goofy but love-able Doctor Manchild a la Tennant/Smith. I'm still holding out for Idris Elba or Omid Djalili at some point, and given the current turn-over rate that might be fairly soon (*crosses fingers, realises that's the wrong religion, uncrosses slightly guiltily*).

I don't know much about Doctor Who, but isn't the Doctor an alien who reincarnates and just happens to take the appearance of a human, so they should be able to choose any actor in the world to portray the Doctor with no issues whatsoever?

yumpty-tum

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know much about Doctor Who, but isn't the Doctor an alien who reincarnates and just happens to take the appearance of a human, so they should be able to choose any actor in the world to portray the Doctor with no issues whatsoever?

Yup. Which is why, to paraphrase a certain youtuber (who I shall not name for fear of lynching), the Doctor's gender is worthless to me. I just don't care what lies between the legs. So can we just not make a big deal of it? It's not An Evil Thing That Must Be Stopped and it's not Progress TM And A Good Thing For Humanity. It's just an entertainment show whose MC can take any form and who right now happens to have a female human phenotype. The end. Let's move on.

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
Yup. [...] The end. Let's move on.

This being the case, I'd have to agree with what was said upthread: They seem kind of butt-hurt, and that's where they seem to be coming from, if the Doctor's sex is as irrelevant to the canon as you just said it is.

yumpty-tum

Registered
Reaction score
This being the case, I'd have to agree with what was said upthread: They seem kind of butt-hurt, and that's where they seem to be coming from, if the Doctor's sex is as irrelevant to the canon as you just said it is.

It's not about The Doctor specifically, it's about the trend. In this case it's irrelevant, but given that it's being seen as part of a movement the upset has spilled over into Doctor Who. What's getting to some people (again, not me) is that it's being hailed as some kind of moral victory for a specific political viewpoint. And when you think of it like that, it's going to attract a backlash from those who don't share your political viewpoint. And then to insult them for being upset that you've essentially invalidated their entire political viewpoint? That's not right...

Again, I'm not saying that they're right about Doctor Who. I'm saying that you have to understand that there's actually more to other people's ideas than "butt-hurt". You can disagree without demonising. Can we try that?

Last edited:

yumpty-tum

Registered
Reaction score
Anyway, I really need to be getting on writing reports that are due tomorrow evening. Coz I'm magic and if the school administration put them on the system today, I can have all 40 done by 6pm tomorrow. With personalised comments and strength/weakness statements for each kid.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
So, when the rumor started going around that the new Doctor would be female one of the comments that stood out was "No one wants a TARDIS full of bras." And, quite frankly, it's not really demonizing to tell someone that sounds butt-hurt and stupid. (In part because there have been female companions before.)

Folks screamed bloody murder over the fact that Rey and Finn were the leads in The Force Awakens. And equally shill about Jyn and Cassian being the leads in Rogue One. They shrieked about Furiosa and how Max was not heroic or active enough. (Seriously. I have lots of opinions about this, but first and foremost is - have you seen the original films?) SF/F have always been dominated by male characters despite having an equally large or larger female fanbase. Now that companies are starting to realize that those fans who are female or PoC or queer will spend even more money if there are characters who "look" like them (a calculated business move for sure, but also a "well, duh" revelation), certain groups of folks are feeling well... disenfranchised because not everything revolves around them any more. Despite the fact that all the things that catered to their tastes and preferences, all the characters they loved because they could so easily see themselves as that hero, still exist for them to enjoy. Now there's just more to go around. The rest of us no longer have to be left out and change character names to the feminine or do an AU version to cosplay.

Incidentally, Marvel (and DC) have a long history of playing with alternate worlds and timelines, but it hasn't been until recently that they started taking seriously the idea that some of those "infinite Earths" must surely have female counterparts to the original male ones.

ION, got up, made tea. Might send out more review requests this morning. Or work on a sketch for the Patreon account. (Don't forget. Y'all can check out the prologue and first chapter for free HERE: Prologue and Chapter 1)

yumpty-tum

Registered
Reaction score
So, when the rumor started going around that the new Doctor would be female one of the comments that stood out was "No one wants a TARDIS full of bras." And, quite frankly, it's not really demonizing to tell someone that sounds butt-hurt and stupid. (In part because there have been female companions before.)

I really, really didn't want to have this discussion. I'm far too busy. And I don't want to end up being told I'm sexist or something just coz I don't think that everyone who doesn't want a female Doctor right now is automatically misogynist. But yes, yes it is demonising to call them butt-hurt and stupid. You have completely failed to allow for anyone at all to have a different view to you for any reason and have instead latched on to a single idea propagated by some on the other side of the discussion and decided that everyone on that side is the same. So yeah, there are some out there who say stupid things about bras. Big whoop. And there are those who are genuinely upset that large franchises are using their medium to promote an agenda that a large part of their customers might have genuine issues with. James Baldock has a great piece in the Metro (yup, the Metro) which is worth a read: http://metro.co.uk/2017/07/16/dear-doctor-who-fans-you-cant-always-have-what-you-want-so-stop-complaining-6783761/. Have a look, coz I think it goes through the issues nicely. Look, you have your views and that's ok. Just recognise that for the most part those who have different views have probably got as good reasons for having theirs as you have for having yours. Y'know, tolerance and all that.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
*de-lurks*

But when it's one-directional - all major character gender changes within a given franchise have been M2F

Out of curiosity, have you considered why this might be the case?

How many originally male-dominated franchises can you name? How many female ones?