Captain Alatriste

Memnon624

A Boy and his Orc . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scottoden.com
Hi all,

Has anyone read Arturo Perez-Reverte's Captain Alatriste? I picked up it and its sequel, Purity of Blood, on Amazon after hearing someone call it a "gritty swashbuckler". As a fan of both grit and buckled swashes, I thought I'd give it a go.

Any Perez-Reverte fans?

Thanks!

Scott

funidream

Registered
Reaction score
Me! I loved CAPTAIN ALATRISTE.

I can't read fiction, when I'm writing - I'm way too into the editing mode - so I haven't gotten to PURITY OF BLOOD. But it's at the top of the list of books I'll be reading after I meet my deadline in July, when I can switch back to reading for pure pleasure.

Last edited:

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
I have read his DUMAS CLUB and deliberately avoided the Alatriste novels because I had been going through edits for my historical to be released is also set in Spain 1617-43 and did not want to unconsciously use anything he had written. Happily, my MC is not fictional.

Memnon624

A Boy and his Orc . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scottoden.com
I can read fiction as I write fiction, just so long as what I'm reading isn't set in the same period as what I'm writing (oO . . . did that actually make sense?). I like Dumas and Sabatini, even though the antique style tends to make my head hurt; I prefer the 'faster' pace of REH's Soloman Kane or Cornwell's Sharpe -- the former a swashbuckler with supernatural additives; the latter kind of swashbuckley, but a darn good read.

Thanks for the replies funidream and donroc! I think I'm going to enjoy this book . . .

Scott

~grace~

the good old days
Registered
Reaction score
I gave it to my brother and he liked it...

(my brother and I are very predictable gift-givers. "gee, I wonder what THIS rectangular present is. a book! gasp! you shouldn't have! and what could THIS rectangular present be?")

Bragna

Registered
Reaction score
i read them all

Hi everybody!

I have to say that i've read all the sequels of Capitan Alatriste in its original language and they are fascinating. It takes you by the hand and shows you how was the Spain and europe of that epoch, they way people thought, dressed and behave. it is very well writen and fast pace adventure, which its a good combination and you don't want to put them down once you start. the research he did to write them its impressive, as all the carachters are based on real people, including Alatriste himself. but not just that, take any map from the cities he mentioned, and you will see he has done his homework brilliantly. its a must read as a historic-fiction novel.

Enjoy