Citigroup lobbyists help write a bill????

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing new here, really. I'd wager most legislation originates in some special interest group before being polished by congressional aides, and the submitting congressperson hasn't even read the final proposal in its entirety.

I also wouldn't be surprised to learn most congresspeople read only the executive summary (if that) before signing on in support (or opposition).

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Nothing new here, really. I'd wager most legislation originates in some special interest group before being polished by congressional aides, and the submitting congressperson hasn't even read the final proposal in its entirety.

I also wouldn't be surprised to learn most congresspeople read only the executive summary (if that) before signing on in support (or opposition).
Yep.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
This is where bills come from. The point is, do the reps pass them or not? Heck, there is a word or two in some Bills that originated from my keyboard. I was an expert on the subject so it was run by me and I suggested some changes.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I would not be surprised to learn that a Senator or Representative hasn't put pen to paper for a bill since The New Deal came into effect.

AVS

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not surprised. Representatives of the people (by that I mean democratically elected in any country) are rarely experts on most subjects. Lobbyists and the groups they represent are. It's up to the representative to make a judgement on the input, and that input is usually from all sides.

Not saying it can't be corrupted but experts of any kind always have a favoured angle. We elect folk to make the either/or decisions for us.

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
Not saying it can't be corrupted but experts of any kind always have a favoured angle. We elect folk to make the either/or decisions for us.

You know, I tend to agree with this, but when I read stuff like,
The legislation has garnered broad bipartisan support in the House, even after lawmakers learned that Citigroup lobbyists helped write one of the bills, which would exempt a wide array of derivatives trading from new regulation.

The bills are part of a broader campaign in the House, among Republicans and business-friendly Democrats, to roll back elements of the 2010 Dodd-Frank Act, the most comprehensive regulatory overhaul since the Depression.
I start to think their decisions aren't nessecarily in the public interest.

Who's got that quote or sig about trying to solve problems with the same type of thinking that caused them?

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not surprised. Representatives of the people (by that I mean democratically elected in any country) are rarely experts on most subjects. Lobbyists and the groups they represent are. It's up to the representative to make a judgement on the input, and that input is usually from all sides.

The theory that input is usually from all sides sounds nice, but consider real-life cases and we see the concept of concentrated benefits and dispersed costs renders it false.

A relatively small group foreseeing a large windfall can spend relatively massive amounts of money to make that happen. OTOH, the costs are so dispersed across the general population that most who will pay for the program consider it an insignificant matter and even if aware of it may not be motivated to spend a dime to rectify it. While there are a few taxpayer advocacy groups, the vast majority of lobbyists have their hand out in one way or another, looking for government to dip into the taxpayer's pocket to give them money, rather than earn it in competition in the marketplace.

It's easier than producing great products that people really want to buy, apparently.

See also: The Affordable Care Act. :D All kidding aside, to supposedly solve the healthcare problem the government turned over an immense revenue stream to a bunch of crony capitalists selling health insurance.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wait! Our government is making laws and policies based on the best interest of corporations?!?!?
Shocked! I'm just shocked!
:Jaw::Jaw::Jaw:

:sarcasm

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Wait! Our government is making laws and policies based on the best interest of corporations?!?!?

Nope, they're not allowed to do that anymore. There was an election yesterday, and the people voted to stop the cronyism, so it will end immediately. Ain't democracy wonderful?

(Like they'd ever let an important issue like cronyism be voted on by the little people. Who are we kidding?)

Last edited:

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score

One of the main points of the article is that this behavior is rather limited to the House. The main bill being discussed wasn't liked in the senate and the executive has already said they'll veto it.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
(Like they'd ever let an important issue like cronyism be voted on by the little people. Who are we kidding?)
(Like the voters would ever decide to vote based off of who's taking corporate money or who actually reads the bills. Who are we kidding?)

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Who's got that quote or sig about trying to solve problems with the same type of thinking that caused them?
That's one way to get someone out of lurker mode...