Not open for further replies.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had spy cams installed. What's with the plastic leis?

Maryn, far from home

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
That's all we left out? I'm impressed. Things got little wild...

Oh. Um. What plastic leis? We spent the evening studying new ways to make our gardens produce better yields. What were you expecting?

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Found out about a walking club forming up nearby, so kiddo and I rolled out this morning and did a 45 minute walk with a bunch of strangers. It was actually nice. The place that sponsors it also offered a free stretching class after, so we stayed and did that too.

I feel all accomplished!

Gotta get kiddo to her violin lesson today, then the grocery store and THEN I have 7 more chapters of Snake to finish formatting for the print copy. THEN THEN, I can get everything to my cover artist.

Gotta do it today, 'cause we're headed to the in-laws for Easter tomorrow, so that's a whole day shot.

Figure while the cover artist has it, I can figure out the ebook formatting, and then I'll have everything in some semblance of order.

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Cadbury Mini Eggs (white chocolate ones!) were indeed part of my surprise Easter Egg hunt that T. staged all over the apartment.

Oh yeah and someone stole her car. Probably last night, but since we were at ComicCon all day yesterday, we can't really tell. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard frosting stole it right off our apartment complex' parking lot. Notified the police and drove around the neighborhood, but nothing. The thing is it's a 1991 CRX, basically worthless other than the fact that T loves that car and has had it fixed up really well so it's a great commuter car. The good thing is it's really distinctive because not many of these are around, but yeah... shitty, shitty end to an otherwise absolutely fantastic weekend. I can't even.

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Sorry for the downer. But the upside, we CAN function with just one car, since we work really close together and (mostly) the same schedule. This week is going to really suck though, because I will practically be living at school because we're producing a new issue of the paper. Anyway, trying to think positive and hoping that the FB signal boost or our own search may turn it up somewhere. It's a really rare, distinctive car, so here's hoping. Of course now I'm worried about my car as well. Property management hasn't seen anything, but will help with the search. Meh. Shitastic ending to an otherwise fantastic weekend, though I'm utterly exhausted.

Okay, onward to the awesome that was Salt Lake ComicCon this weekend, which was apparently huge enough to now be the third largest ComicCon in the nation, only outnumbered by NY ComicCon and SD ComicCon. Very cool and tons of very awesome, happy, creative nerds in attendance. I took many many pictures and had many ask to take mine/our (I went with T. yesterday) pictures taken. I was cosplaying as the 10th Doctor, Captain Hammer and yesterday, we did a Firefldy genderbent Captain Mal (T.) and Jayne (me).

Oh yeah, and we got to meet Nathan Fillion, who promptly man-handled T. (made even more hilarious because T can be painfully shy around people), but he went all "Who are you dressed up as?" and latched on to her and I. And I got to hug him. So life=WIN as far as that was concerned. Also, Adam Baldwin is very tall.

39ca2b73-1fcd-4101-b73a-7eeb8827d291_zps6bee8937.jpg

And I met James Marsters! Who was super nice and HILARIOUS! The picture turned out kind of terrible (really, lens glare? Even my students know how to spot and avoid that). Still, awesomeness. And no, he doesn't look 51. At all.

598cb540-3e06-4fac-b425-a579e48e0c89_zpsa3063c08.jpg

So yeah, gorram car thieves. Take my love's car, but you can't take the nerdiness from me.

Last edited:

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all. Happy easter to those who celebrate. We "celebrated" by having cinnamon rolls with breakfast, and will make a nice dinner later. :)

Other than that, we are doing stuff around here and some work we both need to do today. Like...Maybe, just maybe, I will start working on that new project while I wait for the next round of revision notes. maybe. :)

Hope all are well.

Dys -- yay that comicon was fun, but boo on the car thief.

~suki

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
*wave*

Spent the day at the inlaws, and it was surprisingly pleasant. (not that it's ever UNpleasant there, just that today was particularly nice) Even got a nice surprise phone call from my grandmother down in Florida.

Then, I came home, finished up the last bit of format tweaking, assembled all the assemblages, and shot an email to my cover artist. I'm really doing this thing.

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ello,

Dys - sucks about the car. Hope it all works out there. Glad you had a good time at the con.

I gathered about 10 pounds of morel mushrooms yesterday.... Largest find ever for me. Having several people over tonight for dinner.

Let's see I did some planting and mulching on my grandmother's property yesterday as well. So far it looks like I have a wonderful sprouting going along my rows.

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OH and I thought I had left my wallet at home today. Then I went to get out of the car and it fell out of my backpack....

IT'S A MIRACLE!Right?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Praise the miracle-maker!

Dys, that sucks about the stolen car, but since it's distinctive, maybe it'll be spotted parked somewhere and recoverable. Don't forget to use Craigslist;'s Lost and Found, along with a photo of the car, to spread the word and image even farther. If you use phrases like "wandered away from home" rather than stolen, it seems to generate good will.

Caleb, ten pounds of morels, wow. What did you serve at your dinner which used some of them?

Clearly I'm back from the city, where the latest thing appears to be coughing up a lung without covering one's mouth. I'm just waiting on two things, my edits which are due Friday, and to get really sick. Great timing, world.

Maryn, checking her email often

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Please do. We're a mushroom-loving household and always like new ideas.

So last night on the train we did something we have never done before, use the dining car. It was odd and kind of cool. There are no two-person tables, so they seat you at a table for four and you make conversation or not as you see fit. We started out joining an 88-year-old artistic type who was going to Chicago to recover from his first-ever surgery, and a chemist who'd just finished the coursework necessary for a complete career change. Both interesting people.

The food was fully meh and the service was awful, but it was an hour of something different, which you welcome during such a long, long ride.

Maryn, glad to be home

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hope you got some sleep, Dys.

Anybody following me on Twitter, don't click that link. I was hacked. You know if I'd lost 13 pounds through some miracle method, I'd have talked about it in here, right?

I'm getting pretty disgusted with the frequency of hacks. I've now had every email I've ever had hacked two or more times, all but one credit card compromised (some two or more times), accounts at IMDb, Twitter, Evernote, Dropbox, and a few websites where I shop hacked, and it's frustrating. I give each one a password they classify as strong, share very few passwords (never between sites where money changes hands), and log out when I'm done. I don't know what else I should be doing.

Oh, and while I was out of town, my debit card was hacked. Minutes after I'd made a purchase where I was, someone made a purchase in Valley Stream, New York, at a Target store, for nearly $600. Sheesh. Luckily, I'm not liable for it, but god damn it, I need to stop getting online.

Maryn, who won't, since that's where her friends are

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I'm getting pretty disgusted with the frequency of hacks. I've now had every email I've ever had hacked two or more times, all but one credit card compromised (some two or more times), accounts at IMDb, Twitter, Evernote, Dropbox, and a few websites where I shop hacked, and it's frustrating. I give each one a password they classify as strong, share very few passwords (never between sites where money changes hands), and log out when I'm done. I don't know what else I should be doing.

My password discipline is terrible, so my little brother introduced me to KeePass, which is basically an encrypted password database that you keep on your computer. You only need to remember one master password - to open KeePass, which then keeps all your other passwords safe. For example, if I need to log in to Gmail, I open KeePass with my master password, right click to copy my Gmail password, then right click to paste it directly into the Gmail page. It's slightly more cumbersome than the normal method, but it does mean that all my passwords are incomprehensible strings of gibberish. I don't even know what my Paypal password is, so I don't think a hacker could.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Morels will cure everything, I expect. Especially served with a nice wine with some earthy tones.

Any ideas yet how you'll prepare them? If it were me, I might just saute in butter until they release their juices, and serve that over wild rice or something. When the ingredients are really good, no need to go to a lot of trouble, right?

In other news, I'm 80 pages into the edits of my first book, and so far have not disagreed with the editor enough to reject a single change. I'm not in full agreement with all the aspects of house style, but if that's their style, then all the authors follow it.

Maryn, marching in step but with her cap cocked at a jaunty angle

Status
Not open for further replies.