Strategic Book Group / Strategic Book Publishing / Eloquent Books / SBM

C. K. Casner

is a twisted individual
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm... I suppose since he had bad publicity from the last 'child author' that Strategic would not want to take a chance.

But then, the 'watchdogs' are costing him $20,000 a week; he has to recoup his losses somehow...

Sorry Anne! I meant month!

Last edited:

AC Crispin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.accrispin.com
Bouncing Bobby claimed, in his "lawsuit" (the one that got dismissed because he didn't pursue it after we sent him our interrogaties, make of that what you will, heh heh) that Writer Beware AND James Macdonald were causing him to lose $25,000.00 bucks per month in author income.

And we know Bobby really felt that loss, because "author income" that is, authors paying him money, is how he makes his income. It's sure not from selling books to anyone BUT their authors. I'm sure Bobby's tax records will bear me out. Anyone want to take bets?

(Edited to correct earlier mistake: the amount is $25,000.00, not $20,000 and it's per month, not per week.)

-Ann C. Crispin
Chair, Writer Beware
www.writerbeware.com

Last edited:

Ink-Stained Wretch

Registered
Reaction score
Bouncing Bobby claimed, in his "lawsuit" (the one that got dismissed because he didn't pursue it after we sent him our interrogaties, make of that what you will, heh heh) that Writer Beware AND James Macdonald were causing him to lose $20,000.00 bucks per week in author income.

Wow. I am neither an attorney nor anyone else qualified to advise on proper lawsuit-writing, but the sheer chutzpah of this shocks me. To my non-legal mind, this sounds like an admission of the very charges brought against him, reminiscent of those (possibly apocryphal) stories of lawsuits brought by criminals against their victims: I break into your house intending to rob you, and admit this in court when I sue you after I trip over your umbrella stand and break my leg.

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
“I really, really enjoy writing stories, and I would like to become a professional author so that I can earn enough money to open my own animal rescue centre when I grow up.”

Seems the little 9 year old writer quoted above from the news article gets it. Even she doesn't believe she is a published/professional author with SBG (but hopes to be one when she grows up:)
I suppose the parents are well meaning, proud and just want to make their child happy. They will buy a number of books, give them out to family and friends then hopefully, that will be the end of it before they push too hard and the child goes from naively happy to devastated that no real publisher will touch her.
What I really can't believe is that some illustrator worked long distance with a child for a year on this. I was going to say you couldn't pay me enough but I suppose if the parents were willing to remortgage the house, then perhaps!

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Check out the prices Fletcher is charging for authors to attend/send their books to book fairs (this is from Fletcher's Publish on Demand Global website, which doesn't mention Fletcher or Strategic, but it's essentially the same fee schedule he sends Strategic authors):
PLEASE FILL OUT ONE SEPARATE FORM FOR EACH BOOK.
Otherwise, we are very, very confused.. smile.
Your Name: _____________________________
Your Book Title: __________________________

Translation:
You only need to pay for a translation of your sell sheet if you are attending or displaying your work at the Beijing, or Abu Dhabi show. It is a one time only fee. You DO NOT need to pay it each year.
(No discount for multiple books).
Chinese Translation $111 One time only $______________
Arabic Translation $ $111 One time only $_______________
Gerrnan Translation $111 One time only $______________
Subtotal Translation $____________

Book in Booth and Book In Catalog/iPad

2011 is a pivotal year for children's books because of increasing technology and increasing demand for books in English. We want to do everything possible to have more authors participate. Therefore we have designed a very inexpensive PACKAGE FOR ALL SHOWS.

All Show Package $485 $_________ (Regularly $1600)

Additional Books only $100 Each. Please List Books:
_________________________ $100

---------------------- Individual Shows ----------------------

Taiwan Book Fair:
No Charge if you sign up for any show in time.

Additional Books $100 each. Simply list them under the show you wish them to appear in.
Abu Dhabi Book Fair: $199 $_________
London Book Fair: $ $199 $_________
BEA: New York $199 One time only $_________

American Library Association:
New Orleans $ $199 $_________
Beijing Book Fair: $ $199 $_________
Frankfurt Book Fair: $ $199 $_________
Subtotal: $_________

Or consider all shows for one year at a discounted price
All Show Package $ $485 $_________ (Regularly $1600)

Additional Books only $100 Each. Please List Books:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author In Booth

Authors registering for multiple shows get priority. Authors from the prior year get priority.

We will get back to you with the schedule and what times and dates are available. If you have any specific requests because you know your schedule, please let us know early and we will try to accommodate you immediately.

THESE ARE FOR 1/2 OF A DAY. You may reserve a full day for $1100 total, which is discounted $300 because our administrative overhead is reduced). Simply type $1100 into the blank and we will get back to you. And yes, "buy 3 get one free" does apply" and a full day counts as two for that.

Abu Dhabi Book Fair: $ $899 $_________
Bologna Book Fair: $ $899 $_________
London Book Fair: $ $899 $_________
BEA: New York $899 $_________

American Library Association:
New Orleans $899 $_________
Shanghai or Hong Kong Book Fair: $899 $_________
Beijing Book Fair: $899 $_________
Frankfurt Book Fair: $899 $_________
Subtotal: $_________

If you would like to attend more than 4 shows, please email us directly. If you sign up for 3 shows the 4th is free.

==================================

GRAND TOTAL $___________________

As mentioned, please let us know your plans and intents. You can reserve your spot and all payments are guaranteed.

C. K. Casner

is a twisted individual
Registered
Reaction score
Ha! I didn't know German was spelled with 2 r's and an n

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
I don't know what the heck a "sell sheet" is but why would anything need translating. Publishers have people that speak English and would send them to a book fair if looking to purchase foreign rights. I've worked with Korean Editors who speak perfectly fine English.

Lesley S. King

Registered
Reaction score
Absolute Write is the most helpful site I've ever found. It seems that for every question I come up with you writers have an answer. Thanks so much.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I just picked up a local newspaper this morning and read about a new author's book deal. It got my literary senses tingling, and bingo . . .

The article isn't available online, so I'll quote for future reference:

It took just three paragraphs for former cop Bert Mitchell's hopes of literary stardom to come crashing down.

Opening a letter from top publisher Pan Macmillan his heart leapt at the first line, which favourably compared his work to both TV series Life on Mars and best-selling author Martina Cole.

The second paragraph talked about how much promise he showed.

Sadly paragraph three began with the dreaded 'unfortunately,' in this case 'unfortunately due to financial constraints' no first time authors were being taken on.

To me that sounds like a form rejection, Although he did show promise.

Taken on by two literary agents 'rejection after rejection' meant they eventually had to let him go.

Then my instincts started tingling:

His perserverance has now paid off and the page-turning thriller was recently published by American firm Strategic Book Group.

Strange that an US publisher would be interested in a book set in Glasgow and the Trossachs that wouldn't sell to a UK publisher I thought.

Parallel Lines is now available to buy in all Scottish Waterstone's branches as well as online under the name RJ Mitchell

So just in the Scottish Waterstone's then? Why not the rest of the UK?

I don't know which is depressing me most, a promising writer getting sucked in or an ex-cop and journalist who can't do research.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I've just checked Waterstones.com and they don't even stock it. It is available through WHSmith's, at a pricey £10.25 and a 4 week delivery time [print-on-demand anyone?]

Then I tried Amazon. Oh look, a five-star rating from a reviewer who has only ever given one review. :rolleyes:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1609761952/?tag=absowrit-21

Edit: Did eventually find it on Waterstone's through a google search. Odd. Turns out the book was published back in December 2010.

Last edited:

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I don't know which is depressing me most, a promising writer getting sucked in or an ex-cop and journalist who can't do research.

Weirdly it was also a police officer who wrote to me saying she was represented by the Bounder but would I look at her picture book (which of course he had never sent to anybody legit.)

elindsen

Zombie lovin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.augustkert.blogspot.com
*comes out of lurking in sheer embarrassment for another author...*

One of my author friends is pubbed through them. You should see the illustrations for her book. I could do better. It seriously looked 4th grade. Okay, had to share my shock and aww. Back to writing(iif I can stay away from you guys :) )

Last edited:

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
One of my online author friends is pubbed through them. You should see the illustrations for her book. I could do better. It seriously looked 4th grade.

Did she tell you if Strategic made her pay for the illustrations?

- Victoria

elindsen

Zombie lovin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.augustkert.blogspot.com
Sorry. I forgot I posted here lol. No, she didn't have to pay for her illustrations because her friend did them. Sad part is she now thinks she's a real illustrator so she's spending boatloads of cash to send stuff to Scholastic and such.

ETA: Just checked her website. They did tell her she had to pay. It wasn't listed, but she said it was too high. After the pictures were drawn, she had to pay to convert into digital for the book to be finished. This fee appears on another author websites I've checked. Plus the illustrations must be expensive. I've found a few others who have had friends/family do them.

Last edited:

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I was in Glasgow yesterday and found a copy of Mitchell's book in Waterstone's.

Very poor quality. The jacket design was poor, printed on cheap paper. There was a contents page for the chapters which was a bit weird in a novel.

Then I read the first chapter. All I will say is that there was a reason for the rejections, it was really poorly written. Now I'm suspicious of the 'agents' that signed him. As for Macmillan, they were being incredibly nice [if the story is believed.]

As for being 'available in all Scottish Waterstone's' I've been in Glasgow, Stirling, Perth, Edinburgh, Falkirk and Dunfermline this week and only seen it in Glasgow.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Now I'm suspicious of the 'agents' that signed him.

No need to be suspicious; we know for sure.

As for being 'available in all Scottish Waterstone's' I've been in Glasgow, Stirling, Perth, Edinburgh, Falkirk and Dunfermline this week and only seen it in Glasgow.
Technically "available." PublishAmerica uses the same weasel-wording. Available at the special-order desk.

As to being on the shelves in the Glasgow shop, I see that the subtitle of the work is "The Glasgow Supremacy." I suspect the author has a local connection, went to the manager in person, and begged.