The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Williams 3

Contact Info for H.B. Marcus...

Ann, per a very recent posting of the afore mentioned on the PA boards, he gives his email address as:

hbmarcus(at)adelphia.net

Edited to change @ to (at) in order to try to foil at least a couple of those email-snagging spider bots.

James D Macdonald

Re: Contact Info for H.B. Marcus...

Two other major PA boosters the reporter might want to talk with are Robert Amoroso and Lynn Barry.

Amo lives in northern New Jersey; Lynn lives in western New York.

bluwinteryfox

Re: What's so sad about all this is...

Unknownauthor. So you're happy with what PA doesn't do. I'm happy for you. I however am not. My contract states that I have to help with promotion. They have done nothing other than place my book on the different on-line bookstores.

I was not one of the lucky authors who in the AQ was asked for the editor of the local paper. Twice I emailed support and never received a reply, so I asked on the message board. HB laid into me telling me that was a contract issue and the boards weren't the place for it. Then Info replied telling me that I never sent them an email and please do so now. All I wanted to know was when did this new thing happen, and why weren't us that were still waiting for proofs and printing, be given the same opportunity. Calling me a liar on their public boards was unprofessional.

You say you'll lose money. How much have you made? In my two royalty checks I've received about $40.00 total. I'm still in the hole with the 10 books I purchased, the bookmarks, business cards and fliers I made. I'm one of a few who actually had hoped that by having PA publish my book, I'd be making some money.

If I had known that PA would not promote, that they would not edit- all they did with my manuscript was add one comma- I would never have gone with them. I believed when they said in the contract and their now changed facts page, that my book would be edited line by line. I can't afford to pay someone to edit my book, but then why should I? Isn't that what an editor does? Fix the problems you missed.

When I asked things to be fixed, they refused. I pushed and pushed to get some of the typos fixed, yet there are still a lot in the finished product. I Hate the finished product. The color is not the color I agreed to. There are typos throughout the book. I was happy when the package arrived, but when I saw the cover then checked for the last two typos I knew about and saw they were still there I was hurt. After calling PA then sending emails, they told me the typos I found were okay because all books have some typos. And that the color of the book would not be redone because the cover of the book doesn’t affect sales.

If you're happy fine. You're one of a few. There are a lot of us who are not happy with the broken promises and the lies.

This board is a great place. I just wished I had found it before I signed the contract. I’ve learned a great deal from reading it. I know if I have a question I can post it here or on one of the other threads and someone will reply.

Monique

DaveKuzminski

To all our critics

Consider this. We even help PA by putting reporters in touch with PA's best supporters. Would anyone at PA do the same in reverse?

unknownauthor

Thank you for the information on agents, I had heard this but have yet to find one that didn't talk about money up front. I am probably looking in all the wrong places.

James D Macdonald

I am probably looking in all the wrong places.

You are definitely in the bad part of town. Put your hand over your wallet and walk quickly away.

Go <a href="http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/archives/004772.html" target="_new">here</a> for more.

DaveKuzminski

Unknownauthor, despite what PA and some of it's most fanatical supporters might think of some watchdog sites, that doesn't obliterate the fact that we have a wealth of good, solid information on agents as to who is good and trustworthy and who is not. If all of the agents you find interesting want money up front, then I suggest you take a brief side trip to P&E to view the agency listings there. You'll find that just about every agent that wants money up front is not recommended and that many agents who can back up their efforts with real sales to point to are appropriately annotated with a $ symbol within their listings. Then you can quickly eliminate many of the charlatans from your list of agents to consider.

If your friends tell you that it's wrong to visit our sites, ask them if they were drowning whether they'd refuse a life preserver thrown to them by someone they didn't like. Then again, you don't have to tell them that you did. Just let them think that you're smarter than they are and know more about who to trust.

By the way, if you visited Making Light as James suggested, you probably noticed that the editor of a significant publishing house recommends Writer Beware and P&E.

unknownauthor

Monique,
I kind of remember HB telling someone something was a contract issue...but I don't remember too much else about it. There are a few of the authors who blast anyone who has a question, it is too bad.
I wrote the post you replied to for the purpose of showing that I am not a "newbie" who doesn't know what they are talking about. I never said I was happy with what PA does not do, I simply can live with it for my situation, yet believe it or not, I am concerned for my fellow PA'ers.
I went with Publish America because from reading various things about them, I was sure it was the fastest way to be published, and that was what I was looking for. How much money have I made? Lots more than your $40 royalty, but then again, as I said, I buy and re-sell my books so this is different from depending on a royalty check.

Consider this: I really had to think for a while before I joined so that I could post and join the conversation. Why did I have to do that? And why is my user name different than any username I have ever used. Probably because I do not want anyone to know who I am. Now, if I am 100% confident that I can say what ever I want, why am I hiding, and who am I hiding from? I think you all know the answer to that, I know this board is monitored and while I want to participate, I do not want everyone to know it's me. It does not take a rocket scientist to realize that I am concerned with the consequences of belonging to this group. I see there are some here who are suspicious of me, but you need to look beyond you, to see what might be going on. I am concerned.

AC Crispin

Thanks, Folks

Thanks for the email address for H.B. Marcus. I will pass it along to the appropriate party.

-Ann C. Crispin

DaveKuzminski

Re: Contact Info for H.B. Marcus...

James, we shouldn't forget Marti Talbot and Joyce Rapier who are also ardent PA supporters.

Kate Nepveu

"the cover of the book doesn't affect sales"

bluwinteryfox said:
After calling PA then sending emails, they told me the typos I found were okay because all books have some typos. And that the color of the book would not be redone because the cover of the book doesn’t affect sales.
Oh, wow. I don't know why this of all PA statements grabbed my attention, but really! By this logic we'd all be buying books with white covers and the title and author in plain black ink. Of course book covers affect sales--just off the top of my head, I can think of several books that I've picked up and eventually bought because they had a really eye-catching cover. And _this_ kind of book cover tells me that it's a technothriller under that cover, which I'm not in the mood for today, and _that_ kind of book cover tells me it's a bodice-ripper which I'm also not in the mood for today, and _this other_ kind of book cover tells me that it's a fantasy on the literary end, and yeah, maybe that's what I want, let's take a look.

It really defies belief.

James D Macdonald

Re: "the cover of the book doesn't affect sales"

...the cover of the book doesn’t affect sales.

In the case of PA books, the covers really don't affect sales -- sales aren't made (and aren't intended to be made) to strangers looking at the books on bookstore shelves.

<HR>

Now, I mentioned four kinds of PA authors. They are:

1) The author who wants a few copies of his book typeset and bound. These can be for gifts -- mom's poetry. Or because it's more convenient than a stack of manuscript pages -- granddad's memoires. Or people who are just looking to sell books face-to-face and hand-to-hand -- the poet who wants to sell copies after his readings; the inspirational speaker who wants to sell copies from the back of the hall after her lecture -- and wants to have a steady supply without having to fill the garage with cartons of books. For these people, PA probably isn't a bad choice.

2) The person who wants to be an author as a Fantasy Role-Playing Game. They get an advance! They can get their picture in the paper! They can arrange a signing, and sit for an hour at a table in a bookstore! They're as much authors as Civil War recreationists are soldiers. But as hobbies go it's cheaper than photography and safer than sky diving, and only annoys the random bookstore owner. Probably not a bad deal for them, either.

3) The people who think that this was real publishing; they tried, it didn't work. Sigh. Too bad. These are the ones who honestly believe that PA is genuine publishing; they believe that most authors don't get bookstore distribution, they believe that authors are expected to do all the promotion themselves, they believe that editors only check for misspellings. They honestly believe that this is what publishing is like (perhaps with exceptions for celebrities) from Random House right the way down.

They're disappointed, but they aren't anti-PA; they're quiet in their disappointment. Perhaps they wrote a dandy book. Perhaps their current book wasn't too great (even if PA told them that it was publishable and selected and all) but their next one might have been, if they'd kept on writing. Even if they do keep on writing, they might not submit the next one, because who needs the hassle? Maybe they wrote to ask, and got one of those deliberately nasty "don't take that tone with us" blow-off letters.

For these people, PublishAmerica is a bad choice. They've been harmed, but we're not going to hear from them.

4) The fourth group are the ones who believed that PublishAmerica was a real publisher. They expected PA to act like a publisher. When they discover that PublishAmerica is to publishing what a mud pie is to an apple pie -- they get perturbed. These are the ones who are vocal. They wanted readers. They wanted a career. And they got zilch. For these people too, PublishAmerica was a bad idea. They're the ones who are hollering "Scam!" and you know something? They have a point.

<HR>

One of the things you keep hearing from PA is that if you complain that real publishers will know you're a whiner and won't even look at your next manuscript. This is a lie. It's designed to shut people up. The people who they're trying to shut up are in categories three and four.

Your big PA boosters are in categories one and two.

Thing is -- PA could go completely honest and not lose the Category One and Two people. Which means, to me, that an awful lot of their money comes from Category Three and Four folks.

DaveKuzminski

Or, James, it means that PA knows so little about publishing that they fear they'll lose the first two groups if they let the others out.

That or PA feels they need those others as vindication that they're actually a publisher. I guess they never realized that holding hostages, regardless of how they're held, is always in bad taste and certain to limit your social boundaries.

Kate Nepveu

Uncle Jim:
In the case of PA books, the covers really don't affect sales -- sales aren't made (and aren't intended to be made) to strangers looking at the books on bookstore shelves.
You're right, of course. I was so appalled at the other-dimensonality of that statement that I forgot who'd said it and their operating principles.

Just another telling little point about the real model of PA.

vstrauss

>> In the case of PA books, the covers really don't affect sales -- sales aren't made (and aren't intended to be made) to strangers looking at the books on bookstore shelves.<<

Ditto for price, which is another thing PA claims doesn't affect sales.

- Victoria

Dhewco

curious

I'm curious if there are plans for a party when this reaches 200 pages? LOL, j/k.

James D Macdonald

Re: curious

I'm curious if there are plans for a party when this reaches 200 pages?

Nah -- we're going to copy it into MS Word format and submit it to PA.

publishorperish

Re: curious

I'd buy a copy of that, except that it'll probably cost upwards of $24.99. :rollin

unknownauthor

James D. Macdonald,
Absolutely a great post and I think you hit the nail on the head exactly. I am in catagory 1...but that doesn't mean I don't feel bad for the others.

HapiSofi

'The color of the cover doesn't affect sales. The price doesn't affect sales.'

There are newbies here, so I'll say this explicitly, even though the sheer obviousness of it makes me feel a little dizzy:

-- Color matters. Everything about the cover matters. That's why the industry puts so much work into covers. They're an all-important selling tool, especially when you're selling an unknown author.

-- Price matters. It doesn't matter quite as much if the author already has a ravening fan base that's waiting at the bookstore's door at opening time on the day the new book goes on sale--but for everyone else, it matters. If you're an unknown writer, appropriate pricing is essential. An overpriced book can kill your sales.

-- Every book has typos, but typos are never good. More to the point, what PA does isn't editing, and their text production cycle is literally as skimpy as it's physically possible to be and still make books. When text is as bad as it is in many PA titles, the book suffers a disastrous loss of credibility with readers and reviewers.

These facts are so basic that it's impossible to imagine that PublishAmerica honestly doesn't know them. The only reasonable conclusion is that PA is telling its authors a bunch of big fat barefaced lies.

FM St George

PublishAmerica and pricing...

I remember when I found out that my 43 page children's book (NO illustrations) was going to be priced at $12.95 - I was shocked! Here I am, thinking it'll be like the ones on the shelves at my LOCAL BOOKSTORE with a pricing way under $10.

Of course, then I made the mistake of mentioning it on the boards and was thumped soundly by The Logo as well as the rest of the posters for not "believing in my book" and that the public WOULD pay for a quality product, which it obviously was. After all, what sort of an author could I be if I didn't have faith in my product?

I still feel filthy for selling it at $10, but that's what I need to do to break even thanks to the crappy "discounts" that PublishAmerica gives the authors.

ONLY your family and friends will tolerate the high prices in the long run - a stranger here and there might pick it up out of pity, but believe me - you will NOT be able to compete with the rest of the publishing world. And don't fall for this POD crap - they can publish it cheaper and would... except that they make their money off of the authors PAYING the exorbitant prices and then trying to resell them out of their car.

NO traditional publisher asks their authors to be travelling salesmen and women. NO publisher.

Peas, out.

maestrowork

HapiSofi, right on! I'm sorry to say, covers matter (color, design, etc.) It's the first thing a potential buyer sees. It's like food -- if it's the wrong color (can you say blue mashed potato or black eggs?) or bad presentation, no one is going to want to try it no matter how delicious it is.

And price. I ain't going to pay $20 for a paperback, that's for sure.

HapiSofi

Re: PublishAmerica and pricing...

There's an easy answer to so many of PA's assertions: imagine that you're a reader in a bookstore. Does price matter? Of course it does. No amount of believing in your book is going to change that. Fairy dust doesn't trump the little number printed on the cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.