XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andelana

Secret Stick-Figure Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Do not -- I repeat DO NOT -- come to my section of Appalachia in the summer. 30C is considered a mild summer day; 35 is getting hot, and it's not considered to be really dangerous temps until somewhere in the neighborhood of 38-40 degrees.

Heh :) I did grow up in central California and lived in Indiana before I came to a place that more suited my temperature preferences. ;) I actually still don't mind the heat in CA (summer averages about 102F/39C, occasionally hotter or cooler, but most around that) when I visit. Everyone say it with me, now: it's not the heat, it's the humidity! I had the same problem in Indiana, where temps were not much below what I was used to, but with the humidity/heat index, it felt much hotter. I had air conditioning there, though. :) Most of the time, the weather here suits me just fine. Average daytime temp of about 20-22 in the summer, which is just about perfect. Average dtt of about 8-10 in winter, which also suits me fine. :)

Sorry... Thought I'd multi quoted the person who mentioned ice cream and exothermic reactions... That was very interesting! I knew about the cool/cold water on the wrists thing, I do that a lot. It was a handy excuse for eating some Ben and Jerry's anyway, though. Mmmm, Vermonster. :)

Now we have to figure out how to keep him out. Joy. Rapture.

Good luck with that! I remember my dad and the neighbour having to go after a rattler once because they were afraid it would get to my little brother in his playpen. That was a chore and a half! They found out about it the same way, though, a shed skin.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Upon examination of the skin, we have determined that it's a black snake, definitely non-venomous. So we're not going to try and shut it out of the house. A black snake on the premises is a good thing, keeps out other vermin.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Cantina lives on at least five Continents. Do we have anyone from Asia posting here regularly or semi-regularly? Apologies if I've forgotten someone obvious.

We used to have Debio from Japan. He disapeared.

And now we have to know what 'too hot' is.

weird personal news. My husband just found a snakeskin, who knows what kind of snake. It's about four feet long.

He found it in our laundry room. Which means the little bugger is getting into the house, probably right around where the pipes enter the house.

Now we have to figure out how to keep him out. Joy. Rapture.

Don't trap him in! And he might be helping with the mice.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Upon examination of the skin, we have determined that it's a black snake, definitely non-venomous. So we're not going to try and shut it out of the house. A black snake on the premises is a good thing, keeps out other vermin.

Cross posted :)

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
My husband would probably be annoyed at me for telling y'all this, but he cried during Disney's Cars. :p

ETA: Ok, "I didnt cry, I just thought it was touching", he says. xD

Lol! I didn't cry watching Cars. Up on the other hand, I was teared up during the first eight minutes.

I'll admit, I cry all the time at movies. If I know a movie is terrribly sad, I'll refuse to see it because more than likely it'll upset me for a couple of days. I remember in high school an entire weekend was ruined because I saw Pearl Harbor. Now, this doesn't happen with every movie featuring something sad. There are just certain ones that strike a cord with me.

May I present, People's Exhibit A. Or is that "Nature's Exhibit A"?

527989_514545421905923_1406473329_n.jpg

As fresh as it is, it can't be more than 48 hours old.
:eek:

My mother would freak if she found that in our house. Me on the other hand, if I knew the snake wasn't venomous, I'd be actively seeking it out. Yeah, I'm weird like that.

ETA: Just saw your post. Yep, I'd definitely be looking for it.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Morning guys. Three whole days without the Sadness Squid or the Stressmonster, whaaaat? Did somebody put something contraband in my tea?

Also, for me, 25 C is somewhat cold. Wear-a-jacket cold.

Wow... Only ever come to Canada in July and August. And bring a jacket.

All YA is not like The Hunger Games or Twilight. Just saying.

I didn't say it was, just that it's another reason I won't read The Hunger Games. I don't have any interest in most YA good or bad for some reason, and whatever else THG is, it's YA.

Well, it didn't do a lot for my brain really. Luckily, it wasn't such an important job as yours. I was doing 12 hr shifts on a lap-top disc drive assembly line. Mind numbing to say the least. So if you bought an IBM lap-top back in the 1990's and it didn't work. Now you know who to blame.

:roll:

Am I the only thinking "that would make a pretty cool-looking belt"?

Nope.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I am REALLY looking forward to PTA's new film The Master, which is having initial screenings in the USA right now. It plays the Venice Festival and goes on general US release in September and we get it in November. I'm crossing fingers and toes to hope that it gets shown in 70mm here (it was shot in 65mm).

Totally, I think is the only movie I'm excited about on what is left of the year. Also, Phillip Seymour Hoffman as not-L. Ron Hubbard makes me quite curious.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Don't worry about me and cold, this trip to Peru showed me I can handle it well down to, I don't know, 7 C.

Also, one of my life's dreams is to ever see snow.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
What really kills me is not the heat but the sweat, I'm relatively fair-skinned, so I tend to burn too easy and get this bothersome sweat-related rash, especially on my head.

Also, for me, 25 C is somewhat cold. Wear-a-jacket cold.

Max, if you're going to NYC, bring a jacket. It's now mid August, which means the temp can be anywhere from a high of 28 c to a low of 16 c.

It's currently a lovely 20 c in the house and a nice 17 c outside. huzzah for fall!

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not really... Been here and there. Looking forward to stopping by more often and hanging out with you guys. ;0)

Welcome to the Cantina, WT.

I had me that date last night and I think it went very well indeed.

Hai Fife!

I think you more than earned your :Coffee: and :Cake:

psst. The cake is a lie.*

Augh! I have three days off, from today through Monday, my first days off since May, and yet I am not writing.

Sometimes it's okay to just enjoy your time off.

Someone haul out the whips.

Less-Than-Three.

Regardless of the individual blend, Axe is almost always the most strong, flat, cloying-ass scent in the history of human grooming. Invariably used either by someone trying to cover the fact that they haven't showered, or by insecure men with no sense of smell to speak of. You can usually smell 'em before you see them.

BWA-HA-HA!

I am super super super bored, and yet I'm not writing. Damn me!

*cough*seeabovestatement*cough*

:D

My husband would probably be annoyed at me for telling y'all this, but he cried during Disney's Cars. :p

Best. Pixar. EVAR!

*sniff*

*tries to imagine how RA would react to 48 degree C*

I'll tell you how CM reacted to it: Many four-letter words.

The Cantina never dies. It does occassionally nap.

True fact.

May I present, People's Exhibit A. Or is that "Nature's Exhibit A"?

527989_514545421905923_1406473329_n.jpg

As fresh as it is, it can't be more than 48 hours old.

Ah, sorry about that.

Your home is lovely, BTW.

Morning gang. Whut up?

*Engage Time-Suck Engines! mwa-ha-ha!

Last edited:

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Max, if you're going to NYC, bring a jacket. It's now mid August, which means the temp can be anywhere from a high of 28 c to a low of 16 c.

It's currently a lovely 20 c in the house and a nice 17 c outside. huzzah for fall!

I'm mostly travelling light to save time on customs and because dad insists on getting me clothes once I arrive to the US.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
It only ever goes up to 25 for a few weeks here if at all. That's why 30 kills me so hard.

But it goes to -20 or more in the winter, and that's in the daytime.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Checking out my iTunes library I kick myself realizing that I don't have Evita in it! Also, downloading Prince of Egypt soundtrack makes me yearn for more villain songs in my music.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
The Cantina lives on at least five Continents. Do we have anyone from Asia posting here regularly or semi-regularly? Apologies if I've forgotten someone obvious.

Nope, if there was, I'd have someone to talk to between 3-630ish around here.

Don't worry about me and cold, this trip to Peru showed me I can handle it well down to, I don't know, 7 C.

Also, one of my life's dreams is to ever see snow.

Snow is horrid. It tends to make everything slippery, freeze your hair into a helmet if it's too short, and wet everything even without trying. It also is cold, cold beyond measure.

Timezonez win again :p *avoids being sucked into the black hole of doom*

It's early morning, and me and my brain are having issues again. I thought I'd resolved them, but apparently not. I've been training my brain for years to be exacting and scientific and questioning, but it's not doing me any use now, because there are no precise answers. I'm just so confused.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
I just found out that our cable provider is now offering BBC America in HD!

:e2woo:

And now back to your regually scheduled Cantina...

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Awesome, LadyV! I wish I could watch BBC America. Or at least iSat, they show Little Britain, The IT Crowd and That Mitchell & Webb Look (along with The Whitest Kids U Know and Portlandia)

Glad to hear that, Kuwi. :) A tapestry sounds cool, I have a poster of Mordor hanging over my bed. Also, I sleep with the left side of my bed against the wall for nostalgic reasons.

So, tomorrow at this hour I shall be on the plane... any final advice, merry crowd? :)

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
My mother would freak if she found that in our house. Me on the other hand, if I knew the snake wasn't venomous, I'd be actively seeking it out. Yeah, I'm weird like that.

ETA: Just saw your post. Yep, I'd definitely be looking for it.

I would too. Absolutely love snakes, perhaps because we don't get any particularly nasty varieties in the UK (adder excepted)

Oh Resi, don't bring out the closet wrasslin' fan in me. I'll only sit here and grumble about how the mid-90's-early 00's was the Golden Era.

Status
Not open for further replies.