Hello From The UK

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
(first off, sorry if resurrecting older threads isn't allowed, I didn't want to start a new one if it already existed)

I'm a Brit, based in Norfolk (or should I say Naaaaaarfulk, and no I don't have webbed toes, that's just people from Yarmouth) and I have to say that all you other non-norfolk Brits are just as furren as the proper furreners.

Especially if you come from Suffolk.

Anyway, my deep, abiding viciousness and mockery aside, it's nice to meet you all.

Hi Anninyn!

Another furrener here - originally from the heart of Sherwood Forest, now living in Cambridge. It's way too flat here for my liking and there are far too few trees, but the architecture is lovely!

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Hi there. I'm a lifelong Hampshire resident (though born just over the border in Wokingham, Berks as that's where the nearest maternity hospital was then).

I write short fiction in various genres, DVD/film/book reviews and occasional related articles, and novels (some adult, latterly YA). I'm published in the first two, not published as a novelist...though I am working on it.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I'm from Scotland here as well, up in the Highlands not far from Nessie.

Sometimes I find myself looking forward to the warm summer days, then I remember where I live...

HouseboundWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thehouseboundwriter.blogspot.com
I'm from Scotland here as well, up in the Highlands not far from Nessie.

Sometimes I find myself looking forward to the warm summer days, then I remember where I live...

I played a round up at the Nairn Dunbar Golf Club well I say a round as I recall my friend and I were both about 20 over after 8 holes and were asked to leave. It’s nice up there on the Moray Firth coast.

JHUK

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writingalchemy.wordpress.com
OK thank you, it seems a lot further by car, i recently drove past on the way back from Cornwall and it seemed to take forever to get home from there.

That's because in the UK you can't really count the miles for distance... you have to count the time it takes, instead. Too many little winding two-lane roads where passing isn't possible and one traffic accident, no matter how minor, takes hours to clear for some strange reason.

I live in the outback of East Kent and we have to go around the M25 almost anywhere we go. That takes FOREVER!

Chiquita Banana

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
libby-mercer.blogspot.com
Hiya folks.

I thought this might be a good place to post: I am hoping to form a critique group in London. Really missing the workshop vibe from undergrad... My stuff is women's (not romance, though) and commercial (I hope!) rather than literary.

I was thinking if I could find a few people who were interested, we could meet once a fortnight for a couple of hours at a centrally-located coffeehouse or something, play it by ear, see how it goes. No fee. (That was ALL I could find on Gumtree.)

If anyone's interested, let me know. :)

Chiq

MikeGrant

Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, fellow UK residents! I'm in Bristol. We have the Clifton Suspension Bridge and the SS Great Britain and... er... the most expensive bus service in the country.

Slamhamster

Registered
Reaction score
The sunny climes of Barnsley, South Yorkshire. No
I'm from the sunny climes of Hull. Despite winning the 'Worst City in the UK' Award for past few years it isn't quite as bad as people make out. The missus is from Barnsley, and that place would clinch the title by a country mile if it ever graduates from being a Town.

Contrary to yorksire stereotypes I don't own a ferret or a flat cap. Nor do I wander around with a scrawny whippet on a bit of string.

Well, not very often anyway.

trailerbride

Northern scum. Southern belle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pankhearst.com
I'm from Liverpool via Tulse Hill, Leeds, Milan, London, Brighton, Bath, Sherborne, and now Texas. Travel may not have broadened my mind but I've been promised four inches of snow tomorrow. In Texas!

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello UK peeps!

I'm born in London, grew up in Brum, now living in rural Wales.

My bloke's from Hull and I've visited there. I thought it was nice. Interesting with all that maritime history and white telephone boxes.

Doobie Cantrip

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a brand spanking new newbie today!
I live in Cheshire (mostly famous for cheese and THE cat) and am going through the painful process of querying my first novel!

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, and good luck with your novel.

Doobie Cantrip

Registered
Reaction score
SaraP ...was just noseying at your profile and saw you're a doula -I'd love that job, if only i wasn't so bad around blood : )

jilly61

aye aye in search of an agent
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:to all the new folks!

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
Morning all, I'm from that party city known for its famous brown ale and its football team whose fans think if they could just sack the board the team would win the European cup. Yes, Newcastle upon Tyne. Home of people impervious to cold and the second most incomprehensible accent in the UK behind Glasgow.

I'm not a proper Geordie lass - you can tell this form the fact I'm known to wear a coat when it snows. I suffer from the congenital weakness of have been born in Sunderland you see. But thankfully we moved from there when I was 14 months old so I never got the accent.

Happy Valentine's Day, lads and lasses.

Goldenleaves

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm from the fens :e2teeth:, yes, from a family who've been fen folk for generations.

I lived in the USA for years.

It was great fun at night, watching police helicopter spotlights chasing felons through the streets while we lounged in the hot tub on the roof. But the weather was a wee bit too hot. So I came back home.

Reading the local paper last week, I see someone didn't give back a tenner he'd borrowed. Can you believe it?

The mad criminals in this place - how do I manage to sleep nights?.

Nothing nicer than grey English days with a bit of a drizzle, or lunatic winds batting at you.

Gee I love England. :e2bouncey